Detatching yourself from emotional eating?

LizzMB

WILL be Slim!
One of the main reasons for going on this diet was to cut my emotional ties with food!
I used to celebrate with a meal out, commissorate with a take-away, hide behind chocolate and snack when bored!

So what do i do now?

I come on here and i know i have all the emotional support i need!

I now dont do have any of the emotional links with food.....so i thank you all!

Its easy when you know your not alone!

So how many other people have an emotional relationship with food that your killing off with CD?

Its like putting a demon to rest (stealing your words Tillyfloss!)

BLISS!

xxx

I'm really struggling with CD this week, really emotional today, and I think it's because I don't have any support AT ALL. It's making things really hard for me.

So I agree, I think emotional support really can help people get through this and make things easier for people. The notion of emotional eating is exactly what you said, all too often about "celebrating with a meal out, commissorating with a take-away, hiding behind chocolate and snacking when bored" - exactly how it was for me. I'm really going to work hard on getting rid of this notion now, as I'm quite young still I just hope I have the willpower to stick to it for a long time.

Another thing that's dangerous is treating yourself with a snack or chocolate - in fact it worries me that some parents give their children sweets etc as a "treat", because they are putting the idea of emotional eating in their minds, and it makes sweets etc become a "naughty pleasure", and this then translates into adulthood; it should just be put into their heads that its OK to eat sweets but in moderation! (Obviously I'm not a parent and I'm aware it's so so difficult to work out how to get the balance right, it's just an opinion of mine)

So to answer your question, for me CD hasn't got rid of my emotional ties with eating yet - it HAS however, got rid of the notion that I can only have a coke/juice with a meal, and that glasses of water are OK! So I suppose it's got rid of emotional drinking lol... for that I am grateful :)

Sorry you're having a bad day Luci.

It is hard to change habits, like treating yourself. I have been rewarding myself every 7lbs with something small to get into the habit.

I think it takes 28 days of doing something differently for it to become habit. Habits can be broken though. I still get the urge to go for a meal, but I'm starting to realise that's head cravings and I'm not actually thinking 'I've done so well so far, I deserve a break' which I might have previously.

Sorry you're having a bad day Luci.

It is hard to change habits, like treating yourself. I have been rewarding myself every 7lbs with something small to get into the habit.

I think it takes 28 days of doing something differently for it to become habit. Habits can be broken though. I still get the urge to go for a meal, but I'm starting to realise that's head cravings and I'm not actually thinking 'I've done so well so far, I deserve a break' which I might have previously.

Thank you :(

Well done you though, for doing so well. Keep it up and you'll definitely get there :) xx

Lizz- I agree with you completely! CD is helping me with cutting the emotional ties.
I think I'll always be an emotional eater like any adiction, but everybody knows we need food to survive.
I really don't know because I'm not there yet but I don't think I'll manage to just have a little bit of what I like, I think if I start eating biscuits,crisps etc when I'm in maintenence it'll be the start of a slippery slope for me. Think I might copy&paste this so I can read it at a later date!

Just reading that through I realise that I'm hoping to clear my palate also by doing this diet and hopefully I won't want the 'bad' foods that got me to this state in the first place! Off to watch prime-evil and have my bar!

Angela, just thought i would add that all i have craved since going on this diet is VEGETABLES!!! How random! lol
I think now its about trying to see food as FUEL and not FUN, and that will be a hard slog, but one i'm looking forward to now!
As the weight drops off, i'm seeing all the damage i have been doing to my body....glad i noticed it now before too far down the line! :)
xxx

CD is a diet.............not psychotherapy!
Head work needs to be done alongside. IMHO

LizzMB - how weird! Me too! Especially stir fried cabbage. Mad. Haven't craved chocolate once! xx

CD is a diet.............not psychotherapy!
Head work needs to be done alongside. IMHO

Too right! If you don't make the effort to learn from past habits, maintence will be a real struggle. I'm glad I'm doing this diet,well any diet now and not for a specific occasion because if I was slimming down for a certain date I don't think I'd feel quite so motivated about maintenence as i do now. My occasion is the rest of my life! Hopefully i will put weight on in the future (for baby no. 2 sometime) but I really hope that the healthy eating/exercise principles that this diet teaches me will be all I need to get back in shape.

I think is why I am still craving food. Got really emotional today and all I wanted to do was eat.

I WILL BE STRONG!

Back