completley o/t but !

dani*r

i need to scream !
in july i was interviewed for and offered a post in the nhs. They said please be patient as crb checks can take up to 8 weeks. So i was patient, even when 8 weeks came and went ages ago and i hadnt heard a thing.
The ward sister has just phoned and asked when im starting, next week ?
excuse me but, i havnt had a formal written job offer, no contract, no idea of shifts or even pay !
2 weeks ago my nanny gave her notice , i havnt found anyone else yet. my hubby goes in for his op on friday, so he wont be able to manage the kids on an evening.

i have waited so patiently, and now that i really cant start immediatley, they want me !
typical.

whats worrying me is , can they unoffer me the job if i take say 4_6 weeks to find childcare ? (its not straightforward as eldest is autistic and needs settling in )

Surely an extra few weeks in the grand scheme of things, considering they have already waited 8 weeks won't be too much. Its recruitments fault you haven't had anything formal so you just need to explain your situation and the fact that no date has yet been agreed.

Can totally sympathise, I've just qualified and was told could start as auxiliary type nurse whilst waiting on registration. Ward manager decided couldn't start till registration is through at end of October, but am getting constant calls asking if it is through. If they are that desperate they could just start me just now and get my supernumerary status out of the way so by time registration is through I'll be ready to go.

Hope you get it sorted.

congrats hun. they should have given you more notice as to when they wanted you to start. id ring and just explain the suitation :) xxx

when i spoke to the ward sister this morning she seemed pretty peeved. shed been told by HR that i was ready to start asap, but who goes into a job without knowing hours, pay or even where they are working ?
The fact that i now have to search for childcare is just an added complication.
they said up to 8 weeks , but it has been over 15. so they will have to wait.

My OH has just been offered a job in NHS for a position he applied for in July - and still no start date - contract - hours - pay ....... is this common in the NHS????

Really hope you can get childcare etc sorted ... how frustrating.

My OH has just been offered a job in NHS for a position he applied for in July - and still no start date - contract - hours - pay ....... is this common in the NHS????

I can only comment based on the NHS Trust I work in.... the answer would have to be a resounding "Yes, it is common".

I started with them in the October and had to chase HR for my contract / terms and conditions every fortnight for 4 months. Finally it arrived, with various mistakes in it and conditions I had not been told about before.

Under employment law, employers are "obliged" to provide employees with a written contract of employment within 2 months of them starting work.

i know there is also an "implied" contract of employment (i.e. not written down) that supposedly comes into effect as soon as you turn up for work in return for being paid, but it is not unreasonable to expect written terms and conditions etc. within the standard timescale!

OK....rant over.

By the way, the ACAS website has a brief leaflet on this, if you are interested in knowing a little bit more.

Click here:

ACAS Leaflet on Employment Contracts

Judders74

my god , doesnt bode well does it ? please tell me they are more organised once you actually start work for them ?

Back