Continuing the Down Memory Lane thread

charlottegrace1

Gold Member
Seeing as we have all been getting nostalgic, how about this....

What was your favorite school dinner when you were little?

Mine was the chocolate cornflake cakes with green custard, and the cooks always made extra so if you were last sitting you got seconds! I used to break the cake down and mix it through the custard to make it swirly. The steak and kidney pudding came a close second with lashings of thick gravy and mash.

I always loved the school mashed potatoes...yummy! Or potatoe croquets. For pudding it was always sponge with golden syrup top and custard. *hungry now* xx

It was just the puddings for me; Prunes & custard, and any cake/pudding with 'pink custard'. So yummy, and I also like the smell of the food hall :rolleyes:

Chocolate sponge with chocolate custard!

Is there a theme developing here? :p

I love all institutional food! Except school baked beans. Oh and our cooks used to make a flat tart covered in sultanas, topped off with a pastry lattice...It tasted OK but everyone called it "Rabbit Hutch Tart", which put me off. :sign0137:

Actually mine was the salad, I loved the cold mashed potato, salad cream, grated beetroot and carrot as well as the usual lettuce & tomatoes etc.....

And the minced beef pie with mash and veggies with gravy.

Mine was fridays fish and chips with peas or beans and chocolate shortbread and pink custard. The shortbread was so solid you could bend the spoon on it but it was sooo worth the elobow grease once you finally got a piece off :D

Actually mine was the salad, I loved the cold mashed potato, salad cream, grated beetroot and carrot as well as the usual lettuce & tomatoes etc.....

And the minced beef pie with mash and veggies with gravy.

I'd forgotten about the cold mash and salad cream, that was lovely, and I still have it now with salads but had forgotton it was from my school days. Thanks for reminding me Donnie.

In juior school it was the strawberry iced sponge cake with pink custard and I loved the angel delight type dessert in comprehensive :)

SPAM FRITTERS!!!!! YES!!!! We usually had them before swimming and one day we had to do somersault turns and I nearly barfed!

And in the early 60's we had a potato famine and were served up tinned spaghetti!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: every day instead! I hate tined spaghetti!

I used to LOVE the skin on rice pudding, and the boys would have prune eating competitions :eek:

Green custard!!!

My mum was highly offended one Sunday when she served up homemade custard and I asked her if she could try and make it more like Moira's (the dinner lady!) next time!!

Back