Day 3 and disheartened - I'm a cr*p cook

i
I posted this recipe earlier today and would recommend this and adapting for slimming world (dont use the oil / butter and dont use the flour). I did use the wine though and synned it)!

jools’s favourite beef stew | Jamie Oliver Recipes (UK)

Actually casseroles are my favourite recipes as you can add flavour without fat very easily.
Other things I recommend are:
stir fry veg with either beef / chicken or prawns (served with egg noodles or rice). and i use a blue dragon sachet synning 20 cals for 1 syn so the black bean sauce is 3 syns when shared with 2.

Or I make slimming world chips and serve with veg and then any of the following:
gammon
steak
chicken (wrap in tinfoil in a parcel on some lemon)
Salmon - as above

i make this stew and its lush!!! but i leave out the naughty bits aswell....and the artichokes....ewww

Dont feel like u have to 'cook' everything from scratch! One of our favourite meals is a cooked chicken from supermarket, jacket potatoes with laughing cow's on with either salad (if nice day) or steamfresh veg from the microwave! I dont know if yr kids eat the same as you but supermarkets (i've seen in tesco and asda) do fresh mixed veg in a bag that u just stab and bob in the microwave! yummy and crunchy! Big enough for 3/4 and cheaper than the birdseye ones!

I am not a bad cook, but got fed up with cooking the same stuff and got bored with cooking. One of the many benefits of SW is I enjoy cooking again, yet still first time I used yoghurt in a curry, it curdled, looked manky but tasted great though!

Do you like spicy foods? I made a dead easy paella the other day. Onions & garlic cooked till soft. Add peppers & mushrooms and cook for a couple of mins. Add rice & stir. Add stock (i used veg stock) to cover, smoked paprika & cayenne pepper. Leave for 15 mins & the add cooked king prawns for 5 mins.

It would be free on extra easy or green (if you use the prawns as a HEB). I also added 6 syns worth of chorizo.

If you used already cut up & frozen veg then i reckon it could be cooked in 1/2 an hour, and it doesn't need standing over either.

Do you like spicy foods? I made a dead easy paella the other day. Onions & garlic cooked till soft. Add peppers & mushrooms and cook for a couple of mins. Add rice & stir. Add stock (i used veg stock) to cover, smoked paprika & cayenne pepper. Leave for 15 mins & the add cooked king prawns for 5 mins.

It would be free on extra easy or green (if you use the prawns as a HEB). I also added 6 syns worth of chorizo.

If you used already cut up & frozen veg then i reckon it could be cooked in 1/2 an hour, and it doesn't need standing over either.

sounds good, but id have to replace the prawns with chicken or turkey....prawns make me think of little aliens!

Noddynoobs said:
sounds good, but id have to replace the prawns with chicken or turkey....prawns make me think of little aliens!

Fair enough! Fine to put chicken, or turkey, or pork if you fancy it.

Hi
Well tonight we had SW chips and SW cheeseburger (I had mine minus the
Cheese and minus the bun but with beans). It was delish! Yippee! Only thing is- I had it in my head to have my 1/3 superfree AFTER my meal (planned to have a Fruit salad). But I was too full. My portions must have been to big. I had a carrot and some red pepper after instead but god I was full. When u r having your superfree after your meal do u give yourself a small enough main meal?
Also the burgers were yum but a tiny bit bland (just mince shallot garlic worchester sauce s&p). Anything I could add to liven them up? Thanks

kingleds said:

Really sounds yum. I think I could manage that. Thanks!

Mooky said:
Hi
Well tonight we had SW chips and SW cheeseburger (I had mine minus the
Cheese and minus the bun but with beans). It was delish! Yippee! Only thing is- I had it in my head to have my 1/3 superfree AFTER my meal (planned to have a Fruit salad). But I was too full. My portions must have been to big. I had a carrot and some red pepper after instead but god I was full. When u r having your superfree after your meal do u give yourself a small enough main meal?
Also the burgers were yum but a tiny bit bland (just mince shallot garlic worchester sauce s&p). Anything I could add to liven them up? Thanks

Oh and can I fry the burger in fry light rather than grill? Thanks

Yep, you can fry them in frylight :) Have you tried crumbling an oxo cube into your burgers? I did that with mine and they were yummy. Onion may also have a stronger taste than shallot :) Also if you like chilli you could add some chilli powder. You do need plenty of seasoning for mince definitely!

Maybe even adding a tsp of marmite or bovril into the mix may work. I also have something called mushroom ketchup (bit like worcestershire sauce) which was lovely when added to turkey burgers :)

I am an ok cook - thats about as much praise as I can really give myself lol.

I love my slow cooker - I always bung in a tin of tomatoes or passata plus a stock cube and some hot water - they're my base - and then I add anything else I feel like and somehow at the end of the day I have a nice dins!! Eg, I might add quorn mince, an onion, kidney beans, any other veg plust some chilli spice to make chilli con carne. I might just add some butter beans, lentils and a few different veg and some black pepper. Or some chickpeas etc - basically whatever I bung in turns into a sort of tasty stew!

I also chop up all sorts of veg thats maybe going off, add some stock, simmer it for awhile and hey presto - tasty soup! Again, it doesnt seem to matter what I add, its all veggies and seems to taste nice n hearty. If I think theres not enough flavour I add a bit of curry powder and turn it into curried veg soup.

The other think I love is a non cook dish! - pickles!! I have the quorn deli ham, cherry toms, lettuce, pickled egg, pickled onions, red cabbage, baby beetroots, pickled gherkins etc etc and I end up with a lush plate of tons of different food with not one bit of cooking involved :)

Hope these help - as you can see, none of them are recipes, they are mostly just bung it all todether ideas xxx

Back