Couch to 5k challenge

Girls have you the option to go first thing in the morning, that's what I do just get up and go first thing normally about 7:30am means I have no time to make excuses or get distracted!

I wish I could but I have to leave home by 7am at the latest and I already get up before 6am to spend some time on the exercise bike (only 15 minutes) and get ready for work. As much as I love my job sometimes I wish I lived closer or at least didn't have to unlock the building at 7.30!

Yes no one interested at home really and it's good to share successes and problems on here. Couch 2 10k... Now there is a thought..... Will have to look into it. I do like the podcasts and found it really good being told when to run and walk. Now it's great to know when I am half way through a run. I loved w6 d3 when Laura said I was officially a runner.... I did feel proud of myself.

Wk1 Day 2 Done:D Really pleased with my new shock absorber bra, can't believe the difference.
My auntie did this with me today and I have to admit to feeling I was going slow so she could keep up - my face never flushed up like the first time:eek: I thought she would be faster due to her going on the wii board everyday day. But she said today was really different being out and running/walking 'properly'!

Karen.hat (week 2 day 3 complete)
Margery Dawe (week 3 Day 1 )
ChocolateTrish (week 3, day 1 done)
misspinky8 (week 1 day 0)
Mrsplymdaz (week 1, day 1 done)
Nymple (Week 6, Day 2 Complete)
sofartogo! (Week 7, Day 1 Complete)
millie09 (Week 9, Day 3 Complete -FINISHED)
Vicki-26 (Week 7 day 1 Complete)
cjnvgn (Week 9, Day 3 Complete - FINISHED!)
mandy296 (Week 9, Day 3 Complete - DONE!!!)
Holidaygirl10 (Week 1,Day 1 Complete)
HPSaucy (Week 7, Day 2 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Maverick (Week 4, Day 2 done)
Hoping (week 1 day 1 done -ouch!!)
Gemini76 (Week 6, Day 2 DONE )
Trefoil (Week 1, Day 1 TBC Today!!!)
Large_lump (Week 2, Day 2 done)
Dewinter (Week 3, Day 2 Done)
Paula Pudding (Week 1, Day 2 Done)
Sleepy (Week 1, Day 1 Done x2)

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Gemini76 (Week 6, Day 2 DONE )
Large_lump (Week 2, Day 3 done)

well girls I did it! I actually dragged myself out and did it! with some gentle shoving from my friend!... and it killed me! lol it was colder tonight so harder on the breathing (being a smoker really doesnt help this either.. I must stop!) plus Ive had mild pain in my shins today but was only if I was crouching down or something so thought I'd be o.k... I couldn't of been more wrong! I obviously needed to rest them or something and I didn't so running today my my shins scream at me! I'm starting to wonder if I'm too fat/heavy to run?!??!

And eatwell... there's an app that carries on from 5k to 10k.. I was under the impression that couch to 10k went back to basics so maybe look for the ones that progress you from where you left off? theres quite a few I've found! x

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Gemini76 (Week 6, Day 3 DONE )

I'd like to say I found it easy but I didn't and I had to slow down to a walk for some water twice but other than that did jog the 25mins, hoping by the end of week 7 I will have it more under control, but at least that's another week done 2/3 of the way there!!!

Large lump well done, I got dreadful shin pains for a few weeks very painful! I wasn't doing enough stretches, I hate doing them but they do make the difference! Just google shin stretches!

Your not too fatto run and giving up smoking maybe the way forward but I found when I gave up I felt worse before I felt better( if that makes sense). well done for getting out and running.

I will look up the apps and see what they are like. I found running for 25 mins ok but I do run very slowly so not sure I am doing anything like 5k but to be honest whether I run, walk etc it really doesn't matter. It's getting out there and doing something and no longer being a couch potato with a spreading middle that matters. I got lots of comments at work this week about my weight loss. I haven't lost lots each week but the toning from the running has made such a difference. I wished that I had taken my measurements when I started. Gemini have you found that it works for toning?

To be honest Eatwell I am not sure if it has, I wish I had of done my measurements too and keep saying I will now so I must. I had twins 18 mths ago by caesarean and have been left with a big scar and a pouch so I think my belly will take a lot of work! I am also quite critical of myself too so I could have but don't see it if you know what I mean, I downloaded an extra app with mine which shows me where I have been and the distance, today was the most at 2.68 miles which is 4.3km, that obviously includes the warm up and cool down, I don't run very fast either!

I looked into doing a 10K podcast but TBH I dont think there's much point - once you can run 5k or 30mins, the only thing left to do is just run longer/further/faster and I couldnt really find any podcasts that added anything. Its not like you need anyone to tell you when to run/walk, as by that stage you should be running all the time.

Now I just use my own music and run for as long or as far as I feel like, just always a minimum of 30 minutes or 3 miles. I ran 6.2 miles (10K) a couple of weeks ago as I was enjoying the run, the weather was nice, and I just wanted to see if I could do it.

If anyone does find a 10K app thats useful then fair play to you, but from my experience, once you've done 5K you dont really need it.

HPSaucy (Week 8, Day 3 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)

Am back! Was on holiday last week and still managed 2 runs (miracle but was disappointed I didn't do 3!)

Have just completed Week 8 Run 3 this morning so the final week looms.. Not sure it's going to be 5k as I feel I'm really slow.

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
biggysmalls (Week 1, Day 2 done)

Just updating, added myself on.
I managed to do it in the pouring rain; would never have done that in the past. so glad I found this thread. x

Well done biggysmalls, I went out in the rain the other morning as I didn't want to start making excuses! HPSaucy wow only 3 days left must be a good feeling!!!

Good point Mandy about the podcasts. I think finding my own motivational music might be the way forward. Do you still run every other day? Well done on completing a 10k run. I think I may have to work on increasing my speed to get nearer to running 5 k but all in good time.

I know my measurements have shrunk buy I do still have my tummy but it is slowly shrinking.

Running in the rain... I haven't had the pleasure yet but I am sure I will at some point. I hate getting wet so that will be a real test for me.

Gemini76 said:
Well done biggysmalls, I went out in the rain the other morning as I didn't want to start making excuses! HPSaucy wow only 3 days left must be a good feeling!!!

It does feel good as it's the first time in years I've put my mind to something and done it (exercise wise), don't quite know what I'm going to do next though!

After pressure from friends I finally joined a gym (I hate gyms!), bit worried about over doing it though as really want to finish this programme but also don't want to just stop running, don't know whether I should try continuing running for 2 days after and gym for 2 days mmmm?

Gym will be good to do some weights as that will help build muscle which burn off more calories, I think if you did a mix would be good, when my little guys start nursery in Sept I plan on going to the gym!

I've just done my first session at gym, I was so scared walking in but it's over with now and wasn't that bad lol!

Running again tomorrow so that'll be 4 lots of exercise this week for me, haven't done that amount since I was a kid, feel really chuffed! X

Week 7 day 2 done. My next run should be Sunday. Off to delamere to do a dry run for our race for life. ( not sure I'll be able to resist going out sat morning tho)!!

sofartogo! (Week 7, Day 2 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)

Well done Sofartogo!!! I am just back from run 3, week 3. 1st time I have run in the rain and I hated it as the pavements were so slippy. My average HR was at least 10 down from other runs :(

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Dewinter (Week 3, Day 3 Done)
biggysmalls (Week 1, Day 2 done

Dewinter, ye I am a bit nervous running in the rain incase I fall as the paths are so slippy. Sofartogo, fair play to you, I DO NOT look forward to doing this (of course I love the achievement) so I think you are great to be so enthusiastic about it. HPSaucy, the first time going to the gym has to be the scariest and its over now, that's brilliant!

Well everything was conspiring against me this morning, my iPhone died yesterday as in just turned off and won't turn back on :cry:so need to call Apple today, but of course brains here never even realised until I was dressed and all this morning that it meant I had no podcast, so quickly scrambed to grab my little ipod shuffle which had week 2 on it before I downloaded the iPhone app, then I couldnt find my water bottle, in the end I was 10mins late going out and literally had had just enough time to do it before DH left for work, I felt like crying in frustration and getting back into bed, grabbed a normal phone and brought it as a stopwatch. Only got time to do 21mins instead of 25 but I was dead on my feet anyway and did my cooldown in the garden with the baby monitor. So its done, a little off what it should of been but oh well better than not doing it!

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Gemini76 (Week 7, Day 1 done )

Gemini76 said:
Well everything was conspiring against me this morning, my iPhone died yesterday as in just turned off and won't turn back on :cry:so need to call Apple today, but of course brains here never even realised until I was dressed and all this morning that it meant I had no podcast, so quickly scrambed to grab my little ipod shuffle which had week 2 on it before I downloaded the iPhone app, then I couldnt find my water bottle, in the end I was 10mins late going out and literally had had just enough time to do it before DH left for work, I felt like crying in frustration and getting back into bed, grabbed a normal phone and brought it as a stopwatch. Only got time to do 21mins instead of 25 but I was dead on my feet anyway and did my cooldown in the garden with the baby monitor. So its done, a little off what it should of been but oh well better than not doing it!

It's amazing that you actually went, when my phone had died on holiday I was easily persuaded to stay in bed that morning and then watch the Royal wedding in my pj's hence only 1 run that week!

Have you tried just pressing and holding the power button until you get the apple sign? I've had loads of problem with mine including it just turning itself off and sometimes this worked.

HPSaucy (Week 9, Day 1 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Gemini76 (Week 7, Day 1 done )

Only another 2 days left but I'm not running anywhere near 5k!

Back