concentrated orange juice

liz1980

hi was wondering if someone can help me, does concentrated orange juice have a syn value?

All juices have a syn value, whether oranges, apples or veggies. Not sure what the syn value is as I don't drink juices at all since doing SW.

Denise

thanks very much for that, i'm new to this, gonna stop drinking it and maybe have a whole orange instead

Hi

Wondering if anyone can clarify the syn value of orange juice, from concentrate and unsweetened please. It was mentioned above that is is 2 syns per 100 ml. I've had a small 200 ml glass this morning but after checking SW booklet it states 2.5 syns per 28ml.(Pg 46 of food optimising)

If this is the case it means my glass had around 17 syns which sounds hefty for OJ!! Help!!

Wish i'd have checkd syns before drinking!!

Freshly squeezed OJ ie straight out of the orange is 0.5 syns for 2 tbsp, or 2.5 syns for 142ml. About 1 syn per orange.

Concentrate is 2.5 syns for 28ml or 1.5 per tbsp.

Standard shop bought stuff is 2.5 per 100ml. (ie not-from-concentrate)

You are always better looking at calories at using the 1 syn for every 20 calories for a more accurate syn value as fruit juice has no free food allowance

It's from Morrisons and defo says 'from concentrate'on the front :( I'm GUTTED that I used 17 SYNS on it!!!!

It's nil fat and 107 cals per 250ml, 25g sugar which is pretty high i guess that's why it's so many syns!! RAGIN'!:mad:

Oh and thanks for your help! :D

It's from Morrisons and defo says 'from concentrate'on the front :( I'm GUTTED that I used 17 SYNS on it!!!!

It's nil fat and 107 cals per 250ml, 25g sugar which is pretty high i guess that's why it's so many syns!! RAGIN'!:mad:

If you had a 200ml glass and its 107kcal per 250ml you had 85.6 kcal. At 1 syn per 20 calories that is 4.5 syns, not 17!

You are always better looking at calories at using the 1 syn for every 20 calories for a more accurate syn value as fruit juice has no free food allowance

If I followed this rule though my OJ would work out at about 5 syns??! I'm honestly shocked about the OJ but appreciate the help!

That is the correct rule. You had 4.5 syns.

So I should follow the 1 syn= 20 cals rule rather than the syn value in the book(2.5 syns per 28ml?)

Sorry if i'm being thick here but i'm getting conflicting info!

That is the correct rule. You had 4.5 syns.

Sorry I had posted the above before I read your reply!!!

ok......Still confused as to why the book would say otherwise but hey I'll take the 4.5 syns :):)

Thanks again x

The things in the back are general guidelines for the average item when you dont have the exact information to hand. eg you could never seriously say every Lamb Rogan in every Indian restaurant was 6.5 syns! Its a guideline.

But for anything that has no free food allowance the rule is 1 syn per 20 calories. (nb: that rule obviously *wouldnt* apply to Lamb Rogan as it has free food in it)

Anyway, glad you didnt have all those syns after all! :) :D

ME TOO!!! Honestly the thought of wasting 17 syns on an OJ nearly had smoke coming out my ears LOL

Think I'll scrap the OJ altogether, even at 4.5 it wasn't really worth it!

I think the concentrated stuff it is referring to is the really strong syrup cordial stuff, which you only need a tiny drop of, hence why if you had 200ml it would be a huge amount of syns

I think the concentrated stuff it is referring to is the really strong syrup cordial stuff, which you only need a tiny drop of, hence why if you had 200ml it would be a huge amount of syns

Yeah perhaps, I had thought that too and they should have put it under the cordial section and not the fruit and veg juice heading! I'm gonna write them a big angry letter...;););)

I drink a lot of water and black teas,do like a glass of diet coke now and then,but really really miss a nice cold refreshing orange juice :( ne suggestions for a nice cold drink?x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If you like bit of fizz you could try low cal squash in sparkling water with lots of ice :)

Back