Considering WW - what are meetings like?

MoreRosie

Hi,
I'm really considering WW.
I lost 5 stone on SW and have reached target twice - the biggest problem for me is the fact that I can't seem to maintain on SW (as at target, I find it too restrictive) and I'm back again a stone over my target weight.
It might not seem like a lot, but it is when you're only 5ft 1!
One of my other 'issues' with SW is that I began to really dislike the meetings!
So, two questions - and I do hope that you can help!
Firstly - what plans are available? I've looked online, but still feel a little confused! I don't mind cooking from scratch, but I do like the option of having ready prepared meals available (as I'm a mum of 3 and work full time).
Secondly - what are the meetings like? Will I actually learn new stuff?
All being well, I'm aiming to go to a group tonight :).
Thank you!

Hey! I've never been to SW so I can't compare, but from what I've heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) but SW is more image therapy based with members talking about their weight, what they've eaten etc. In my WW meetings it isn't like that.

You get weighed first by the leader, which is as private as they can make it. There are generally other members queueing behind you but usually they stand further back so they can't see the scales. The leader chats to you as you get weighed to find out how your week's been and if you've had any problems etc. You get given the weeks edition of 'Your Week' the mini WW magazine with tips, recipes and more information about that weeks topic.

If you've lost weighed you get given a pebble for every 1/2 lb you've lost and you take it over to another table where someone else tallys up how much weight everyone's lost, and you pay if you need to or write down your membership number if you're on monthly pass.

Then if you want to stay to the meeting you sit down. The meetings last about half an hour, and at the start the leader gives out any awards- so silver 7's for those who have lost 7lbs (you can get multiple one's for every half stone you lose), 5% or 10% awards etc. Then they talk about that weeks topic and generally there is a chance for members to chip in or ask questions if needed, but nobody really discusses their weight or their problems following the plan as they tend to discuss that in private with the leader.

Meetings are not compulsory, not everyone stays for them. Though you do learn new stuff if you stay and I've always found them helpful. If you sign up for a monthly pass you can go to as many meetings as you want plus you get to use the eSource stuff on the weight watchers website- access to the WW message boards, recipes, the online tracker, recipe builder etc. You also get emailed every week with recipes, tips and the topic for the upcoming weeks meeting so you can decide if you want to stay for that talk or not. If you get the monthly pass you don't have to pay in the meetings each week, and it normally works out at better value. It's £21 ish a month, but I think for new members you get a few months half price or something first.

Our leader has also given us her mobile number so we can contact her if we have any queries or need more support.

With WW you work out the pro points of everything you eat and track it daily. You get given a certain amount of daily points and everyone gets an extra 49 weekly points which you can use as much of or as little as you like. If you have an iPhone then the WW app is great for looking up the PP values of food and tracking it as you go. Otherwise you can buy the WW pro points calculator so you can work out the points from the nutritional information or buy the kitchen scales that work out the PP for you.

If you like buying ready meals then that's fine, you just work out the PP from the nutritional info and track it. There are also quite a wide range of weight watchers meals, though you don't have to buy them, you're not obligated! I just find it easier to buy WW meals every now and again as the points are clearly displayed on the packaging so it's easy.

The reason I really like WW is that it doesn't limit you- you're free to eat whatever you want as long as you point it and fit it in with your daily and weekly points. I never feel restricted. I lost 3lbs in the past fortnight and in that time I had 2 chippy takeaways, a huge roast dinner, a Nandos, a pub burger with chips and a chocolate bar! But I did do about 2 of exercise per day (walking).

Some people hate pointing, and get on better doing Filling & Healthy which is where you don't point but instead only eat the foods listed in green but you need to have good portion control for this. You do get the 49 weeklies to cover anything you eat which is not on the F&H list. Though WW recommend that new members don't try F&H until they've got the hang of ProPoints first.

Sorry I think I've overloaded you with information! If you want anything clarifying just ask.

No worries :) let us know how you get on.

I forgot to say that most fruit and veg are 0pp for a standard serving (peas, sweetcorn and potatoes have points) which is really good.

And the Morrisons NuMe range also has ProPoints values on.

I'm a Fellow Shortie at only 4 11! Personally I haven't needed the Meetings but I know that everyone is different, I couldn't recommend WW enough, whether you go to Meetings or Not, WW is fab! X

Thanks again for your comments!
I got my days wrong (whoops!), so I actually start tonight!
There is lots of information on here - absolutely brilliant :).
I've started my food diary now - I'm really impressed with the flexibility.
You've all done so well!

Thanks again for your comments!
I got my days wrong (whoops!), so I actually start tonight!
There is lots of information on here - absolutely brilliant :).
I've started my food diary now - I'm really impressed with the flexibility.
You've all done so well!

Make sure u post a link so we can subscribe :) Good Luck for your meeting :) x

Last edited:
Sorry for the quick replies - I'm at work at the moment!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome!
The meeting is at 7pm, so I'll let you know how it fgoes!

My first attempt at a diary is here http://www.minimins.com/weight-watchers-weight-loss-diaries/325601-new-ww-need-lose-stone.html.
(hopefully that will work!)

I'm sure I've made mistakes! I'm guessing that I'll be on around 26 points? If so, not sure how I'll get through that many as I tend to have a lot of veg with my meals - slimming world habits.

Any feedback would be really appreciated! x

Sorry for the quick replies - I'm at work at the moment!
Thanks for making me feel so welcome!
The meeting is at 7pm, so I'll let you know how it fgoes!

My first attempt at a diary is here http://www.minimins.com/weight-watchers-weight-loss-diaries/325601-new-ww-need-lose-stone.html.
(hopefully that will work!)

I'm sure I've made mistakes! I'm guessing that I'll be on around 26 points? If so, not sure how I'll get through that many as I tend to have a lot of veg with my meals - slimming world habits.

Any feedback would be really appreciated! x

Have subscribed to your diary :) x If you get stuck on anything then feel free to post on there or on here for me :) x

You could try have full fat versions of things, more cheese, nuts to up your points. Also if you have sweetcorn and peas they have pro points. I know it can be hard eating all your points but the absolute minimum amount is 26pp, if you eat less it can affect your weight loss/make you hold on to weight. You might find you start off on more than 26, if that's the case then definitely don't drop right away, because as you lose weight your points will drop to ensure you keep losing weight.

I remember I used to go to SW and the class would last over 1 hour - my partner was like where have been for so long was out the house for 2 hours lol 30 min ww class suits me much better x

I've not read the replies but I love my weight watchers meeting. My leader is amazing and so positive.

Back