Depressing post ..dont read if u r feeling inspired....ok not that depressing!!

NooNoo1970

Hi there all, I have warned you that this is a bit of a depressing post and I really dont want to put anybody off CD as I know its a fab diet.

BUT...I wondered if there was a clinical/logical reason why peeps who have regained weight after any VLCD, seem to gain thier loss back and then some? Its the 'then some' I dont understand.
Its logical if we go back to our old ways of eating we will gain weight back(and its nothing to do with just eating normal sensible food....as some un-educated, Anti VLCD people think)

Me, for example...I started in april 2006, weighing my worst ever at 14.6..hated it enough to start CD, lost 3st 3...felt wonderful at 11st3, but cos I didnt see it through to the end and didnt change my thinking/relationship with food gained some of it again, Jan last yr I was 13.10 again....then I got to 11.7 for my wedding in march. By jan 2008 I was 15.1!!! So an 8lb gain to my initial starting weight.

How come after feeling soo good about ourselves, some of us allow ourselves to go above and beyond what spured us to start in the first place?

I kow I am not the only one, I have read plenty on here who have done the same.

This certainly doesnt mean we will never stay slim,' You havent Failed till you give up trying', but why do we do it to ourselves?

Just food for thought and something I dont know can be answered..but any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks...and sorry to be so depressing!

The good thing is that are tonnes of peeps on here who have lost their weight and kept it off and each and everyone of them are an inspiration to me!

BTW I am now on day 3 of SS-ing again and back in the 14's with a 5lb loss so far this week.

Thanks for reading...Lou

Hi Lou .... we often seem to be on similar stages of the diet at the same time.

I did LL/CD in Oct 05 and went from 15.3 to 11.3 - a size 20/22 to a size 12/14. Then I lost sight of my goal and due to stress overate ... = weight gain. I didn't put on the extra ... infact the most I've weighed since 10/05 is what I am now 14.5 - BUT if I continue like this it will all go back on - and some.

I'm finding it hard - sooooo hard to get my motivation back - and I do want to do it ... but it isn't easy. Not sure what to suggest, except like you I'm not giving up and one day I will be back down to my size 12's!!!!

(((HUGS)))

I think the sad fact is that there's a very high rate of regain with EVERY diet ... isn't it something like 90% +?

Every diet I've ever been on and lost an appreciable amount of weight, I've ended up regaining it all plus more. That was true of Roemary Conley, 'healthy eating' or any other mainstream diet plan and how I 'dieted' my way up to 22st.
I regained my weight much faster this time though (don't know if that's indicative of regains after a VLCD or not) - 5st in 10 months is a scarily super-fast gain. But then I WAS pumped full of progesterone and I personally think that hormones have a bigger role in weight gain than many people think.

One of my problems is that I never 'think' like a slim person - even when I'm thinner. At 12st 7lb I felt like an 'obese person in a thinner body' and always had the feeling that the thinner body was only 'on loan' - does that make sense?

I guess I constantly set myself up for failure - until I stop doing that then the writing is on the wall and I'm orchestrating a repeat of the same pattern over and over again.

THIS time I am working at adjusting my twisted thinking because if I keep doing what I've always done - I'll get what I always got.

Lou, I'm the same as you kid. I dunno why we do it to ourselves but we seem to go into self destruct mode, I dunno why.

I know that when I've been binging lately (and I do mean binging) EG, eating 8 dime bars in one day besides EVERYTHING else in sight, I just crave the taste and have to eat it.

I would go out in the pixxing down rain just to re stock on my dime bars. They were 25p in one of our local shops and I'd buy 8 at a time. I did this a few times a week for weeks. I'd also buy other naughty stuff while I was there too so I was eating way more than that.

I am actually shocked at myself that I could eat so much.
I don't believe that any fat person wants to be fat but they and we still shovel in food into our mouths knowing how bad it is for us. On that point actually, I don't think some of us know how bad this food can be for us (me included) maybe that's why we continue to do it, yeah we know it'll make us fat, that's bad enough but, do we really know how bad it can be for our health?? As an ex-smoker I'm all for anti smoking adverts showing a poor man literally on his death bed (god rest his soul) to deter people from smoking, maybe the government should start an advertising campaign showing what excess amounts of fat does to our insides and the effects it can have on us...maybe that would scare us into eating healthily. Maybe that's to come. Gordon Brown has already said he wants us to look after ourselves in order to recieve help from the NHS, I don't know the ins and outs of this latest report but I tend to agree. I just wish that there was more help out there for us problem eaters. There are loads of other groups for smokers, alcoholics, anorexics etc...which I'm all for, I just wish there was more help for us. I know some people out there would just say..."it's easy, just don't eat junk"...but we know it's not that easy.

so sorry to go on and on.

good luck with your cd journey hun :D

xx sj xx

I so agree with both of you have said.!

S.J I think you are so brave actually admitting what you have eaten. I actually tried to finish up my jar of peanut butter on sun before my CD restart...I ended up eating like 8 slices of toast in the space of an hour!
I am prepering dinner...and stuff crisps and biscuits in my mouth...I am doing CD and thinking about silly stuff when I go to asda!

Will I ever change...NO I guess I just have to learn one day how to control and be on top of my cravings and eating habits..Otherwise like RD says we will end up getting what we have always got!
And I hate the apron I have(belly one that is ...not the cooking one!!!), I hate the huge boobs(even though Hub LOVES them!) I hate the fact all my clothes dont fit and I have to find ones in the morning that cover up my huge belly!!!

I cant quiet say that I hate myself, but I dont like the way I look and the way my clothes look on me and they way I feel less important ...just cos I am big!

But we are all here to try again....so lets do it this time and try and change out thinking and then our eating
Thanks ladies and good luck on your journeys XXX

seem to gain thier loss back and then some? Its the 'then some' I dont understand.

Interesting twist:)

For me, it was easy. I was either on a diet or off a diet. There was no maintaining. For 30+ years I never even considered I was capable of maintaining. I dieted, gained, dieted, gained.

Not dieting meant I could eat anything I wanted, any portion size I wanted....because after all I wasn't dieting, and that's what you did. Well...that's what I did. Perhaps a case of denial that my weight was going up, but I think not. I knew it would. It was inevitable, but just didn't like to think about it too much, because thinking about it meant I had to get back on that diet again.

So to get back to the question of why more? Because it would have been more anyway. Dieting delayed it. That's all.

I see where you are coming from karion, but I had maintained the 14,6 for 2/3yrs(wow wasnt I good!!:rolleyes:) I wouldnt allow myself to get beyond it........but then for some reason on the CD-gain I just flew past it!!#:eek:
I dont know any answers but just hope one day I can sort it out

Anyways thanks for your thoughts...I am off for some shut eye now...sleep well hon and a huge well done on your loss and your maintainence!!!

Lou X

Will I ever change...NO I guess I just have to learn one day how to control and be on top of my cravings and eating habits..Otherwise like RD says we will end up getting what we have always got!
And I hate the apron I have(belly one that is ...not the cooking one!!!), I hate the huge boobs(even though Hub LOVES them!) I hate the fact all my clothes dont fit and I have to find ones in the morning that cover up my huge belly!!!

I cant quiet say that I hate myself, but I dont like the way I look and the way my clothes look on me and they way I feel less important ...just cos I am big!

But we are all here to try again....so lets do it this time and try and change out thinking and then our eating
Thanks ladies and good luck on your journeys XXX

I could have written this myself.
P.S. MY APRON BELLY IS THE WORST OF THE WORST:cry::D

I could have written this myself.
P.S. MY APRON BELLY IS THE WORST OF THE WORST:cry::D

'Fraid not ... I make Buddha's belly look washboard flat!! ;)

Not dieting meant I could eat anything I wanted, any portion size I wanted....because after all I wasn't dieting, and that's what you did. Well...that's what I did. Perhaps a case of denial that my weight was going up, but I think not. I knew it would. It was inevitable, but just didn't like to think about it too much, because thinking about it meant I had to get back on that diet again.

I can totally relate to this, ditto ditto on all of the above.

xx sj xx

Great post Karion - that is the thing I realised through the LL counselling - I suddenley understood that I was constantly in a state of diet or binging before the next diet began - never an in between state.

I have taught myself that food is always going to be there, I can enjoy it - and when I am done leave it be, and come back to it later - I don't have to shovel everything in sight into myself in the fear that I have to go for months without it. I actually put on weight between my LL info session and my first class a week later - everyday in between was like the last supper and I made sure I stuffed everything I loved (and probably a few things I didn't even care about) in my mouth because I knew it would seem like forever before I had it again. It is madness now I realise, but I think we all get trapped in that state of mind when we have food issues.

My hope now is that I can sustain my new approach, and not let the demons back in. I think if I make myself the promise that I will never severely restrict myself again, and that I can always have whatever I want - in moderation - I will get through it. But after 20+ years of constant dieting or shovelling I think it will still be a challenge!

I will trust in RtM and work hard to fight those deprivation demons!

Leesy
xox

Hiya Girls,

Good Post Lou, As you know I Started CD with you at 14.4, got down to 12.2 & felt fab, now Re-starting yet again at 15.1lb, which is the biggest I have EVER been,

I Really do hate the way I feel about myself, my work clothes are tight, I am always tugging at my clothes at work, my hooters have a mind of there own as they undo the buttons on my blouse, Which is a sign I must be getting fatter, but I REFUSE to buy any more clothes especially in a bigger size as I am on CD now so hopefully I WILL stick to this get to a nice weight & never put it back, I must remember how being overweight makes me feel, :sign0137:

Hiya Girls,

Good Post Lou, As you know I Started CD with you at 14.4, got down to 12.2 & felt fab, now Re-starting yet again at 15.1lb, which is the biggest I have EVER been,

I Really do hate the way I feel about myself, my work clothes are tight, I am always tugging at my clothes at work, my hooters have a mind of there own as they undo the buttons on my blouse, Which is a sign I must be getting fatter, but I REFUSE to buy any more clothes especially in a bigger size as I am on CD now so hopefully I WILL stick to this get to a nice weight & never put it back, I must remember how being overweight makes me feel, :sign0137:

Your blouses will be swimming on you in no time. I too refuse to buy anymore clothes. The only clothes we'll be buying hun are the size 12's in a few months time :D bring it on !!!!!!!

xx sj xx

Your blouses will be swimming on you in no time. I too refuse to buy anymore clothes. The only clothes we'll be buying hun are the size 12's in a few months time :D bring it on !!!!!!!

xx sj xx

Ha Ha, Hope so Chick. X

I have taught myself that food is always going to be there, I can enjoy it - and when I am done leave it be, and come back to it later - I don't have to shovel everything in sight into myself in the fear that I have to go for months without it.

Yes, that was my lightbulb moment.

My hope now is that I can sustain my new approach, and not let the demons back in. I think if I make myself the promise that I will never severely restrict myself again, and that I can always have whatever I want - in moderation - I will get through it. But after 20+ years of constant dieting or shovelling I think it will still be a challenge!
Yes. I found it a bit of a challenge to say the least, but I've done it and not put on more than 4lbs in the 2.5 years, and that was hols and Christmas. Then I managed to lose it again without doing a diet plan, but just getting back to normal.

Usually I stay around goal give or take 2lbs either way :cool: If I can do it, anyone can. Promise. Just got to get the head in the right place.

I think this diet works so well because it pretty much takes away the issue that most obese or overweight people have an issue with and that is their relationship with food. I know i'm addicted to food. I use it for all sorts of reasons, when i'm happy, sad, angry or just bored. Food has been my friend for many years and my instant reaction in tricky times is to eat. And i'm obsessed with it, just like a heroine addict is obsessed with getting their drugs, I can spend hours planning out a binge, considering the food i' going to buy, the packet of chocolate finger's i'll eat in the car between the super market and home. I'll have a whole conversation in my head justifying my binge ... bet when i'm properly on this diet that goes away, because there is no choice, food is no longer there and i can no longer use it as an excuse to hide behind or wallow in.
What went wrong for me was the realisation that a lot of the things in my life that were **** had nothing to do with my weight, it was actually me. And life didn't become perfect when i lost weight either. Believe me, it was alot better in many different ways, but boys still broke my heart, i still felt insecure, people were still sometimes horrible... and that was a big shock. So i know I ate to put back those layers of fat which keep me protected and give me something to blame. It's something i'd been doing all my life and is a difficult habit to break.
I just hope on here, noonoo, you can see there are many people here who understand how hard it is to be on a diet your whole life, be a food addict and not understand why you feel this way about food. I'm just so glad there are places like this board where we can get support from people who really understand how hard it is.

Keep going ... remember it's a journey not a race. I told myself that when I ate 10 poppadoms yesterday!!!!! xx Julia xx

Yes, that was my lightbulb moment.

Yes. I found it a bit of a challenge to say the least, but I've done it and not put on more than 4lbs in the 2.5 years, and that was hols and Christmas. Then I managed to lose it again without doing a diet plan, but just getting back to normal.

Usually I stay around goal give or take 2lbs either way :cool: If I can do it, anyone can. Promise. Just got to get the head in the right place.

You have my upmost respect Karion - what an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing your maintenance experience, it really helps give me the faith that I can do it. To be honest, I feel stronger knowing that I have (well nearly) reached my goal. Every other diet I have sabotaged in the early stages. I have never been a slim adult, and this feeling really is the best in the world - I just need to keep reminding myself of how good it feels when the naughty things come a calling.

I was pleased with my attitude to food over xmas - I did go off plan, and I did have the things I wanted - but bearing in mind I gave myself free rein for two days and only put on half a pound I think I must have done ok. It wasn't the bingefest it would have been in the past.

We can all do it, and we will all find the strength somewhere inside us to do it - I have faith!

Leesy
xox

I think this diet works so well because it pretty much takes away the issue that most obese or overweight people have an issue with and that is their relationship with food. I know i'm addicted to food. I use it for all sorts of reasons, when i'm happy, sad, angry or just bored. Food has been my friend for many years and my instant reaction in tricky times is to eat. And i'm obsessed with it, just like a heroine addict is obsessed with getting their drugs, I can spend hours planning out a binge, considering the food i' going to buy, the packet of chocolate finger's i'll eat in the car between the super market and home. I'll have a whole conversation in my head justifying my binge ... bet when i'm properly on this diet that goes away, because there is no choice, food is no longer there and i can no longer use it as an excuse to hide behind or wallow in.
What went wrong for me was the realisation that a lot of the things in my life that were **** had nothing to do with my weight, it was actually me. And life didn't become perfect when i lost weight either. Believe me, it was alot better in many different ways, but boys still broke my heart, i still felt insecure, people were still sometimes horrible... and that was a big shock. So i know I ate to put back those layers of fat which keep me protected and give me something to blame. It's something i'd been doing all my life and is a difficult habit to break.
I just hope on here, noonoo, you can see there are many people here who understand how hard it is to be on a diet your whole life, be a food addict and not understand why you feel this way about food. I'm just so glad there are places like this board where we can get support from people who really understand how hard it is.

Keep going ... remember it's a journey not a race. I told myself that when I ate 10 poppadoms yesterday!!!!! xx Julia xx

great post :hug99:

xx sj xx

Back