Diet help

Hi, i was just wondering if i could get any help with diet, or diet tips. Preferably low calorie, and whats the best in terms of protein etc all the needed stuff.

I recently bought a treadmill and i hope to use this to help lose weight. Thanks.

ps. i was reading that to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat per day. So i'd need to burn somewhere over a thousand calories a day?

there are various sources that let you know how many calories you need a day to exist. food focus is one and weight loss resources is another i think and there are many out there. it takes into account all the calories your body uses to breathe, move, make your heart beat, everything. so if you eat less calories per day than your body needs to maintain your bodily functions you will lose weight. if you are exercising on top of that you will lose more weight. be careful not to cut down too much though or your body will go into starvation mode. 1200-1300cals a day is the lowest you should go i think unless you are following a specific plan that includes all your nutrients and then the number will drop. someone will be around to correct me if i'm wrong however :D

good luck V.

abz xx

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to sound stupid, because this is all new to me but i'll just ask. So say you need 1200 calories a day to survive, for energy etc, is this calories that don't get turned to fat? Or do you still have to burn them off?

Basically my question is, if you need 1200 calories a day for energy, but you eat 1600 calories a day, do you need to burn off the the whole 1600 calories a day, or the 400 thats left over?

i am 15st 8. my body requires nearly 2500cals to maintain itself, just through existing. so if i eat any less than that i'll lose weight. so if i ate 2700cals i would have to burn off the extra 200 to maintain my weight. if i want to lose 2lbs a week i have to eat just over 1100 cals a day. you have to eat 3000ish less calories than your body requires to lose a lb. so 6000ish less than you would usually a week to lose 2lbs. so my maintaining cals is 2500. 2500 x 7 gives my weekly calories to maintain, = 17500. in order to lose 2lbs a week i have to eat less, or burn, 6000 of those, making my weekly total 11500.

does any of that make sense. the quick answer of course would have been just the 400 that's left over, but your maintaining calories will be higher than you think!!

abz xx

i have just had a look at those numbers and the website has gone wrong somewhere because they don't add up, ha. but the principle is the same :)

abz xx

If you need 1200 for energy and all the nutrients etc your body needs and you actually eat 1600 then youd need to burn off the 400 extra which would bring you back to 1200 you need... if you follow :)

Sorry, scrap that last question. I just came across a website that does a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) conversion. It says that my BMR is around 2000 which means that to maintain my weight i should eat around 2700 calories a day, and to lose weight i should eat about 500 under that.

Am i right in thinking this? Or is just nonsense. Thanks.

Ohh i got replies whilst i typed my last one :D

Thanks, its all making sense now. I was under the impression that everything i ate would have to be burned off... scary thought lol.

I'll need to cut out the alcohol i reckon to help achieve this.

that is right. but i think you'd lose about a lb a week doing that. to lose 2lbs a week it's probably more like 1700 a day i would imagine but am sure somebody will correct me if i'm wrong. if you post your stats, age, height, weight, i can stick it into a couple of calculators for you if you like? but there are loads there on the internet if you search for 'how many cals weight loss' or something like that in google :)

abz xx

Oh i've posted in the wrong section, sorry. Didn't notice the other one. I'll make a new thread there with my next question, thanks.

Yeah, i've found some useful calculators such as the BMI one etc, it asked for my ages, gender, height and weight. They are quite useful :)

and whats the best in terms of protein etc all the needed stuff.

Recommended values for calorie counting are 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat.

WLR will count your calories and let you know how close you are getting to those targets for good health :)

ps. i was reading that to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat per day. So i'd need to burn somewhere over a thousand calories a day?

You will automatically burn 1,100 (at least doing nothing). If you are very overweight, you'll be burning a fair amount more than that.

Add on day to day living, plus any exercise and you'll probably need about 1,800-2,100 approx to maintain.

To get a loss of one pound, you need to eat 3,500 calories less than that (approx 500 calories less a day).

How many you need exactly will depend on what you weigh, age etc.

All very complicated, but most calorie counting sites will work it all out for you.

Back