Couch to 5k challenge

Hi everyone it's nice to see this thread is still going strong. As for me I haven't run in a while now and I want to get back into it. The last time I did this challenge I went all the way up to the 9th week and was jogging for 35min straight and then I just stopped and I haven't jogged for a while. I went out this year a couple of times and managed 10min straight at a time but I'm a little bit bigger now than I was then so maybe that could be the reason. So my question is where do I start from? I was thinking of starting from week 4 so I'm plenty prepared for week 5 day 3. Or do you reckon I should do a day each of week 1,2,3 in one week and then proceed to week 4?

Hi maggie :)

My advice would be to start with week one, and see how your body handles it, I think you may be surprised at what you can achieve. You may instantly find it very easy, and skip straight into week 2 or 3. Worst thing to happen is to start too big and risk pushing too far. It'll take a week or two longer but if you start with the 5 minute intervals your ankles may go into shock at the sudden incline in activity! However you may prove me wrong and crack straight into the 5 minute intervals no problem ^.^ good luck!

Some People Dream Of Success, Others Wake Up And Work Hard For It

Ive just been wearing my usual gym trainers, I think I could do with some proper running shoes really but I just cant afford it at the min :-( Ill keep an eye on my foot positioning & see how I get on I think, & Ill be doing it on grass tomorrow aswell as the gyms closed so hopefully that might make a difference. Thanks for your advice :) x

I know how you feel! Money worries me too, I don't want to spend £40-£50 on a pair of shoes and they not be right. Especially when one run will make them non refundable!

First failure today ever on this plan :( SO hot outside, I wasn't in a great mood and I ran straight into a marathon run....I walked for about 10 minutes of the 25 :( I'm still happy as its an interval run at least lol. But very annoyed as Wednesday I will now need to do Week 7 Day 3 again! I also had sudden bad menstrual cramps, 2 minutes later was when I'd had enough and started walking. Erghhh! Normally those cramps wouldn't bother me, but I'm 7 days away from TOTM, maybe they're just worse PMS ones :( I am so frustrated with myself!

I think I'm gonna pray I'm in a better mood and also that it's not as scorching hot! I think my routine being messed up just did it for me, I'd had enough- I had to relap a route twice to get out the marathon route while I figured out a new route, so doing the uphill twice in scorching sun really really peed me off :(

Oh well, Wednesday will be a better day! At least I still got out there and burned 300 calories :)

Dont be so hard on yourself hun, its no wonder you didnt do as well what with your cramps, the temperature & your route being messed up! Like you said at least you got out which was better than nothing :)

I did week 1 day 3 this morning & wow it was hard! Not sure if it was coz it was my first time outside (& slightly hilly) or coz I was hungover but I very nearly gave up halfway through. I did it though with a lot of effort, & the brisk walking definately wasnt brisk! Im going to redo week 1 as Im not ready for week 2 yet.

My right ankle was fine today but left ine still hurt so Ill keep going & see how I get on x

Hi maggie :)

My advice would be to start with week one, and see how your body handles it, I think you may be surprised at what you can achieve. You may instantly find it very easy, and skip straight into week 2 or 3. Worst thing to happen is to start too big and risk pushing too far. It'll take a week or two longer but if you start with the 5 minute intervals your ankles may go into shock at the sudden incline in activity! However you may prove me wrong and crack straight into the 5 minute intervals no problem ^.^ good luck!

Thanks Lauren :D. I will start with W1D1 tomorrow, see how I feel and then proceed from there. Will update.

Dont be so hard on yourself hun, its no wonder you didnt do as well what with your cramps, the temperature & your route being messed up! Like you said at least you got out which was better than nothing :)

I did week 1 day 3 this morning & wow it was hard! Not sure if it was coz it was my first time outside (& slightly hilly) or coz I was hungover but I very nearly gave up halfway through. I did it though with a lot of effort, & the brisk walking definately wasnt brisk! Im going to redo week 1 as Im not ready for week 2 yet.

My right ankle was fine today but left ine still hurt so Ill keep going & see how I get on x

Awww thank you ^.^ I'm just so frustrated with myself! I've ran with a stitch before, this shouldn't have floored me! I will be we'll prepared for sabotage on Wednesday! =)

Last edited:
Anyone else finding/found Week 4 just a little bit evil? I did Wk4 D2 last night, and resorted to holding on to the treadmill for a bit of it. Think I may have to repeat next week as I don't think I'm going to be ready to move up!

Anyone else finding/found Week 4 just a little bit evil? I did Wk4 D2 last night, and resorted to holding on to the treadmill for a bit of it. Think I may have to repeat next week as I don't think I'm going to be ready to move up!

Is week 4 the 5 min intervals?? Forgotten!

Yes - 3 mins, 5 mins, 3 mins, 5 mins... just seemed a huge step up from the 1m30, 3 mins, 1m30, 3 mins of last week!

Yes - 3 mins, 5 mins, 3 mins, 5 mins... just seemed a huge step up from the 1m30, 3 mins, 1m30, 3 mins of last week!

Just wait for week 5 haha =D you will get used to it, I actually found the first one easy and shocked myself, then next two quite hard. Just you wait, you will be so chuffed when you feel comfortable doing it and the time quizzes by! :)

Just finished my last run of week 4... and feel a lot better than I did after the first one! Dreading Week 5 now!

Week 3, day 3 done! It's definitely getting easier an my pace is getting faster.

Not quite sure if I'm ready for week 4 or to day another week of 3..

Week 3, day 3 done! It's definitely getting easier an my pace is getting faster.

Not quite sure if I'm ready for week 4 or to day another week of 3..

Well done you! I found the first two runs of Week 4 really hard, but I don't know if it would have made it any better if I'd done another week 3 day before starting. It's a big step up from doing 9 minutes to doing 16 mins of running, and I was wrecked! But I've now finished week 4 and am wondering the same as you - another day of week 4 or move up to week 5?!

Just completed Week 9 Day 1...well that's my first ever 5k completed! It wasn't even too hard, I got maybe 10 second periods of knee stiffness a couple of times, then I was powered up again. So pleased right now :)

My next challenge is to improve my pace! At the moment its 12:32 per mile which isn't great to me.... That's 36 minutes to complete 5k. I want to get better than that! Ideally to 30 minutes. That's prob asking a lot right?!! I'll have to see what the general beginners pace average is for 5k...

So that's it from me I guess! In my eyes I've completed Couch to 5k...the real work actually starts now to keep it up 3 times a week! Glad to finally be done with those podcasts. After Week 5 the music is horrific I'm telling you! I already made a playlist on my phone of great fast pace songs... Exciting =D

Good luck to everyone still on their way to 5K!

Just completed Week 9 Day 1...well that's my first ever 5k completed! It wasn't even too hard, I got maybe 10 second periods of knee stiffness a couple of times, then I was powered up again. So pleased right now :)

My next challenge is to improve my pace! At the moment its 12:32 per mile which isn't great to me.... That's 36 minutes to complete 5k. I want to get better than that! Ideally to 30 minutes. That's prob asking a lot right?!! I'll have to see what the general beginners pace average is for 5k...

Yey well done for doing the 5k! Im sure with practice youll be able to improve your pace! I just started week 2 today & it went well, still cant imagine being able to run for a full 30 minutes though!congrats again youve done great x

Yey well done for doing the 5k! Im sure with practice youll be able to improve your pace! I just started week 2 today & it went well, still cant imagine being able to run for a full 30 minutes though!congrats again youve done great x

Thank you!!! I promise you that you'll be there in next to no time at all! And the weeks you are on now are the hardest, definitely! :) :)

Wow Lauren - that's amazing! You must feel so chuffed with yourself for sticking at it and for getting there! Well done you! And I think 36 mins is pretty fantastic too. I can't imagine that yet!

I start this again tomorrow. Stupidly started week before my hols and didn't go running while away.

I'm really enjoying reading your successes :)

I start this again tomorrow. Stupidly started week before my hols and didn't go running while away.

I'm really enjoying reading your successes :)

Enjoy your run tomorrow! I start my first non C25k run tomorrow. Scary :p

Back