Difference between almond flavour and extract

3106Catherine

Silver Member
Hi, I know in theory what the actual difference is but is there any syn value? I'm assuming not but there's a really nice looking receipe on the SW website which calls for almond essence, well Tesco seems to only have flavour or extract - would it be extract?

Thanks guys

They are both free but they are not the same thing
Extract is just that, natural flavouring extracted from the almond, while essence or flavouring is artificially created. I would always go for the the extract if given the choice.

The only ones you need to avoid are some of the vanilla extracts that come in a syrup form as these include sugar.

I'd agree with circles that given the choice go for the extract. If essence is all that is available check that it is OK to heat - I bought a lemon one recently but on the side it says that it is not baking stable, so although its OK for cold puddings if you baked with it the lemon taste would disappear or alter in some way (a bit like the old fashined sweetners before the days of splenda could go bitter or just fade away if you tried to bake with them)

Thank you both

Back