Curry paste recommendations syn wise - help please!

dizzydawnie

Silver Member
Hello
After some of you were so kind enough to look at the chicken curry recipe I found I wonder if you can help further.

Which curry paste would you please recommend from a syn point of view - I like milder curries, and if the recipe serves 4 would I be right in thinking I attribute a quarter of the total syn value to my portion?

Any help would be very much appreciated - I need to get my hands on a directory to save keep mithering!! :eek:

Many thanks
xx

Patak's tikka paste is the lowest in syn at 1 syn per level tbsp - the range goes up to 4 syns per tbsp deping on type. The easiest thing is just to look at the calories - it will be 1 syn for every 20 calories

Making the 'masaalah' of the curry is so simple! And you can make it syn free! I make a big batch and freeze it, then take it out when needed.

Let me know if you want it and I'll post it up.

Rozie.

Oh Roziee that would be brilliant thank you!!

I'm not very successful in the kitchen but will give it a whirl and put a jar of Pataks in the cupboard for when it all goes pear shaped!! :D

thank you both

x

Okay- This is my basic curry masaalah recipe. You can adapt it to your chilli likeness (I dont eat spicy food so this will be for mild curries).

Chop 2-3 onions finely and fry with some ginger and garlic paste until soft ( you can use fresh if you like )

Add a can of chopped tomatoes and add the following:

1 tsp salt (i normally start off with a teaspoon and add more later- better less first than more!)
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or start off less and add more if necessary later)
1/2 tumeric powder
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp corriander powder
1 tsp garam masalaa

Other people put in stuff like cinammon, cloves, and loads of other malarky but you dont need to honest..

Anyway- cook for about 15 minutes and thats it! Blitz it to make it nice and smooth and taste.. if you need to add more salt or chilli add it and cook a little more..

then all you do is add your meat/fish and cook it and you have a curry- add some fresh corriander in at the end so it looks pretty :D

its freezable so freeze what you dont use!

If you feel you've made it too spicy, add some yogurt in it to cool it down. :)

If you put about a cup full of yogurt it in once the masaalah is made, it'll give the curry a different taste- is yummy!!

i buy all my spices and curry powders from local indian/african shops.. they sometimes work out cheaper than supermarkets and you get more too.
By using these you save syns too xx

Back