Contemplating moving from SW to WW

Jawa79

Hi

I've been doing SW(online) for 7 weeks now, and have done pretty well and have lost 2 stone. I've been able to stick to it reasonably well, but there's a couple of things that lately have started to be on my mind.

The whole free food thing I feel works against me sometimes as I can still demolish a huge bowl of pasta or rice. This also doesn't really teach me portion control, and for the last couple of weeks I've actually been weighing and measuring a lot of my free foods as well.

The other thing is that after this length of time I'm starting to find my food choices very restrictive which leads to the odd binge. I know I have syns, but they also can be very limiting in quantity.

My wife has been doing WW with Pro Points since our second child was born, and she loves it. We had originally decided I would do SW because seemed to suit my eating style more, but now I'm not so sure. I watch jealously as she enjoys a Crunchie, and then later on she can have toast, or maybe cereal - all in the one day!

So I'm seriously considering the move, I'm going to research it more, and finish this week on SW (weigh in on Sat). And then maybe try a week on PP to see how I get on.

Has anyone else made the move, or have any thoughts?

Hi I started that other thread. After giving it a lot of thought I'm going to make the transition.

My worries are the same as yours, namely portion control.

Also I do miss having toast with jam/ butter or cereal or chocolate and CRISPS when I wanted a treat. Good and bad with both I guess but I do think Ww is the way to go especially since it's changed to pro points.

I do believe I will eat more fruit and veg since I will be more restricted on other things. Also I can have smoothies which I really really do miss as this is not permitted on sw!!!!

Hi Jawa,

I'm sure you had a look at the other thread but I'm gonna throw in my opinion. WW is great because you can treat yourself to a take away or a glass of wine or a bar of chocolate as long as you budget your points, which is a big selling point for me because when I'm told I cant have something I want it more and end up binging.
I've gotten into the routine of having the scales out when I'm cooking and i really have learned that I was eating portions 3 or 4 times bigger than what I needed, but at the same time I'm not hungry because Im making better choices. I think the biggest lesson I have gotten from WW is, everything in moderation and portion control.

If you do try it, i would say try for two weeks just to get used to the points and stuff.

Let us know what you decide :)

Hi I did sw after my son was born and lost 33lb easily in 9 weeks ( I was bf at the time too). But I soon got bored and craved the odd piece of choc and subsequently binged for weeks and put on a stone back!

I dabbled with it for a bit again and was playing with the same few lbs.

My sister in law told me about ww as she's lost 28lbs on it and I thought I would give it a go. I lost 5.5 lb in my first week. I was silly and the next 5 weeks yes 5 weeks I gave up. But that was cos I really was and am fed up with dieting but this week something hit me and I said if I do this this time I don't need to ever really diet again just keep on top of my weight loss! So I am going for it again.

It brilliant to have the app. I sit down after class. Go through my freezer and fridge and work out there and then what I will have for the week and I hAve found this sooooo helpful and it's nice aswell as u don't know what your having sometimes as u forget and go ohhh yea yum!

Good luck in whatever u do but I do think u just need to be in the right frame of mind to diet whichever one u decide as it won't fall off if u just say your doing it you actually have to do it. Xxxx

Nothing worth having is easy! X

3 Weeks ago I took the Move from SW to WW...and joined a local WW class. I gained 0.5lbs after 5-day WI, but this week lost 2.5lbs - i'd been playing about with the same 2lb at SW for the last 3months! Im eating "normal" and the BF can tell a difference, as we had gammon egg and chips (PROPER oven chips) the other day! x

Hi there. Just a thought but could you follow the SW principles whilst counting pro points thus limiting your portions?

for eg, keep to the red and green day or extra easy (whatever you follow) but instead of just piling the food into your plate cook what you think looks reasonable and pro point it? That will give you an idea of how many pro points you're eating (albeit on SW).

For eg if you're having a SW brekkie: I'd have had probably 2 scrambled eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages and some tomatoes and mushrooms maybe followed by a VFF yogurt. So on SW most of this would be free with the exception of the sausage. If you were to pro point it it would work out as:
egg - 4
bacon (WW) - 2
sausage (WW) - 2
mushrooms/tomatoes - 0
yogurt (WW) - 1
total - 9

Follow lunch and dinner with the same principal and see how many pro points you have left for any treats you would want. worth a try?

piggin said:
Hi there. Just a thought but could you follow the SW principles whilst counting pro points thus limiting your portions?

for eg, keep to the red and green day or extra easy (whatever you follow) but instead of just piling the food into your plate cook what you think looks reasonable and pro point it? That will give you an idea of how many pro points you're eating (albeit on SW).

For eg if you're having a SW brekkie: I'd have had probably 2 scrambled eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages and some tomatoes and mushrooms maybe followed by a VFF yogurt. So on SW most of this would be free with the exception of the sausage. If you were to pro point it it would work out as:
egg - 4
bacon (WW) - 2
sausage (WW) - 2
mushrooms/tomatoes - 0
yogurt (WW) - 1
total - 9

Follow lunch and dinner with the same principal and see how many pro points you have left for any treats you would want. worth a try?

I do sw but im doing something similar to this at the moment as my portions were too big and i wasnt getting the losses i wanted.

Tbh both diets work well if you stick to them. Its about finding which one suits your lifestyle at that time. Good luck whatever you decide.

i have started WW last night after having been on slimming world since January. I am struggling a wee bit today as the pro points takes a wee bit of getting used to. I can say for certain what suits me best until i give the pro points a chance , however , i will stick with it for 2 weeks and give you my verdict then.

Well I've made the decision to start PP tomorrow (today!).

I was going to wait til the end of the week, but I'm not happy on SW anymore, so I figured why wait!

I'll let everyone know how I find it. I'm looking forward to the change :)

I did SW too, and found myself eating mullerlights nearly constantly, just cause I could... which really isn't the right way to go about things. I'm definitely a portion control fiend... from experience I find that I just have to wise up and buckle down, and measure food. There aren't any easy fixes :(

i've made the switch, and back again, and back again (lol), currently i'm doing PP and like you i was sick of seeing my best friedn (she did PP whilst i did SW) tuck into chocolate, quiche, or even just toast or cereal, and still lose 2lbs a week. she is close to achieving her goal whilst on SW i had a way to go.

like you i was struggling with bingeing, which really wasn't doing any favours to my health. i'm hoping PP will help me to exercise portion control whilst still being able to eat yummy food, i think it teaches you a more healthy way of life (everything in moderation)

good luck to you i'm sure you'll do great :) xx

Yikes... I'm repeating myself here from another thread but I've swapped from sw to ww and struggled with the same 12lbs on and off for 5 years... This morning weighed myself and weigh less that I have in 5 years... Less than I ever have on sw... Pleased with myself that I made the switch!!!

I made the move a couple of days ago - for basically the same reasons as you. I was starting to get bored/finding it too restrictive even though I was happy to restrict myself calorie-wise and I was starting to cheat.

I think I will hop between the two eventually. I do like SW and it is great when you get fed up of counting points and want to cook more from scratch but not have to worry too much about exact portion size.

I knew I needed a back to basics week though and I have been happily having a ww ready meal with a big pile of veg for dinner each night for the last three days. It has been bliss...and more importantly it has got me back on track again.

Another one here!!
I did sw last Jan for around 4months....did really well initially and lost 19lbs in total.

I got really fed up thou as i found it way too restrictive and the "syns" don't really amount to much.

I started PP's 5 weeks ago and have 12lbs off in that time. The weekly PP's are what help me stay on track i think....Knowing i can have my takeaway(indian....yumyum!!) on a sat nite helps me focus and avoid the binge!

Well thats day one done.

I definitely found myself eating less, my dinner was about half of what I would have had on SW, but I don't mind because I was able to have chocolate after lol.

It was nice to be able to have cereal, and cheese on toast in the morning to.

As everyone says both plans have advantages, but for me I think I'd rather sacrifice quantity for variety. Plus learning portion control can't hurt!

So we'll see how I get on, I'm going to make a quesadilla for lunch which would have been impossible on SW (10 syns per wrap :eek:).

I'm not sure if I should maybe skip weighing myself tomorrow with changing plans mid-week? What does everyone think?

do you normally weigh yourself at home? why not do it anyway, and then go from the week after and take it from there :) x

Gosh, I'm quite surprised at this thread, it seems to be very much in favour of WW! I think they all work if you stick to them and it's important to find the diet that most closely matches what you'd eat given free reign. I don't find SW restrictive in the slightest and still eat all my favourite things, i just cook them differently, but I am a cooking from scratch girl all the way and always have been. I guess that makes a difference.

Lady Nebula said:
Gosh, I'm quite surprised at this thread, it seems to be very much in favour of WW! I think they all work if you stick to them and it's important to find the diet that most closely matches what you'd eat given free reign. I don't find SW restrictive in the slightest and still eat all my favourite things, i just cook them differently, but I am a cooking from scratch girl all the way and always have been. I guess that makes a difference.

It is on the ww section to be fair. If it was on sw it would no doubt have been more pro sw.

Back