Coconut oil

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by Sta, 18 July 2011 Social URL.

1. Sta

Sta Member

Hi, I've purchased some coconut oil. It's flavoured & therefore I don't want to cook with it. Does anyone else use this & if so can it just be taken on it owns (off the spoon) if so how much & when?
  2. Avatar Matched Content

3. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Low carb
    I know a few people use it, search Minis - there's a thread somewhere on it (sorry, that doesn't sound too helpful!) :)
  4. girlygirl1

girlygirl1 Banned

I use unrefined virgin coconut oil now! If it has a coconut scent and taste it is better for you than the refined stuff where all that has been removed.

Yes you can eat it off a spoon if you like. Some put it in coffee. It leaves an oily slick on the top when it melts but you drink it down in the first few sips.

I have read that coconut oil can help us to lose weight - something to do with triglycerides, I think - as it is regarded as a 'healthy' fat. Since Atkins requires us to eat fat this is a great way of getting what we need. No idea how much we should have per day, but I would think a couple of generous spoonsful would be fine.

I fry with it (I like the taste!), add it to curries and use it to make low carb pastry, pancakes, cookies etc. It's yummy stuff.
Popular Forums
  1. is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.