Couch to 5k challenge

Wow sofartogo, you go girl!!

Paula Pudding well done, I love getting to the end of a week!! :)

Dewinter, take care, maybe have a look at your runners/trainers as I was getting really bad knee pain wearing my nike shox and bought ASICS and the pain is gone, amazing difference.

Thanks sofartogo & Gemini76 :cry: I felt that I was doing really well and this is a set back for me. My OH bought me some runners/trainers and they have been great up to this week. Going to rest until weekend and see how it feels after RICE. Well done sofartogo!!! you must be so pleased & proud of yourself. Thanks for all the support x

Karen.hat (week 2 day 3 complete)
Margery Dawe (week 3 Day 1 )
ChocolateTrish (week 3, day 1 done)
misspinky8 (week 1 day 0)
Mrsplymdaz (week 1, day 1 done)
Nymple (Week 6, Day 2 Complete)
sofartogo! (Week 8, Day 1 Complete)
millie09 (Week 9, Day 3 Complete -FINISHED)
Vicki-26 (Week 7 day 1 Complete)
cjnvgn (Week 9, Day 3 Complete - FINISHED!)
mandy296 (Week 9, Day 3 Complete - DONE!!!)
Holidaygirl10 (Week 1,Day 1 Complete)
HPSaucy (Week 9, Day 1 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Maverick (Week 5, Day 2 done)
Hoping (week 1 day 1 done -ouch!!)
Gemini76 (Week 7, Day 3 COMPLETED )
Trefoil (Week 1, Day 1 TBC Today!!!)
Large_lump (Week 3, Day 2 done)
Dewinter (Week 4, Day 2 Done)
Paula Pudding (Week 2, Day 1 Done)
Sleepy (Week 1, Day 2 Done)
biggysmalls (Week 2, Day 1 done)
Bobsledwheels (week 3, day 3 done)

excuse my girls while I blow my own trumpet but I'm sooooo proud of myself it's unreal :D as said the other day i couldn't complete week 3 day 1 properly, was 1 min short on the last run but I went out this evening and I did it!! I actually finished the whole thing! I'm so happy! It was the hardest thing I think I've ever done and did nearly give up but about about half way through the last run (when my feet were seriously dragging) gangsters paradise came on and made me laugh as I felt like the walking dead.. maybe its only me that finds that funny but it kept me going all the same!
couldn't talk afterwards just grunted at my friend! but its done! woop!! go me :D

Large lump well done, it's a great feeling, delighted for you ;)

thanks gemini.. reading it back it seems very pathetic but I couldn't believe I did it after feeling so knackered after the first 60 seconds! very daunting when you have a whole 2 mins left! week 3 has made me realise quite how amazing you all are that are further through! well done everyone :) going to invest in some new trainers on payday too. mine aren't old but I don't think they're suited to me as had horrendous pain in my knee and ankle afterwards. thought maybe it was too early on to invest in some but I think I have to if I'm ever going to progress through the weeks!

Well done large lump! You will need a new name soon ;-)
Def get new trainers soon as you don't want a permanent injury! My other small piece of advice is to take the rest days now. I found after I did a long run like in week 3 I wanted to go charging out the next day and was disappointed as I couldn't run! Apparently the rest days are really important for muscle growth and repair.
Fantastic you are doing so well!!
X

HPSaucy (Week 9, Day 2 Complete)
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
biggysmalls (Week 2, Day 1 done)

Well done everyone on your achievements, it really is amazing how it actually works!

Glad I'm not the only one to get numb toes though!

I only have one more run to go... (how the hell did I get to here?!), I am running nowhere near 5k though, today I put an app on that does distance and started it from the actual start of the run to end of run (not including the start/finish walks) and it was only 2.17 miles.

I say "only" very lightly as I never thought I'd be able to do that in my life but what I mean is the last run is Friday so I'm supposed to be running 5k in 30 mins by then! I'm going to do what someone suggested earlier in post and keep running for 30mins until I speed up I think.

Well Done Large Lump! :)

Well after resting last night and using RICE and Voltarol emulgel (& an extra small glass of red wine) my knee feels better but I am going to rest it until weekend and then try my day 3 of week 4

Yay!!! well done HPSaucy you must be so proud!

For those of you using the NHS podcast that dont like the music - you might want to try this one:

Running Into Shape

Its not all to my taste, but there are a few things that I like on it. I was using an MP3 player rather than a phone app so couldnt have a track playing over my own music so I needed a podcast. This one has 2 tracks for each week - one is chart/dance/hip-hop/r&b type music - the other varies each week (sometimes 80s, sometimes 70s, rock, metal etc)

Will at least give you an alternative to the NHS one

Only managed a half-arsed attempt at W1D2 this morning. Did the first three runs, then stepped into a field for my 4th and the ground was covered in dog s**t, it really demotivated me as I was already not feeling the love for it today (very tired). Because of that, I missed the 4th entirely, ran the 5th but caught up with some teenagers walking slowly to school. I know this sounds pathetic, but I couldn't pick up the courage to run past them. Feeling totally dejected and pathetic, I just walked the rest of the way home. So, only 4 of the 8 mins done so I will have to do the same day again on Friday.

However, on a more positive note, using my inhaler before I left meant that I was still going strong when told to walk, and the knee pain was non-existant after putting my arch supports in my trainers.

It would seem I am using this thread as a diary lol

Well done everyone though, I continue to be so impressed. Does everyone feel that it is getting easier during a particular week or does it differ for each individual. I would be interested to know...

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
biggysmalls (Week 2, Day 2 done)

Only managed a half-arsed attempt at W1D2 this morning. Did the first three runs, then stepped into a field for my 4th and the ground was covered in dog s**t, it really demotivated me as I was already not feeling the love for it today (very tired). Because of that, I missed the 4th entirely, ran the 5th but caught up with some teenagers walking slowly to school. I know this sounds pathetic, but I couldn't pick up the courage to run past them. Feeling totally dejected and pathetic, I just walked the rest of the way home. So, only 4 of the 8 mins done so I will have to do the same day again on Friday.

However, on a more positive note, using my inhaler before I left meant that I was still going strong when told to walk, and the knee pain was non-existant after putting my arch supports in my trainers.

It would seem I am using this thread as a diary lol

Well done everyone though, I continue to be so impressed. Does everyone feel that it is getting easier during a particular week or does it differ for each individual. I would be interested to know...

Please don't beat urself up over this, you were out there making an effort and really that's what its all about, you could have not bothered, it is hard to run past someone so not pathetic at all especially at week 1 where you have no confidence. My app has a journal which I kept from week 2, so just read back for you and week 2 i found day 1 hard and then 2 and 3 not too bad, I was really really dreading week 3 and found it better than expected day 2 said "hard but good" and day 3 said "not too bad", very informative eh??!! Week 4 found day 1 hard and thats when all my knee pains kicked in so the rest of that week was painful, week 5 I found like week 3 better than I expected! After that I have lost the info from my phone dying and not having it backed up but I know I found week 6 was ok and 7 hard! Start 8 in the morning :eek: Hope that has not turned you off completely!!!

MrsMC, the confidence does come.. Sort of lol!

I still don't particularly like running past people but now I just do it but then I run by the canal, the thought of running around the streets and people laughing at me fills me with dread.

I wouldn't necessarily say the runs have become easier, but I think its wear your head is, if I've started thinking its going to be bad then it generally is where as if I am positive it tends to go better.

I found the 5 & 8 minute runs a nightmare, I did them but hated them, I'm finding the 30min runs easier in a weird way! I'm not fast though.

HPSaucy said:
Aaah I've only gone and signed hubby and myself up for a 5K run!! What have I done?!

That's great!! I'm thinking of signing up for another one as at my current rate I'm not going to be able to run my full one in mid June. There is one in September in Hyde park I'm looking at.

It's a great motivator- and you will make it don't worry!! X

Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Gemini76 (Week 8, Day 1 done)

Week 8 day 1 done, last few mins were a killer!! I did 5k today but that included the warm up and cool down, without them it would have been short.

Bobsledwheels said:
That's great!! I'm thinking of signing up for another one as at my current rate I'm not going to be able to run my full one in mid June. There is one in September in Hyde park I'm looking at.

It's a great motivator- and you will make it don't worry!! X

Thanks, I'll probably run it at the same speed some people walk it lol! X

Gemini76 said:
Ria2011 (Week 1, Day 1)
Woodland girl (DONE)
Gemini76 (Week 8, Day 1 done)

Week 8 day 1 done, last few mins were a killer!! I did 5k today but that included the warm up and cool down, without them it would have been short.

Wow you are so much faster than me, that is brilliant, well done x

Back