CRAVING chicken biryani HELP!!

Legomom

Gold Member
I've gone to bed dreaming about chicken Biryani for the last few nights!!! I need a good recipe lol. I've googled and all the SW ones are more like a rice bake than a Biryani (well like the one I'm used too anyway!!). I'm looking for quite a dry rice and chicken part that isnt really chopped tomatoey and I'll happily spend some syns on almonds and raisins :) then a mild veg curry that's quite thick and again not very tomatoey. I think they use blended onion in the sauce like a dopiaza? I'm not confident enough in my spicing to just have a guess!!!

Not sure if it's exactly what your craving but this is what I make,

Serves 2 as main meal

Onions in heavy pot with bay leaf, 3 cardamon pods and a cinnamon stick and cook for 10 mins until onion soft. (if sticking use a bit of fry light) the add your chicken pieces and a tsp of turmeric and cook until chicken starts to brown.

Then I make a 'free' curry paste by mixing 3 tbsp of curry powder with 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar and 1 tbsp of Tom purée add this to your pot and stir over high heat until mixed through.

Add about 300g of rice (uncooked) your raisins (85g if you have the syns) and 850ml of chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, put tight fitting lid on (use foil too if not completely sealed) lower heat and cook for 5 mins. Turn heat off but leave covered on the hob for another 10 mins or until rice is all cooked. Stir and eat!

Then if you wish you can add chopped coriander and almonds - I don't as it doesn't need it.

So free on EE except raisins and almonds if you want them :) Hope you like it

Pete’s Chicken Biryani

Serves 4

Syn Free

Ingredients

600g chopped chicken (ff)
2 large onions, chopped into small pieces (s)(sff)
1 tsp “very lazy” garlic (sff)
1 tsp “very lazy” ginger
1 tsp “very lazy” chillies (s)(sff)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp curry powder
½ ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. sweetener
Pinch of grated nutmeg
8oz basmati rice (ff) (rinsed)
1 Cinnamon stick
1 tin chopped tomato (s)(sff)
1 Knorr chicken stock pot
1 400ml of hot water
½ cup frozen peas (ss)(ff)
2 bay leaves
*Fresh coriander

*1/2 cup raisins (if used then Syn)

Method

Wash the rice several times until the water runs clear then place the rice in a saucepan of boiling salted water with a cinnamon stick , cook with a lid on for 10-12 mins then remove the cinnamon stick, pour the rice through a sieve and then return to the saucepan, replace the lid and allow to steam.

In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light cook onions, bay leaves, ginger, chillies & ginger until golden. Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, sweetener & nutmeg, (raisins if required) cook for a further 5 mins.

Add chicken and brown it, cook for 10mins then add the tomatoes, stock, peas and cook until the chicken is cooked. Remove bay leaves.

(At this point you could place the curry in a slow cooker and leave on low for several hours and make the rice when you require the meal.)

Add the chicken to the rice and allow the flavours to infuse with the lid on for 5 mins, mix together and plate up, sprinkle with fresh coriander if required.

Chicken Biryani-2 (Small).JPG

omg, just made this and it smells and tastes amasing. oooo good, Thanks

Back