diabetes

metrognome

is getting better at it
hi everyone, hope your all well

my other half has been told he is diabetic and to cut down on sugar, what is classed as low sugar in a product if that makes sense,
low fat is less than 5% per 100g any idea what it would be for sugar, i have looked on the websites and they all say low gi, to say i am very confused is an understatement.
if i have now confused you then im sorry
thanks

Surely he has been given a load of bunf to read? Or an appt with the diabetic nurse at his surgery? He should be having a followup to make sure he knows what he is doing.

well actually no.
he was diagnosed in september and had to go on a day course 4 days ago, and he has heard nothing in between which i thought was a bit odd he has been given a book to read and told to eat low sugar but what is classed as low sugar.

yes he is being told to control it through diet

Its quite shocking to see how people can be told that they have diabetes which needs to be controlled by diet and then they are more or less abandoned to their own devices to work out how to deal with that!

Here is a link to the Diabetes UK website and their explanation of how the Glycaemic Index is involved. There is also other information there about diabetes that might help. You can also contact them for help and advice about the condition.

Good luck with it all!

I was going to su UK website too but already recommended.

I would be amazed that he was not told sufficiewnt information. From the moment I was diagnosed, firstly with diet-control, then with medication and finally with insulin, there was always enough literature to sink a ship!

Is it possible he either declined/forgot to bring the literature home as that doesn't sound like the Diabetic care and info I have experienced over the past decade.

Anyway, the good news is I have managed to turn things around. Once I took my diet and weightloss seriously, I have found by sugar levels are very good.

I have even been taken off insulin and have been told there is a possibility I may even be taken off medication if things continue - or certainly have it reduced:)

Steve

wow im glad u dont have to take insulin anymore its not great doing it everyday but mines for life just 1 of those things even thou i only weighed 9 stone when found out i had it. i agree doctor and diabetic nurses are usually good i go to doctor and hospital once a year for annual check up and have diabetic nurses number if i ever have a problem i.e. blood sugars not behaving

That's not good. Too little information. You should not have to find out for yourselves. I think a chat with your doctor is in order.

Good luck finding out,

hugs xxxx

Yes get an appointment made with the diabetes nurse and if necessary the dietician too. He will also need regular eye and foot screening.

I am delighted with the support I get and to be honest a lot of friends and colleagues think it is too much support - then again, they do not take their diabetes serious so hardly surprising they think they are being nagged.

I was going to su UK website too but already recommended.

I would be amazed that he was not told sufficiewnt information. From the moment I was diagnosed, firstly with diet-control, then with medication and finally with insulin, there was always enough literature to sink a ship!

Is it possible he either declined/forgot to bring the literature home as that doesn't sound like the Diabetic care and info I have experienced over the past decade.

Anyway, the good news is I have managed to turn things around. Once I took my diet and weightloss seriously, I have found by sugar levels are very good.

I have even been taken off insulin and have been told there is a possibility I may even be taken off medication if things continue - or certainly have it reduced:)

Steve

that is good news for you

he came back from his day course with a book and a little machine to test his blood.
i think by reading the websites its going to be low gi from now on (not that hes reading anything), he seems to be leaving it all to me but that aint going to happen im afraid.
thanks for the help

how often does he have to check blood sugars? what levels does he have to aim for? i was given a good book which tells me how many units of insulin i need for different foods as the more carbs i have bread, potatoes pasta i usually need more insulin

hi,
he has been told to check it every now and again after dinner but not to often as for the other stuff i dont know
thanks

To be honest with you, I would suggest that it might be an idea for you to go along to one of his meetings with the diabetic nurse or at the clinic or wherever so that you can become informed about his condition. If you are both well informed about it then there is less to worry about. My husband has epilepsy and I know the paramedics here are always appreciative of the fact that I can give them plenty of info about his history and medications.

To be honest with you, I would suggest that it might be an idea for you to go along to one of his meetings with the diabetic nurse or at the clinic or wherever so that you can become informed about his condition. If you are both well informed about it then there is less to worry about. My husband has epilepsy and I know the paramedics here are always appreciative of the fact that I can give them plenty of info about his history and medications.

i think i am going to become well informed as i have all the symptoms of being a diabetic according to the book, so wil be going to the docs in the new year to find out for sure

Back