Day of slimming world and I am really struggling today :(

I started slimming world extra easy on Friday and was amazed that on Friday and most of the weekend I resisted all my favourite foods and thought 'yeah this cant last' cos I am a massive chocolaholic and sugar addict. Despite going out for meals at the weekend I basically stuck to the plan although did give in last night and had 2 hifi bars and a smoothie. I felt really good. Well today I feel like crap and know I will probably have a cry later as Ive been proved right and today I am really struggling and have basically given up on the day and will try again tomorrow. The problem began when I didn't sleep well last night and I always find being tired = no willpower and I crave sugary foods. Secondly all I had in for breakfast was high sugar yogurt (onken strawberry wholegrain) so I had the rest that was left (half) and worked out that was 8 syns gone. Then got to work and was still hungry so ended up eating one of the chocolate biscuits in the office from Friday and then I had about 3 chocolate biscuits at coffee break plus chocolate granola and flapjack that I already had in my drawer (I hate throwing food away). Im trying really hard not to beat myself up but there was such a massive part of me that thought I couldn't do slimming world again as I was going to fail and not be able to resist chocolate and sugary foods and now I feel like I have been proved right. I am terrified of not losing weight at the first weigh in on Thursday and I know for a fact if I don't lose weight I will just give up again.

Another thing I am really struggling with is the healthy extras. I like eating cereal for breakfast as I cant be bothered preparing anything in the morning but I also like soup and toast or a sandwich for lunch. This means I have to syn my lunch which I can guarantee means Ill go over on my syns. I have done slimming world before and know it works as I have previously lost 3.5 stone but am seriously doubting whether I can stick the extra easy plan out as I find it far more restrictive re healthy extras than the previous red and green days. I need some encouragement and advice, ideas. Please help :) Thank you :)

1 bad day does not mean you are going to fail. I struggled like MAD my first week, I started 5 days before Easter and am also a major chocoholic. I also still have cereal as my HEB, but I try and mix it up what I have so I don't get bored. I cheat a bit as well and don't weigh and measure first thing, I just eat how much I know will fill me and keep me going until luchtime.
Chin up, it's bound to take some time to adjust, I'm sure you'll soon get back in the swing x

It sounds to me like you've given up on the day already when really there is no need.

What you can do better is make sure you have either a non hexb breakfast, leaving bread for lunch or finding something different to have for lunch. This is where subbing to many diaries on here can help, you can see what other people have.

You can plan your meals in advance so tonight when you get home see what you have in & see what you can have for tomorrow's meals.

Also I find it helps if I work the syns out for foods first, I do put sticky labels on stuff as well, that way I know how I'm doing syn wise.

Do you know why you didn't sleep well, and had you slept well what would you have had for breakfast, bearing in mind you said you normally have hexb, but today had yogurt.

You can do this.

I have done slimming world before and know it works as I have previously lost 3.5 stone but am seriously doubting whether I can stick the extra easy plan out as I find it far more restrictive re healthy extras than the previous red and green days. I need some encouragement and advice, ideas.
If the red/green plans worked for you before, there is no reason why you can not do them again. SW are no longer actively promoting them, but if you have joined a group or online and have access to the website, the plans are available there.
And as those above have said, one bad day does not mean you have failed. Draw a line, start again.

It's called a "self-fulfilling prophecy". You said "this can't last" to yourself, and now you are saying "I've been proved right" and "I will give up". You aren't giving yourself a chance because you have decided in your own mind that you are doomed from the start.

Also, you have around you foods that you know you shouldn't eat. What was the high-sugar yogurt still doing in your fridge when you have been doing SW since Friday? Why are there high-syn foods in your desk? If you can't bear to throw them away, you could give them away. In any case, don't think of it as throwing away food, but throwing away junk.

If you want to do red and green, and have an extra HEXB, then do it. The plans are online.

But what you really need to do is to decide to get it right. Change the prophecy.

Its tough! No one said it was easy!! That's why we're all here ;)

Its no good saying I want cereal for brekky but then I want toast for lunch and if I use my syns, then I know I'll go over..and......and.....and!
You have to plan, plan, plan....it can be done!

You probably lasted a couple of days but then your body was crying out for sugar and you caved in. Not surprising, sugar is really addictive and if you keep feeding it, it will probably always be like that. I don't have a massive sweet tooth fortunately, but when I do give in and have some, I don't know when to stop! I have to cut it out altogether as a little isn't enough for me! I look at it like I am drip feeding the sugar demon!

Also, if you really want to succeed, you cant 'use up' food that is high synned on the plan, just because you can't bear to throw it away. You are giving yourself mixed messages. Yes you can have them but you have to sacrifice your syns for them. You cant have it both ways, that's what dieting is all about!!

As already said, if you can't manage with 1 HE B then swap plans. Personally, I also find it hard to just have the one so I tend to follow red or green with an occasional EE. How about boiled eggs for breakfast, just shelled and eaten, or fruit and low synned/free yogurt? Honestly the choices are endless when you really start looking. I ate yesterdays left over roasted veg for my breakfast this morning, topped off with a HE A of Feta cheese...delicious and filling.

I'm a massive sugar person too, I swapped all of the bad food in the house for really low syn treats like freddo bars and those pink and white marshmallow things. My consulant lost 5stone and she ate a freddo a day for 2 years because she's a chocoholic!
As for breakfasts, i'm exactly the same, i tend to eat hifi bars for breakfast because i'd rather sleep than eat, but i mix it up a couple of days a week with muller light and fruit, occasionally an omelette if i'm feeling adventurous ;)

Good luck, Purplesunshine. It is hard but think how you'll regret it several months down the line, if you give in now. I've been to SW before and always remember what my first Consultant said - 'Nothing changes, if nothing changes.' How very true that is.

Kathy x

Its tough! No one said it was easy!! That's why we're all here ;)

Its no good saying I want cereal for brekky but then I want toast for lunch and if I use my syns, then I know I'll go over..and......and.....and!
You have to plan, plan, plan....it can be done!

You probably lasted a couple of days but then your body was crying out for sugar and you caved in. Not surprising, sugar is really addictive and if you keep feeding it, it will probably always be like that. I don't have a massive sweet tooth fortunately, but when I do give in and have some, I don't know when to stop! I have to cut it out altogether as a little isn't enough for me! I look at it like I am drip feeding the sugar demon!

Also, if you really want to succeed, you cant 'use up' food that is high synned on the plan, just because you can't bear to throw it away. You are giving yourself mixed messages. Yes you can have them but you have to sacrifice your syns for them. You cant have it both ways, that's what dieting is all about!!

As already said, if you can't manage with 1 HE B then swap plans. Personally, I also find it hard to just have the one so I tend to follow red or green with an occasional EE. How about boiled eggs for breakfast, just shelled and eaten, or fruit and low synned/free yogurt? Honestly the choices are endless when you really start looking. I ate yesterdays left over roasted veg for my breakfast this morning, topped off with a HE A of Feta cheese...delicious and filling.

Thanks everyone and yes you are right. I might ask the consultant on Thursday about maybe doing the red/green days again. I thought that wasn't an option anymore because of EE. I guess I am lazy and don't like doing loads of preparation, I go for convenience whereas the one thing I have learned about SW is you have to do loads of prep. I gave in again this morning and had a double decker choc bar. It doesn't help that my work sells really cheap choc bars and goodies every morning (25p each) and I tried to resist temptation and had a low cal hot choc but eventually I gave in :( The good thing is I am moving jobs in a few weeks and there wont be the same temptations there so I am hoping it will be easier then. I am also an emotional eater and I struggle with that too. I really do want to lose weight so much and change my eating habits as I know I eat too much sugar but its hard, very hard and I feel like such a failure that I couldn't even last on the plan for one week :( A lot of it is what I say to myself. I really need to change my thoughts to be able to change. I have decided to ring the consultant and talk to her about it.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Sorry for being a massive downer but I cant do it :( Yes I know I am giving up before I have begun but I absolutely cannot cope with the crappy feelings that come with knowing you have given in and let yourself down. Trying to lose weight when you are an emotional eater is quite frankly...impossible :( Tonight I am really upset because I have messed up and I cant cope feeling like this every time I mess up

Sorry for being a massive downer but I cant do it :( Yes I know I am giving up before I have begun but I absolutely cannot cope with the crappy feelings that come with knowing you have given in and let yourself down. Trying to lose weight when you are an emotional eater is quite frankly...impossible :( Tonight I am really upset because I have messed up and I cant cope feeling like this every time I mess up

Hun you haven't messed up. It's normal for people to feel like you're feeling right now. Trust me nobody is 100% on plan all the time. We all have days when we think sod it I'll have that piece of cake or that bar of chocolate. Please don't give in just yet. See how you go on when you move jobs. I don't do that much planning with meals. I like what I like and I'm not very adventurous so I stick with simple meals. Some of the challenges in this forum I find help a lot too. I understand you are an emotional eater and have a sweet tooth which is why SW have things that compensate. Chocko1 (above) has some scrummy desserts if you click on the link under her name which would satisfy the sweetest tooth!! We're all here for you, it's what this forum is all about. You are not alone. If you want a moan and groan that's fine. One day at a time hun...one day at a time. :bighug:

I think you need to stop being so hard on yourself. We all give in to temptation sometimes and binge. I would have been at target a long time ago if I could have restricted myself but the important thing is I got back on plan and forgave myself.
If you are an emotional eater, slimming world is great. You can make lots of comforting foods that are syn free and use your 15 syns wisely and it's amazing how much you can eat.
X

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but if other people who are "emotional eaters" (actually, at some point that probably includes all of us!) and who like sweet things and chocolate, can do it, why can't you?

What is so different about you?

We all "fail" and some point or another - the point is what we do next. We could all give up or we can, as the Duke of Wellington said, "tie a knot and carry on".

Yes, it's hard. It's hard for everyone, not just you.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but if other people who are "emotional eaters" (actually, at some point that probably includes all of us!) and who like sweet things and chocolate, can do it, why can't you?

We all "fail" and some point or another - the point is what we do next. We could all give up or we can, as the Duke of Wellington said, "tie a knot and carry on".

So true and well said, it does sound harsh, but harsh is needed sometimes, or is it harsh, hmmm not so sure now, firm maybe which is good.

So true and well said, it does sound harsh, but harsh is needed sometimes, or is it harsh, hmmm not so sure now, firm maybe which is good.

Its not really harsh....or even firm, its the truth!
What is happening to you is what happens to most of us everyday. Dieting is all about willpower, it really is as simple as that, except its not simple!! lol

If your heads not in the right frame of mind, its hard, bloody hard! But don't feel its just you and that you have failed. We are all here for the same reason, and as cliché as that sounds, its true! As good as SW is, we would all much rather be eating the foods that we are not supposed to, the food that got us overweight in the first place, but we know we cant continue like that if we want to lose weight. You have to make your choice and only you can do that. Its not impossible.

Thanks everyone and yes you are right. I might ask the consultant on Thursday about maybe doing the red/green days again. I thought that wasn't an option anymore because of EE. I guess I am lazy and don't like doing loads of preparation, I go for convenience whereas the one thing I have learned about SW is you have to do loads of prep. I gave in again this morning and had a double decker choc bar. It doesn't help that my work sells really cheap choc bars and goodies every morning (25p each) and I tried to resist temptation and had a low cal hot choc but eventually I gave in :( The good thing is I am moving jobs in a few weeks and there wont be the same temptations there so I am hoping it will be easier then. I am also an emotional eater and I struggle with that too. I really do want to lose weight so much and change my eating habits as I know I eat too much sugar but its hard, very hard and I feel like such a failure that I couldn't even last on the plan for one week :( A lot of it is what I say to myself. I really need to change my thoughts to be able to change. I have decided to ring the consultant and talk to her about it.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Hey!

You've definitely not failed, you've just began and also the fact you went in the first place shows you're not a failure.

Have you tried keeping a food diary? What type of foods are your favourite? Maybe we can help you find SW versions. My favourite food is mac and cheese I have a huge "cheese tooth lol" rather than chocolate. I could eat blocks of the stuff. It's all about changing your ideals. Then even if you do make a mistake or go over it's not the end of the world. For example today I'm already at 19syns. I know this isn't great but everything I'll eat for the weekend will be right on plan. I was just craving a galaxy. So I bought one. I know I can pull it back and one chocolate bar isn't the end of the world.

How have you done today? Is there anything we can help with?

This reminds me of that saying, dunno who it's by, "Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Which would you prefer?"

Back