Couch to 5k?

Thats the spirit emsie. Think of how much fitter you are already x

Hi guys, I've downloaded the NHS one ages ago but never got round to doing it. You've inspired me to start tomorrow. I have a couple of daft questions but I am a total running newbie!

What do you take with you and how? I'd normally want phone, keys and water with me but don't know how to carry it as I don't have pockets in my running stuff.

What do you wear? I don't know whether to wear thin tracksuit and be cold at first but warm up or a thicker tracksuit to be warm at first but then end up too hot.

Thanks.

helzzz said:
Hi guys, I've downloaded the NHS one ages ago but never got round to doing it. You've inspired me to start tomorrow. I have a couple of daft questions but I am a total running newbie!

What do you take with you and how? I'd normally want phone, keys and water with me but don't know how to carry it as I don't have pockets in my running stuff.

What do you wear? I don't know whether to wear thin tracksuit and be cold at first but warm up or a thicker tracksuit to be warm at first but then end up too hot.

Thanks.

Hey helzzz

I do mine on a treadmill so I'm not much help with the questions, I did used to run outside, but not too safe in the dark now! I would start cold and get warmer, trackie top with zip pocket if poss for phone & keys.... Then you can tie round your waist if you warm up :)

Good luck x

Week 4 day 2 done tonight.... I don't like week 4 :-(

I don't take anything except the dogs. Its only 30 mins so I didn't need water and because you don't go far its not likely anything would happen that would make you need to phone someone, but I imagine you might need to take a key, could you put it on a safety pin?

I wear running tights and a tshirt with 2 light fleeces on and a scarf, lol I'd rather be hot than cold, and a reflective vest over the top if its dark. Especially for week 1 theres more walking than running so its important to keep warm.

I always take tissues though cos the cold makes my nose run.

Good luck and well done for getting started xx

week 4 day 2 completed last night on treadmill at gym, gave myself a migraine with weights as well :( but better today, will do day 3 tomorrow.

Well done everyone so far, lets keep it up xx

I've been running week one like forever-couldn't move forward because of a dodgy knee!
Well the knee went wobbly on my first run yday, so I hopped off the treadmill and on to a bike, decided to cycle week two.... Much better, I work x4 as hard, no knee pain but I was a soggy mess at the end!

I might use a Spin bike as I move up the weeks, and increase the difficulty each session.

Im doing one based on this..the iPhone app is called "Get Running" and i love it, ok well not the running!

My next one will be Week 3 Run 2 which is 5 mins of brisk walking to warm up, 1.5 minute run, 1.5 minute walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk and repeat.

Im in desperate need of some proper running shoes..going to a local running shop on payday where they do that gait test thingy (run on a treadmill, they watch how your feet move and software analysis..then match your trainers to this)

I've been running week one like forever-couldn't move forward because of a dodgy knee!
Well the knee went wobbly on my first run yday, so I hopped off the treadmill and on to a bike, decided to cycle week two.... Much better, I work x4 as hard, no knee pain but I was a soggy mess at the end!

I might use a Spin bike as I move up the weeks, and increase the difficulty each session.
Sounds like a plan. Good for you!

I have been cycling with a local women's group called cycle belles. There seems to be quite a few around the country. If you get the chance you should try it out they are very supportive of new comers.

Back