Cold and Hunger......

Deb G

Silver Member
When I set off at 5.50am this morning to feed and turn out my horse, the car temperature was registering minus 7!!

Anyway - its now 10am and I have eaten my bar - I don't normally even start it till gone twelve, but I feel SOOOOOO hungry. Luckily I have a hot choc 'emergency' pack here, so I can have that later if I am still hungry.

Was just wondering if anyone else is finding it harder to keep on track on these cold days?? :(

Hmmm....found this:

"A drop in body temperature stimulates the appetite and you experience hunger," Nancy Clark, a nutrition consultant of Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, stated in her article, "Winter and Nutrition: Fueling for Cold Weather Exercise." The digestion of food produces a warming effect, so 30 minutes to an hour after eating, the human body creates close to ten percent more heat than it did before.

I usually have my first pack at about 1pm for lunch, but after walking DD to school this morning I was totally freezing, and not sure if it was hunger or not, but wanted something (the first thing that popped in my head for a split second for hot, marmitey toast) so I had half a vanilla made into a latte which warmed me up and then felt fine.
The weather is not going to get any warmer for a while (xmas eve from current forecasts) so I think I will plan a morning half pack after the school run this week to keep any toast thoughts out.

Hmmm...half packs - that's a great idea! I think I will plan one in while the weather is SO DAMN COLD!

Deb, I SSed during the summer and I felt like it was a Russian winter so I can understand how cold you are!!! I used to make my milkshakes cold and add some of it to a coffee so I could have 4 coffees with 'milk' every day with my shake I found that helped. I used most of the flavours eg choc mint, orange etc

Thanks for the tips guys! I managed to get through the worst day on just my 4 foodpacks (it was a miracle!) and I have been much better since. Got weigh in today and by my scales I've lost about 3 lbs so I'm happy with that, particularly as it feels such an achievement this week!

Well done Deb. Good luck tonight. I wont be on til Friday so will catch up with you then.

I must say the only downfall with LL is that I am always cold. Used to hot, but now starting to buy jumpers.

My hands are just freeeezing!!!The rest of me is fine(am sat here in a thick jumper) but my hands just won't warm up!

WoW!! What a brilliant thread. I have been freezing these past days even my husband has constantly been making comments about my goosebumps when he is feeling quite hot and he has even been getting me his dressing gown as he touches me and says I am so cold.

Yesterday i felt a bit out of control and had extra choc food packs hot.

i never realised that cold stimulated appetite. Now I know. I am sitting here fully clothed with my husbands dressing gown on over the top and slippers and my fingers are like ice even thought the heating has been on constantly for days!

My hands are constantly freezing on this diet but it's a small price to pay for how much better I'm feeling in general since I started. I have also completely managed to avoid a cold so far this winter which is completely unheard of me, must be the extra nutrients.

The one time I cheated on this diet I was so hot within about twenty minutes I had to take off a layer of clothing and open a window!

Last edited:
Why is it this diet makes you cold? Anyone know? I read a lot of that here and just wondered.

As I am always too hot - even on cold days - I am hopinh it might balance me out!!

Also - someone mentioned using half a packet for a latte....that prompts another question I have wondered about? What is the volume of the packets when made? I envision little tiny cups of soup and very samll drinks....lol...because I am scared of not having enough. :rolleyes::D

THanks!!

Why is it this diet makes you cold? Anyone know? I read a lot of that here and just wondered.

On VLCDs you feel cold because your body has so few calories it concentrates on basic survival, and that means keeping your essential organs warm and working. It concentrates its efforts in your core at the expense of your limbs, hands and feet.

Also - someone mentioned using half a packet for a latte....that prompts another question I have wondered about? What is the volume of the packets when made? I envision little tiny cups of soup and very samll drinks....lol...because I am scared of not having enough. :rolleyes::D

THanks!!

I make my shakes by putting them in a blender with 200ml of water (the recommended amount) and a couple of ice-cubes. This normally fills a 16floz glass.

The soups I make with a bit extra water and they fill a large mug.

The bars are also a decent size and because they're quite dry (I also have to drink a glass of water with them) they take me about 15 minutes to get through and I'm traditionally a fast eater!

They recommend 180-200mls per sachet, however I find it too thick for a latte. So for half a sachet I make up 250ml and full sachet 500ml (A very tall latte, but lovely). Also the soups I don't like thick, so make them up about 350-400 and drink out of a cup.

I do the same as Ali and make them really thin. I know you aren't allowed to include water used to make up foodpacks in your daily water total, but I can't help thinking that making the vanilla into three big mugs of latte has got to help with liquid intake. What you might want to try, BL, is making a pack with a little bit of liquid (say, half a mug) which will be really thick, then just keep adding water until you like it. It's bound to be an individual choice. By the way, have you got a stick blender? They are really the best way to blend foodpacks, especially the shakes. They give you a free shaker, which I've never tried, but people say it's quite hard to get the shakes smooth in it. You can get away with a hand whisk for the soups.

I don't think you need to worry about not having enough, honestly. None of my group has been hungry, once the first 3 days or so has passed. No, actually, one was but she kept cheating, so I don't think she stayed in ketosis.

Back