Daily Mail Article on Carbs

It says in our SW books to use brown rice and pasta wherever available anyway. Not really new news, brown grains are better for you and more fibrous than white ones. Newsflash!

Since joining SW I have been cooking with brown pasta and using brown bread as that's what I read in my pack? I now actually prefer the taste and OH hasn't noticed the difference either :)

at one time or another everything is reported to be bad for us, eggs, bananas, red meat, wine, bread etc etc etc. i think as long as you make sensible decisions and have a little of everything in moderation you'll be fine.

i hate brown pasta. bleugh.

it does help, which is why someone with diabetes would be recommended to follow a low GI diet.

I am incorporate low GI into my free food choices. So I no longer have any of the "white" carbs, which are not healthy for you in any form.

Is worth bearing in mind when buying whole wheat bread, as although it may say wholewheat on the front of the packet, it isnt always necessarily so. As the main ingredient is usually white flour.

My cupboard is stocked up with wholewheat pastas, and wholewheat rices etc

Some veg can be the same. Sweetcorn for instance has a High GI.

If you are interested I would recommend reading Rick Gallop's low GI book as it explains how our body processes certain foods. Low GI will keep you fuller for longer and help you avoid those naughty cravings.

i will check out that book, thanks!

Yeh I agree that wholegrains make a difference. I have definitely noticed I no longer get that horrible mid afternoon 'brain drain', energy slump thing since changing. I used to be literally draped over my desk near sleeping at 3pm lol. Now I don't even fade a bit at that time. I believe its at least partly down to changing to wholegrain.

Typical misleading tabloid headline. It is not until the third paragraph that it mentions that the research referred to refined carbohydrates.

i hate brown pasta. bleugh.

Wholemeal pasta has come long way since the days when it used to taste like chewing on chunk of wood. I get the Asda organic wholemeal pasta which has been on 2x500g bags for a £1 special offer for around a year now. It taste fantastic and I really notice the diference when i have to eat bog-standard, own-brand white pasta. it just seems really tastless by comparison.

You're right ilovelife, they do like to play with our emotions. LOL

Personally, I think brown rice n pasta mings to be honest... but it was a while back since I've tried em... might give them another go... just in case lol

Wholemeal pasta has come long way since the days when it used to taste like chewing on chunk of wood. I get the Asda organic wholemeal pasta which has been on 2x500g bags for a £1 special offer for around a year now. It taste fantastic and I really notice the diference when i have to eat bog-standard, own-brand white pasta. it just seems really tastless by comparison.

I totally agree Circes. I also don't get the horrible bloating when I stick to the wholemeal stuff.

I think the day I take any notice of anything written in the Daily Fail is the day I hand in my "common sense" card once and for all!

Quite seriously, if we believed all the stories of all the things that are supposed to cause cancer and various other horrible diseases, nobody would ever eat anything, do anything or go anywhere. It's all about exercising a little judgment and a lot of common sense. :)

Thanks Emma, you beat me to it with the BBC link. Everyone is a bit fixated on the fact it's come from the Mail. :-/ I get all sorts of diet related links sent to me through work, which is why I saw it... Didn't expect to get so much 'tude for posting it to be honest lol.

Thanks Emma, you beat me to it with the BBC link. Everyone is a bit fixated on the fact it's come from the Mail. :-/ I get all sorts of diet related links sent to me through work, which is why I saw it... Didn't expect to get so much 'tude for posting it to be honest lol.

Nothing wrong with the story or the information it contained - it was interesting, especially when I followed it up and googled to find some of the original research.

The "attitude" was not against you, I promise you! It's just that some of us hate the Daily Mail! Mind you, I hate the Express even more. I get it on Sunday and Monday for the crosswords, and hardly ever read through the paper itself (bad for my blood pressure) but the other day I found a political story which I had dealt with about four years ago when I was working - it was practically word for word, and as inaccurate now as it was then!

I do like brown rice and pasta, and opt to have these when I can. However, for people on a budget, it's not always the best option sadly as it is a lot more expensive than white stuff.

I agree with other posters though, if we believed every health scare type story we read (anywhere) we'd never have anything unless we'd grown or reared it ourselves! Nice thought but i'm not allowed livestock in my garden!!!

Back