Combining Low GI with Slimming World

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
I have decided to try and combine Low GI foods with slimming world.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and Low GI is the recommended diet plan. Actually looking at the Low GI they are quite similar in some areas, but obviously some free foods on Slimming World are High GI, so am going to try avoiding those and see how my weight loss goes.

Also instead of the 1/3 superfree, the Low GI recommends 1/2 of your plate with low GI vegetables and then a 1/4 with your low GI protein i.e. meat/fish and a 1/4 with your low GI carbs i.e wholewheat rice/pasta. Potatoes seem to be a no no though. Alot of the usual lentils/pulses etc are fine though.

Surprisingly though avocado is a low GI food (quarter of one) as are some oils like olive oils, canola etc. It has been interesting seeing the differences.

I do really love Slimming World, but also want to try and get myself as healthy as possible in the long run, so if I can kind of combine the two, then great.

Does anyone else try and combine the two?

this is the concept of low GI for anyone who is not aware

The Low GI Diet focuses on foods that are 'Slow-release' in your body. What this means is that when you eat any food, your body digests that food either, quickly, or Slowly depending on the Glycemic index of that food. Why is that important..
Well, quick 'release foods' are your bodies worst enemy as they are digested quickly by your stomach and your body is unable to burn off the calorie from that food... causing fat deposits to stick to you.
So, the Low GI diet"must" consist mainly of 'Slow release foods' which allow us to burn off the calories ingested.
Slow release basically means that your body is getting energy from your food throughout the day and therefore your fat stores will be limited as the calories from your food will be burnt off throughout the day.

I followed the GI diet for a while, post Atkins, and quite enjoyed it. I did miss potatoes and bananas though.
I hope it works for you hun. x

combined pill is no good for me, as I am trying for a baby, so have to try and make changes in my diet to get myself as healthy as possible.

my mum's got one of Rosemary Conley's GI diet books. it doesn't look to different from Slimming World-you can have sweet potatoes on RC but I'm not sure if they're high medium or low GI.

I dont purposefully follow low GI but I do avoid 'white' stuff most of the time like pasta, bread and spuds. I always go for wholewheat and generally only have chicken or fish.
Also I limit the amount of bananas I eat as I'm aware of all the fat in them.
I'd never buy an avacado though, scrummy but fatty!

combined pill is no good for me, as I am trying for a baby, so have to try and make changes in my diet to get myself as healthy as possible.

Yeah i spent the last 2 years trying, i got sick of trying for the moment. Hence the pill. It will make me more fertile once i come off it. But i have actue fybroids 2 so i dont have a hope in hell!

I don't believe in me and my other half trying anymore, I have been catagorically told i cant. no point in me keeping upsetting my self.

Yeah i spent the last 2 years trying, i got sick of trying for the moment. Hence the pill. It will make me more fertile once i come off it. But i have actue fybroids 2 so i dont have a hope in hell!

I don't believe in me and my other half trying anymore, I have been catagorically told i cant. no point in me keeping upsetting my self.

Awww I am sorry, it is very stressful.

I'm following GL at the moment with accents of Slimming World as the family are Slimming World. I am finding it fairly easy, you are very much most of the way there when you cook from scratch as it is a large emphasis on natural foods and herbs and spices. For potatoes they say that baby new potatoes are fine, for rice I use a three grain mix and add in some buttterbeans to bulk out :)

The only things that are glaringly different I've found is the fact you are working on avoiding sugars in all guises so you have to watch a lot of the low fat items and stick to 70% dark chocolate also getting use to the smaller portions - it is mentioned that your meal should be able to fit in your cupped hands! (which I never thought would work for me but it seems to somehow)

Back