Difference between almond flavour and extract

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by 3106Catherine, 29 March 2011 Social URL.

1. 3106Catherine

3106Catherine Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(19.55%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Red Days/SP
    Hi, I know in theory what the actual difference is but is there any syn value? I'm assuming not but there's a really nice looking receipe on the SW website which calls for almond essence, well Tesco seems to only have flavour or extract - would it be extract?

Thanks guys

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    They are both free but they are not the same thing
    Extract is just that, natural flavouring extracted from the almond, while essence or flavouring is artificially created. I would always go for the the extract if given the choice.

The only ones you need to avoid are some of the vanilla extracts that come in a syrup form as these include sugar.

4. cherry-pie

cherry-pie Trying again in 2012

Start Weight:
    25st8lb
    Current Weight:
    24st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(4.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'd agree with circles that given the choice go for the extract. If essence is all that is available check that it is OK to heat - I bought a lemon one recently but on the side it says that it is not baking stable, so although its OK for cold puddings if you baked with it the lemon taste would disappear or alter in some way (a bit like the old fashined sweetners before the days of splenda could go bitter or just fade away if you tried to bake with them)

3106Catherine likes this.
  5. 3106Catherine

3106Catherine Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    3st1lb(19.55%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Red Days/SP
    Thank you both

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.