Confused with mince syns

Hayleyj123

Wannabe Loser
I was just looking at the syns online and according to that, minced beef in Iceland, including the lean variety isn't free! I'm confused now! I thought meat was free on original.

Only extra lean mince is syn free I'm afraid. But as some people find it difficult to find and it tends to be more expensive some people are content to use lean mince and drain of any exces fat before using it. I've also heard that you can cook it and then rinse it in boiling water to remove the fat.

i buy ordinary lean beef and lamb mince and fry it gently first them seive it and sit it on some kitchen paper for a few minute,you'd be surprised how much fat comes out of even the lean stuff.
I'm afraid the extra lean just costs more

Or perhaps if you have a butchers, choose a lean piecce of meat and ask them to mince it for you, so much better than the pre-packed ones. Hopefully it's not too expensive to do though

If you live near a morrisons they do the extra lean and its only 10 pence more than the lean mince which itihnk is only 30p more than the normal mince so its not too bad.

I wish i lived near a Morrisons! I can only get to ASDA, Sainsburys, LIDLs, ALDIs and Iceland. Feel like I'm missing out lol

We can't get the extra lean mince over here, the closest we get is 12% fat which is obviously quite high. I use an old Rosemary Connelly tip and boil it first then drain and rinse it before adding it to my bolognese/chilli recipe. I don't know what it would work out to syn-wise but it doesn't seem to do me any harm.

Back