Cous cous- did I syn?!

julesm

Slimming World
This evening I tried to recreate a dish I had in a restaurant at the weekend- sweet potato and chickpea kebabs (pictured below).

However when I made the chickpea and sweet potato mix it was far too moist to roll into balls and put on the kebab sticks. So I added about 10 dessert spoons of cooked cous cous to the mix. This turned out really delicious and a great consistency- sort of like the texture of polenta. Mmmm! (pic below)

BUT now I am wondering if this counts as using cous cous as a flour substitute and therefore do I have to syn it?!

Attachments

• image-1003138174.jpg
    image-1003138174.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2616742010.jpg
    image-2616742010.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 92
No you don't as you had it as part of a main meal alongside other free and superfree foods to limit your intake.

They look great by the way, please post the recipe for us!

Ooh glad you like the look of it!

Recipe:
2 sweet potatoes
Half a tin of chickpeas
1yellow pepper
Lots of curry powder
10 dessert spoons of cooked cous cous

Boil the sweet pots and mash them. Fry the pepper. Add the chickpeas to the sweet pot and blend. Add the fried pepper and cous cous and mix up. Make balls out of the mixture. Dont worry if they are still a bit sloppy as they firm up in the oven. Add the balls to kebab sticks and cook for 40 mins at 220 degrees C. Take them out when they are brown and crispy.

Serve with cous cous, salad and a yogurt and mint dip. Yum!

They turned out nice but quite different to the ones on the pub!

By the way I forgot to say the recipe serves 4. I have a whole other portion packed up for lunch tomorrow so I get to enjoy it all again!

Back