Couscous bread

flab fighter

The fat is melting away!
Couscous bread.
Use Ainsley Harriot couscous pack any flavour I think they are free or 0.5 syns for the pack (been a while since did SW) make it up with boiling water as instructions. Beat 2-3 eggs and add stir til well mixed. Place in microwave container (the chinese takeaway containers are ideal). I put the lid on but don't snap it down place it on top cook for 3 ish minutes. Look underneath the container if it has a wet looking patch it needs longer for the egg to cook. Cut into squares. Cube ham, chicken or extra veg in it if you want.
I also made free mint dip to go with it. Very low fat natural yogurt with a spoon of colemans garden mint sauce (NOT classic mint as that has sugar in it and has to be synned). Its delicious :D

I made this tonight with Tesco Lemon & Corriander couscous (1/2 syn per 100g cooked) & 3 eggs.
1x packet of couscous made approx 250g "cooked" weight (1.5 syns for the whole thing) then added the beaten eggs & microwaved for 3-4 mins. I was thinking a HE A of cheese melted on it would be good for tomorrows lunch.... with a large salad of course ;)

Sounds like a yummy lunch - thanks for posting!

I make this all the time and thought I was the only one, ha ha! It's really yummy. I have a different method if anyone wants to give it a go. I use plain cous cous but make it up with chicken stock rather than water which immediately adds flavour. I add spring onions, diced red pepper, chopped herbs, a HEXa or synned portion of grated parmesan (adds loads of flavour and helps hold it together) then two beaten eggs and a dollop of low fat yogurt - this gives it a creamy quiche flavour/consistency.
I then pour the mix into a little frying pan (sprayed with frylight) and press it down to make a thick spanish omelette-type shape, then lightly fry until the bottom is golden and finish under the grill until the top is golden too. This is so filling and absolutely delicious! It's really good cold as well, and cooked in this way cuts into picnic-friendly wedges. Enjoy! xx

Wondering if this would be classed as a tweak? As its using couscous in place of flour to make 'bread'?

I don't think it does as the cous cous is still being eaten in whole form. If you were grinding it down then maybe.

I don't think it's the grinding or not which is the issue.
Technically it's definitely a tweak. Using something which is free (or very low syn) to replace something which isn't.
But some of these posts suggest it's something that would be eaten just with some salad, as the main part of a meal. In which case, although you're tweaking, you're not using it to eat more than you otherwise would.
But if you really use it as bread - using it as extra to a meal, then it's a tweak that should not be treated as free.

That's what I think, anyway!
*gets down from soapbox*

I don't think it's the grinding or not which is the issue.
Technically it's definitely a tweak. Using something which is free (or very low syn) to replace something which isn't.
But some of these posts suggest it's something that would be eaten just with some salad, as the main part of a meal. In which case, although you're tweaking, you're not using it to eat more than you otherwise would.
But if you really use it as bread - using it as extra to a meal, then it's a tweak that should not be treated as free.

That's what I think, anyway!
*gets down from soapbox*

Thank you! It felt like I was the only one who thought that way :)

I know what you guys mean about the tweak but I always thought it was to do with how you affect the calorie density of a food? I.E. making bread from ground down cous cous is definitely a tweak since you're using it in place of flour and not adding anywhere near the amount of moisture (which bulks out the cous cous and makes you full) as would making up cous cous as normal. Since for this cous cows "bread" you're making up the cous cous as normal, then it is only as calorie dense as it's supposed to me for a free food. Another example - past is free but the 'doritos' people make from lasagne sheets are not - since the moisture is driven off, they are far more calorie dense than the original pasta was ever supposed to be. Phew - can you give me a hand down from my soap box now please?! :)

Yes, you could argue it that way. But then you have to understand the scientific principles behind how different substances work!
My way's much simpler.

For example, if you convert lasagne sheets into "Doritos", you'd eat a whole packet of them, AS WELL AS your main meal. Because it feels like a snack.
The reason pasta is free is because of how filling it is as part of a main meal. But that doesn't mean to abuse it, and eat ridiculous quantities. SW allows us to count loads of foods as free, which is brilliant, but you still have the rule that you should only eat what you need. Not all that you want!

So by that rule, if you're adding to a meal something that you would otherwise syn, you should syn it.

If you use this "bread" INSTEAD of the equivalent carb content of a normal meal, I don't think you need to syn it. But if you have it AS WELL, you should.

You might have cous cous & salad for lunch. So, use the bread instead, and have a salad sandwich: Fine.
Have the bread on the side of the plate when you've already got a plate full of food including a normal quantity of carbs: Not Fine.

To me it's just common sense!

oooooh this sounds lovely and very easy to make! Might just have to have this for tea tonight :) :)

Back