Confused about Quinoa

Pink_Fluff

Chocoholic
Right this evening I managed to make myself very confused. On my quinoa packet it says a 50g serving as cooked to instructions will have 165 cals but it also says 50g of uncooked quinoa will weigh 120g when cooked.
Are the calories in the 50g serving for 50g of cooked quinoa, therefore making my 50g uncooked quinoa actually contain 396cals?
I don't understand how simply cooking a food in water (I didn't add anything) could possibly make it more than double in calories.
I know this is probably a stupid question but I do find food labelling quite confusing at times.

Is it not 50g of it when it's cooked?
It's just that it's a bigger portion when weighed 1st as it hasnn't got the water weight if this makes sense? x

well it says a 'portion' and I think 50g uncooked makes a resonable portion when cooked whereas 50g of cooked quinoa would be a very small portion. I'm still completely confused!

as a general rule, there are around 360 cals per 100g of raw quinoa, so i'd assume it was the raw value that is 165cals (or there abouts) cooking it in water adds weight, as the quinoa absorbs the water, which is why it weighs more when cooked. it will still have 165cals (unless you add other stuff obv)

hope i've been of a little help. i love quinoa! if you'd like some recipes, i'd be happy to share...

what did you have it with? x

I know, maybe its simple and I'm overcomplicating it but I just don't understand why they don't just give either the cooked or uncooked calories and clearly state which one it is instead of causing confusion!

heehee I think we posted at the same time. I think you are right, I can't see why boiling it up will magically double the calories. I love it but some recipes might be useful, mostly I've been having it when I'd normally have had rice or pasta or noodles so with stirfry or a salad. I really like it cause its so filling!

if it seems ridiculously high (like 395 cals per 50g!!) then it's highly unlikely that it'll be that. think about other grains -rice, millet etc. they all have about 360 cals per 100g uncooked, so just compare it with things like that.

:)

haha, we just posted at the same time again! lol xx

will post some recipes in a wee while x

I would just cook it and weigh out a portion then, this keeps it simple a you get to know what the portion size looks like. It the same as rice is it? in theory.

this serves 4, so quarter the recipe if you're just making for yourself. sorry it's in american measurements, i dont have my english version with me atm. 1 cup = 240ml, so if you have a measuring jug with ml on, you just fill the jug up to 240ml with ingredient (ie. 240ml quinoa)

1 cup organic skimmed milk
1 cup water
1 cup organic quinoa, (rinse quinoa) - i use red quinoa but any will do!
2 cups fresh blackberries, organic preferred
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
4 teaspoons organic agave nectar,

Combine milk, water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir in blackberries and cinnamon; transfer to four bowls and top with pecans. Drizzle 1 teaspoon agave nectar over each serving.
Serves 4.
*While the quinoa cooks, roast the pecans in a 350F degree toaster oven for 5 to 6 minutes or in dry fry over medium heat for about 3 minutes.

is reeeeally nice for a weekend brekkie! x

wow thanks that recipe looks amazing, never thought about making it as a sweet dish will have to try it!

no problemo, will post some more when i have time!

Back