Digestive biscuits V Digestive biscuits light!!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi all, I'm a bit confused!! I made the key lime pie today from the World of Flavours cookbook! It said to use the light digestive biscuits and on looking up the syn values they are exactly the same as normal digestives (3.5 syns)!! Can anyone explain this atrocity? X

But with the same synnage, what's the incentive in using the lighter version?! They're meant to contain 30% less fat!!! Baaahumbug!! Well the pie LOOKS fab!! It's set in the fridge, but I must keep my paws off until the BBQ tomorrow eve!! Very exciting!! I'm on stage 2 of my rainbow jelly! Orange has set, lemon/lime has gone in, blackcurrant will go in last tomorrow morning!! I'm also making the giant jaffa cake which is equally exciting!! And strawberries & marshmallows on skewers!! I'm going to have to have such miniscule amounts if I want a bit of everything!! And just make all the savoury stuff free!! Doing anything nice this weekend Allie?X

Omg, that all sounds soooo nice! One of the girls in my SW group made the pie without the biscuits, so it was totally syn free and said it was lovely! She's also made it with oranges, as she was out of limes and said it was just as nice, just not as refreshing! I like the idea of the rainbow jelly, I take it you just make layers of it, as it sets, in different flavours? And I thought I was special by adding fruit to mine! Ha ha! :D

I've noticed the same thing with other products and often the syn value is different in the book. At first I put it down to syns on line being more up to date. Then I decided to put the values in the calculator and quite often it was the same as the book. Makes you wonder if syns on line is always right. It is a alifeline though!!lol

Light digestives and normal digestives are the same syn value. When they use less fat in the recipe, they need to replace it with something else (this is usually starch or sugar), and so replaces the calories too.

It's up to you which biscuits to use - I don't think the light ones taste as nice, but I know others who prefer them! It's just a case of low in fat, high in something else, or the normal ones!

Hope that helps a bit....

This pie sounds fab! I like the idea of having the digestive biscuits init tho! Xx

Foods with no free food allowance, like biscuits for instance are worked put from calories only, so are 1 syn for every 20 calories, and Fat content or any other parts of the nutritional information isn't taken into account.

BritMumInCanada said:
Foods with no free food allowance, like biscuits for instance are worked put from calories only, so are 1 syn for every 20 calories, and Fat content or any other parts of the nutritional information isn't taken into account.

Hi Britmum, hope you and the baby are doing well! I'm always tickled when threads I started or posted on ages ago pop up again! Sometimes I sound so stupid! Of course the light digestives are full of sugar to substitute the fat hence why the same synnage! Still a bit cheeky of the manufacturer though to claim that they're 'light' when the cal content is practically the same!!

BritMumInCanada said:

Hi Britmum, hope you and the baby are doing well! I'm always tickled when threads I started or posted on ages and ages ago pop up again! Sometimes I sound so stupid! Of course the light digestives are full of sugar to substitute the fat hence why the same synnage! Still a bit cheeky of the manufacturer though to claim that they're 'light' when the cal content is practically the same!!

McVities Digestive Biscuits have 70 calories per biscuit and their Light ones have 65 calories.

So - less fat (14.4g as compared to 21.3g per 100g), but they have more sugar (20.1g/16.6g per 100g).

You can compare them on the Sainsbury website (I have tried to copy and paste here, but without success).

a bit cheeky of the manufacturer though to claim that they're 'light' when the cal content is practically the same!!

Yeah, like the Tesco wraps - the Healthy Living one has MORE syns than the standard one :confused:

Just goes to show that light doesn't always mean better for you. Always always look at nutritional info and ingredients. Sometimes it can be shocking.

Funcurls - all is good here my little one is 10 weeks today - eeek

Back