debate this...

peachy7

Silver Member
Do you think i general if you weigh more you have bigger losses than someone who only has a smaller amount to lose?
And is it easier to lose weight???

It depends as everyone is different, depends what plan they are doing and depends if they are sticking to it 100%.

Im not near target yet but have really slow losses yet my friend also doing SW is closer to target and have bigger losses and is rarely 100%.

I think with something like this there cant really be any assumptions, but i suppose once you get really close to target if its in the lowest of your healthy bmi then as you get closer your body may cling to you weight a bit more.

xx

I think when you weigh more, you definitely lose more weight. Its probably in similar ratio to those with less to lose though!
So although it sounds like its easier to lose weight because someone with more weight to lose would be losing more each week, they also have a lot more to lose so overall I dont think its any easier!

I'm not sure on this as everyone is different. There are people at my group who have a lot to lose, some lose 4lb a week, some lose a pound.
There are also people who really don't stick to plan yet lose a couple of pounds every week.

I would never say it's easier to anyone to lose weight regardless of their size and we have had slim people lose 3lb while larger ladies lose one.

Bodies are very strange!

i think that makes sense, it 'seems' that if you have a lot to lose it's easier to lose it, but it's relative. 3lb weight loss is great, but if you have 6 stone to lose it's 3.5% (i think) if you only have 1 stone to lose and you lose 1lb it's 7% (i think!) so although 'lb' wise the first person lost more, percentage wise, the 2nd person lost more.

is that at all relevant?!

You would think so, but I know at my class (I am the WI lady) that recently some of the biggest losses are from those who haven't got that much to loose.....! Saying that though, these ladies have all said they have gained weight very slowly over a long period of time so I personally don't think they are 'meant' to be overweight - if you see what I mean.

I think bigger people lose more right at the beginning, usually because of all the fluid their body lets go of, plus without meaning to cause offence, bigger people usually eat more rubbish food - so the change to the SW way of eating is a big one to their bodies. They might still be eating a lot, but as it's so much healthy foods, their body seems to give up the weight a bit easier.

I have found that the weight you lose in the week is all down to your body type. I lose about 1lb to 1.5lbs a week which I feel is slow but must be right for my body.

also i guess if you're big and you do exercise it's like a 'normal' person doing the exercise with lots of weights on them ;) that's what i tell myself, that im running with stones and stones of potatoes tied to me! haha!

i think that makes sense, it 'seems' that if you have a lot to lose it's easier to lose it, but it's relative. 3lb weight loss is great, but if you have 6 stone to lose it's 3.5% (i think) if you only have 1 stone to lose and you lose 1lb it's 7% (i think!) so although 'lb' wise the first person lost more, percentage wise, the 2nd person lost more.

is that at all relevant?!

totally relevant! thats exactly what I was thinking but I couldnt get my head round the numbers! :p

I think it all depends on your metabolism to start with, I do think the 'bigger' people lose more their first week but then after that it can slow right down, men though seem to lose a lot more weight than women, I don't get why that is but every man I have known that has done SW always loses more than the women each week. My boss & his wife joined in January & they are eating the exact same things yet she has lost 9 pounds and he is on 1.5 stone loss now..that I struggle to get my head around!

I agree to a point that people who have a lot to lose generally see bigger losses the 1st few weeks, but like Woodsylou says its all relative! It may look like its easier for larger people to lose weight, but it will slow down the closer you get to target! I lost the first couple of stones really quickly, but now i dont have so much to lose, its still coming off, just a little bit slower than it did to start off with- so i think it kinda makes sense, to me anyways!! xxx

I can't speak for others but I consider myself one of the 'bigger' ones yet my loss is very slow. I am a busy working mother and I have never been a particular eater of lots of the crap food so I think that my slow loss is because the change to the SW regime is not so different from how I was eating already. I get a little irked when it is assumed that because I am fat, it must be because I eat crap and I also get a little more irked when it is assumed that my losses are slow because I don't follow the plan properly :)mad:). That said, we are all different and for many larger people, they may see quick results. However, I have noticed many on here who are close to target and still have great losses.

The way I look at it is, if 'we' all lived together in an institution and were made to eat, drink and move identically, we would not all weigh the same or be the same size (even if we were all the same height ;)). The fact is, we are just all very different people which, is what makes us as humans so unique.

Back