Cough medicine?

*angela*

Silver Member
No later than Tuesday at my WI my C said how medicines require a syn value... I've now got a chesty cough so last night took 2 5ml of covonia dry+tickly cough medicine. Does anyone have any idea of how I should syn it please?

Bloody hell thats high... may mark it down as 3 syns then and learn not to do it again :eek:

Is normal paracetomol in tablet form synned?

x

God I think its bad how medicine is synned, that would surely encourage people to go without medicine if they had used there daily allowance already? Mental.

Funnily enough this came up in my class on mon. My C said that medicines that contain oil have to be synned (which kinda makes sense). A woman in my class has been prescribed cod live oil tablets and omega 3 something or other and her daily medicines work out as up to 21 syns a day, bless her, but my C is in talks with head office to help her incorporate it into the plan - essentially they may create a diet just for her - how lucky is she?! Lol.

Thats awful for that poor lady in your class, 21 syns on medication alone!!! Hopefully they can arrange something for her though. As you mentioned the cod liver oil can i just check something... a few weeks ago in our group my C said that if taking the oil directly it required a syn value but if it was in capsule form then it didnt as it goes straight to your tummy. Ideas?

Beckyftwx I 100% agree with you that its a joke that medicine is synned. To be honest i'm now of the opinion that I'll avoid taking it tonight unless its really necessary and my cough is extremely bad... 3 syns wasted last night on nothing - bad times :(

Well when the lady herself phoned up head office told her that cod liver oil can be between 0 and 7 syns (hence why she could be having up to 21) but not sure whether that depends on it being capsule or straight oil if you see what I mean, she did mention something about omega 3 cod liver oil being higher in syns but I dunno. My C was not happy with the answer coz 0-7 is quite a difference so she said she'll phone and speak directly to the nutritionist.

If it were me I wouldn't syn prescribed medications, I can understand synning OTC medicine though.

yup agree with shirleen, if you gotta have it you gotta have it though,
however, if you've got a cough buy some pholcodeine linctus, it works really well as a cough suppressant so might work better than cavonia so then it'll be syns better spend IMO

good luck hun, hope you get better soon xx

Thanks :) it's a shop bought cough bottle of Covonia so I think I'd need to syn it but in place of it I'll stick to paracetamol and an inhaler I use occasionally for slight asthma issues, that way I don't need to use syns :) I put it down as 4 syns for last night for 2 tblspns which is sickening really+such a waste :(

If it were me I wouldn't syn prescribed medications, I can understand synning OTC medicine though.

The only problem with that is though that because she hasn't been sure of the syns, the lady in my group wasn't synning her scprited meds and has put on 5lbs in the 2 weeks since she started taking them. So, it would be silly for her to continue not to syn it, hence my C getting involved.

I took cough medicine and synned it. It worked out the same as honey and I was taking 2 tsp four times a day for a few days!

I think the kids ones are low sugar, maybe worth asking the pharmacist?

I think if you poorly and need medication then stuff the syns! It's ridiculous that medication is synned. This plan is all about lifestyle and health and to try and work out syns for medication seems to be a contradiction and a step too far.

Sorry - I'm in a grumpy mood today!

Stoffie said:
I think if you poorly and need medication then stuff the syns! It's ridiculous that medication is synned. This plan is all about lifestyle and health and to try and work out syns for medication seems to be a contradiction and a step too far.

Sorry - I'm in a grumpy mood today!

I don't think ww point meds. Annoying that sw syn them

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I can see why they do it. At then end of the day the meds don't contain "invisible" calories that aren't going to effect you! It's personal choice over whether to syn them or not and I think it's nice that sw have provided the syns for them so those people that do want to take them into consideration can!
Everybody is different at the end of the day.

laura4988 said:
I can see why they do it. At then end of the day the meds don't contain "invisible" calories that aren't going to effect you! It's personal choice over whether to syn them or not and I think it's nice that sw have provided the syns for them so those people that do want to take them into consideration can!
Everybody is different at the end of the day.

Agreed! If i was ill enough to be taking meds i'd just use my syns on them & not on anything else. I don't take lemsip as am
Allergic to the decongestant - soluble paracetamol in a hot squash does the job quite nicely thanks! If i was ill enough to need cough meds then i'd prob not fancy anything naughty anyway.

Plus it makes you think about what your really putting into your body. I know Iv started thinking about alternatives cause it's "healthier"!

I don't bother synning medicine like cough syrup, if you've got a cold (or equivalent) your calorie need will be higher anywhoose because of all the extra energy that goes on fighting the infection/virus/whatevs. I think if you've got a cold your daily need goes up by about 200 calories (which is 10 syns = 4 doses of cough syrup - which is all your supposed to have anyway).

As long as you're following the plan i.e. sticking to your normal syn limit and are not overdosing on the cough syrup (or whatevs) it really shouldn't make that much of a difference.

xx

I have had a sore throat, cough and cold since Friday, and haven't considered counting the syns of either the throat lozenges, cough syrup/lozenges.

I also always take an omega 3 fish Oil and Starflower Oil capsule daily, and don't syn these either.

Back