Couch to 5k challenge

W1, D3 done:cool: not staying beetroot coloured for as long now:eek: only thing was my toes started to go a bit numb towards the end...they are new trainers, so not sure if they're just wearing in??
Gonna do this W1 run again on Sunday with my auntie, as she has only done that twice. Then we'll do W2 Tues, Thurs & Sunday;)
Karen.hat (week 2 day 3 complete)
Margery Dawe (week 3 Day 1 )
ChocolateTrish (week 3, day 1 done)
misspinky8 (week 1 day 0)
Mrsplymdaz (week 1, day 1 done)
Nymple (Week 6, Day 2 Complete)
sofartogo! (Week 7, Day 2 Complete)
millie09 (Week 9, Day 3 Complete -FINISHED)
Vicki-26 (Week 7 day 1 Complete)
cjnvgn (Week 9, Day 3 Complete - FINISHED!)
mandy296 (Week 9, Day 3 Complete - DONE!!!)
Holidaygirl10 (Week 1,Day 1 Complete)
HPSaucy (Week 9, Day 1 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Maverick (Week 4, Day 2 done)
Hoping (week 1 day 1 done -ouch!!)
Gemini76 (Week 7, Day 1 done )
Trefoil (Week 1, Day 1 TBC Today!!!)
Large_lump (Week 2, Day 3 done)
Dewinter (Week 3, Day 3 Done)
Paula Pudding (Week 1, Day 3 Done)
Sleepy (Week 1, Day 1 Done x2)
biggysmalls (Week 1, Day 2 done)

Well everything was conspiring against me this morning, my iPhone died yesterday as in just turned off and won't turn back on :cry:so need to call Apple today, but of course brains here never even realised until I was dressed and all this morning that it meant I had no podcast, so quickly scrambed to grab my little ipod shuffle which had week 2 on it before I downloaded the iPhone app, then I couldnt find my water bottle, in the end I was 10mins late going out and literally had had just enough time to do it before DH left for work, I felt like crying in frustration and getting back into bed, grabbed a normal phone and brought it as a stopwatch. Only got time to do 21mins instead of 25 but I was dead on my feet anyway and did my cooldown in the garden with the baby monitor. So its done, a little off what it should of been but oh well better than not doing it!

Wow! Think even I would have taken all that as a sign to give up!! Well done!

Only another 2 days left but I'm not running anywhere near 5k!

Once the programme is finished maybe you can concentrate on doing the same amount of time but trying to increase the distance each time?

W1, D3 done:cool: not staying beetroot coloured for as long now:eek: only thing was my toes started to go a bit numb towards the end...they are new trainers, so not sure if they're just wearing in??
Gonna do this W1 run again on Sunday with my auntie, as she has only done that twice. Then we'll do W2 Tues, Thurs & Sunday;)

Well done Paula!!

I did W1 D2 today. The app says I went 1.1 miles but the map doesn't show that I ran round the local lake twice so I think I did at least 2 miles and maybe a bit more.

Thanks girls I'm over my strop now!!! I have literally done it every second morning since I started and really don't want to break the routine! Thanks HP tried that, was onto Apple support who were great and they will pick it up on Monday to repair or replace I will be without it for about a week! 3.1 miles is equal to 5km, at mo I am doing on the 25 min run about 2.6 miles, but I am still slow!!!

Well done everyone, every day is a victory!!!

Yes Gemini, every day is a victory. You seem to be doing a similar pace to me. I just did week 7 day 3 and definitely ran faster and further. I would ideally like to be able to run the full 5k by the end but I am getting fitter and that's the whole point of it I guess. I have started using a website to get the mileage for the several routes that I do. I am still trying to decide what to do after. I find the podcasts motivating and they do spur me on.

Well done everyone for their efforts this week.

As part of my prep for me starting tomorrow, could you tell me if any of the various programmes out there (I can't decide on which one to use) doesn't tell you to turn round at the half-way mark?

Well done Eatwell, ye defo the podcasts for whatever reason keep me more on track and into it. Anyone using the "bluefin" iPhone app you can download an additional one it advertises for 79 cent and this is what tells me the distance, calories, pace etc, its very good, keeps a journal or it all and uses GPRS to map where you have been. I will be missing out on all that now at such an important stage!!

MrsMC before using the iPhone app I used runningintoshape for podcasts and both tell you that you are half way through! Good luck it's a great programme!

The app I use let's you choose if you want to be told you are half way through. It is the c25k that has a green circle with a man running in it.

Hello everyone! I have just received my new running shoes and am soooo excited! Can't wait to try them out! So good to see everyone going strong! I only have a week to go now until my Race for Life next Sunday. My goal all along was to be able to run from start to finish and I know I can do that now. I also wanted to be able to do it in 30 something minutes (39.59 would do) We will wait and see whether that is possible but think I'm not too far away and am hoping that with the adrenalin pumping on the day it will give me the boost I need!! Fingers crossed!

I downloaded this a few days ago, I'm gonna start it tomorrow morning I think (with a hangover, eeek!!)

Welcome fellow saturday weigher :D
This is a fab app and difinitely works. Good luck for your first run tomorrow!!

Just updating

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Sleepy (Week 1, Day 1 Done x2)
biggysmalls (Week 1, Day 3 done)

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Sleepy (Week 1, Day 2 Done)
biggysmalls (Week 1, Day 3 done)[/QUOTE]

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Maverick (Week 5, Day 1 done)
Sleepy (Week 1, Day 2 Done)
biggysmalls (Week 1, Day 3 done)

Technically I actually did week 5 run 2, but only cos I wanted to test myself, didn't realise 8 minute runs were planned for run 2!! Gonna do that again tomoro before hitting the 15 (?) minute run in a couple of days :)

Sofartogo, what runners did you get? How many 5km is your race? I defo think adrenalin will kick in on the day, you have done all this program me urself with no one forcing you or watching you, I think with others watching/present you will be spurred on even more!

I have my next run in the morning, dreading it!! But at least thought to put week 7 podcast on my iPod shuffle, lost without my phone!!!

I would disagree burning calories is all about your heart rate and mine definitely goes way up when running compared to walking and if I can run and do my exercise in half the time it takes to walk the same distance then I'd prefer to do that. Its a challenge you set yourself and besides anything physical it brings great mental well being feeling you have achieved something so I think its very worthwhile to do!

I read a fab article on the web about calories burned while running verses walking, there is a lot of research recently. You do burn a lot more running and as said above, much better to give your heart that work out and the buzz afterwards is amazing!
Being fit is the main aim, but the weeks I run more, I lose more!
Go for it, nothing to lose by trying, you might love it ;-)

Hannah:) said:
At group a couple of weeks ago the consultant while discussing 'Body Magic' says the only difference running rather than walking makes to you is the speed you get there..

It's unmotivated me to start the 5k challenege - Doing race for life in July and although I previously wanted to run it If its not going to make a difference - Might as well go for the easier option of walking it..

You've just said it yourself; walking is the easier option. And if it's easier, it's not going to be as effective. Ur C was just trying to motivate the members who think they would never be able to run (I now believe that barring medical / injury issues that anyone can learn to run). In addition to this argument and those above, the c25k app was created originally by the nhs who wouldn't have gone to the trouble if they believed walking is as good. I'm sure ur c meant well but in making that (untrue) comment, she has put u off.

Do more research before u make up ur mind but as mentioned above, the buzz u get when u can run for half an hour is amazing and well worth the very hard work it takes to get there!!

Sermon over! ;)

Gemini, I got some asics. Did some research online as I have been getting sore knees with the longer runs. Found out what type of runner I am (good vid on one site that explains it really well) and chose the trainers they suggested. Wore them in a little and they feel fab. Looking forward to trying them out later! I'll let u know how they go. It's a 5k. Fingers are crossed for a boost.

Maverick, u are going so well! :)

Oh my, I did my W1D1 as planned this morning and thought I was so organised with my running belt to hold my ipod and my phone with the gps, and my over the ear headphones etc etc. However, I forgot to use my inhaler before I left (last taken before bed) and I think it made the breathlessness worse... BUT, I did all the "jogs" albeit slower each time. I did manage to accidently pause the app almost half way and kept doing a circuit of a play park waiting for it to tell me I was half way. This went on for 5 mins until I realised that I hadn't been told I was half way and I hadn't been told to start running again!! DOH!! However, as soon as a I realised, I un-paused it and carried on. I also got shin-splints from the third "jog" onwards and my lower calves must need extra stretching as they are also a little sore (I stopped to stretch them a few times when I was walking) and again in the garden when I got home.

The biggest worry for me though was being seen. I have got to an age (37) where I like to think that I don't usually give a toss what people think of me, but for some reason, I am desperate to be incognito. I haven't even told anyone but this thread, my husband and children and one person at work that will keep it to himself (but is an accomplished runner). I only saw a few people as it is Sunday, but I think I will have to go out really early on weekdays :eek:.

My plan for W1D2, I will remember to use my inhaler before I leave and try some arch supports in my trainers to see if that helps with me shins.

Oh and I did read something last night but I don't recall where, that running on a completely empty stomach I.e. first thing in the morning burns more fat although I can't remember the technical description that was given. I will do my measurements later to see what changes I can detect as I am desperate to know what happens to someones build (other than weight) occurs from this type of exercise. Will my wobbly thighs and bingo wings improve......

Well done mrsmc on doing the first run. I found those runs hard and was counting the seconds until I could walk. At first the weight losses were not much just a pound a week but I have toned my body so much. My oh commented in how I seem to be losing the cellulite from my thighs.

I try and get up early to go running as I find that it sets me up for the day and I don't need to worry about fitting it in later as sometimes I work late.

I definitely feel fab after each run, my fitness is improving much more than if I had just walked. I have always walked but believed I couldn't run. Week 8 run 1 for me today. This forum has been great for keeping me motivated. Thanks everyone

Back