Depot injection

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by Louise24, 26 August 2010 Social URL.

1. Louise24

Louise24 Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted some advice really. I was on the depot contaceptive injection for about 2 and a half years, my periods stopped completely, as they're meant to.

Anyway - I decided to give my body a break and came off it in October 09, however, my periods have still not returned. Not that I am looking forward its appearance every month, but would like to go "back to normal".

Hosp did a preg test yesterday which was negative :D so it's not that.

It can take up to a year for them to come back but just wondering what experience you other girlies had? x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I am a bit long in the tooth to answer this one but just had to see what a depot injection was. I actually thought you worked in a depot and there was going to be an injection of funds or staff.............how wrong could I be.

Another learning curve for me.

I am sure someone can help you.

Louise24 likes this.
  4. downsizingmycurves

downsizingmycurves Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st3.5lb
    Lost(%):
    3st3.5lb(18.24%)
    Diet:
    Currently Paul McKenna
    Hi

My periods took over a year to make an appearance and even then, it was another six months before they went back to being regular.

I had a three month gap between my first post depo period and the next. I remember sitting utterley dumbfounded when, at that three month stage, the doc asked me if I could be pregnant when I went to him with severe lower stomache pains and lethergy.

Of course it turned out to be period pains (I came on the next day) - I'd just forgotten what they were like!

Last edited: 26 August 2010
  5. MadameLaMinx

MadameLaMinx Gold Member

I was on depot for quite a long time, and came off it to TTC. I was quite big at that point and after 2 years w/o even the slightest indication of anything happening, I went to the fertility clinic. They forced me (kindly) into losing a lot of weight, and my cycle began to show some signs of recovery but I still required Clomid to actually get pregnant. I lost more weight after the birth of DD1, and got caught again without help.

It is hard to know just how much of the problem was depot based and how much was to do with my weight, but as you are already being looked at by the hospital, if things haven't improved by a year after you stopped it, request further testing.

Hope it sorts itself out soon, and don't worry, depot is notorious for taking this long to clear.

6. Lor

Lor Member

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Current Weight:
    13st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(8.17%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Louise,

You are definately not alone, I used depot provera for 5 ish yrs and as with yourself my periods stopped.

When I decided to stop it took almost 15 months after the date of my depo being due again, and several worried doctor visits (where I was was just told to wait it out!!) for any sign of a period and then 6 more months to get into a regular routine.

I stopped because after having an accidental break then restarting, I realised it was making me feel quite down.

I was 24 when I stopped and have gone on to have 2 gorgeous boys, but never gone back to any hormone containing contraception.

I hope this helps a little xox

7. Louise24

Louise24 Gold Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks everyone, it's only been 10 months so I'll give it a while yet I guess.

As much as I want them back I'm also dreading period pain again - the joys of being a woman hey!

Also - it could be my weight but I'm at least 2 stone lighter now than when I started on injections. It's scary what chemicals do to our bodies x

8. Littleslimmingbee

Littleslimmingbee Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    it took 11 months for mine to come back!

9. metrognome

metrognome is getting better at it

Start Weight:
    17st10lb
    Current Weight:
    15st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.11%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    i was on the depo for years then came off and my monthly started 3 months later, then i went back on the depo after a year as i could no longer stannd the pain

10. foodjunkie10

foodjunkie10 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(14.29%)
    Diet:
    Who Knows!!
    It took 18 months for my periods to come back, i only had one then fell pregnant lol.

11. maypole

maypole loves to eat

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I was the same as you. I had the injection for about 3 years. Had no period for 1 year after I came off it & ended up taking the pill for a month to kick start me

HTH x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.