Dinner Party

Pink_Peony

Well, I am only a week in to SW and on Saturday we have a few people round for dinner. I don't really want to put them off because this is something that we do often and I don't want SW to mean that we can't if that makes sense!
So, all of the people coming know that I am on SW and are happy to eat as such but I am a little stuck for ideas!
We wouldn't normally have a starter, just nachos and dip so I thought that we can still have that but I will chop some veg etc up for the dieting ladies and do a dip with nat yogurt, mint and cucumber or something. On to the main course, I want to do something nice and tasty and don't want them to go away thinking that because I am on SW their meal was bland.
I will definitely be on a red day, so any ideas? At the moment I have thought about doing steak, a big mixed salad and then on the recipe thread I noticed a recipe for garlic and rosemary pots. I am thinking that by doing this My steak and salad will be free and then I can Hex B and syn the pots if I fancy some. Same goes for if I do peppercorn sauce etc, I can syn it! However, any other ideas would be gladly received :D
For dessert I am going to have a look in the dessert book tonight so in the meantime any recommendations would be great too :D
Thank yoooooou you smashing people! xx

What about chicken breasts stuffed with mozerella and wrapped in bacon, could do with roast veg or something?

How about you do a big pot of bolognaise and have garlic bread with it for the non dieters or a big pot of chillie and rice with pitta breads. If you did want a starter you could have a nice pot of syn free soup, maybe lentil, or pea and ham. You could do an extra easy day and have baby new potatoes with steak and veg, or do lots of tasty wedges along with it. Going ee means you can virtually have anything. It won't be bland you can add any sort of seasoning you want, you could even save your hexb and use olive oil in the cooking. What would you normally do for a desert x

Thank you ladies. Good ideas :)

Sarah - That sounds delicious -thank you

Bettylollypop - I didn't even think about bolognaise or chilli, those are both really good ideas and things that are easy to make tasty too!
For dessert I would normally do trifle or eton mess or something like that. Most people that come to eat tend to like fruit/cream based things. I think there might be a trifle in the desserts book.
I know it sounds silly but I am wary of trying EE because although this isn't the first time that I have ever done SW I feel like I am still getting to grips with the original plan and am worried that EE will throw me off the track - silly I know :)

Thanks again ladies xx

I was going to suggest chicken breasts wrapped in bacon too - although I would maybe use a blue cheese or add some sun dried tomatoes to give a bit of extra taste too. I would think if you're cooking for a few people it would be easier to cook the chicken breasts in the oven than trying to cook the steaks to perfection and still being able to spend time with your guests too.

I usually serve them with roasted veg and new potatoes.

For dessert a pavlova or meringue nests could be good - you could top yours with yoghurt, and the others with cream to keep the sins down - and loads of fresh fruit.

Thank you too Jen!! The chicken does sound lovely, although I am not sure that everyone eats bacon, I would need to check. I might do that on Sunday for me and hubby though :)

The dessert is a fab idea, as I said in my other post, most of those coming love eton mess and things like that so your idea is perfect because I can make theirs with cream and mine with yoghurt.

Does anyone if Quark can be used as a cream replacement with sweetner or am I completely off the mark? ;)

Does anyone if Quark can be used as a cream replacement with sweetner or am I completely off the mark? ;)

It can be - but don't serve it if you want to see your friends again as it's horrible! Ok for savoury things, but not good for a sweet substitute!

It can be - but don't serve it if you want to see your friends again as it's horrible! Ok for savoury things, but not good for a sweet substitute!

Ha ha ha this made me laugh :D Thanks for the warning!!!
I was thinking more for me as an alternative to yoghurt as I seem to be living on Muller Lights so it would have been nice to have a "treat"! Hey ho, needs must and all ;) xx

The other day I had pavlova with Rachel's coconut yoghurt on it, topped with mango & pineapple - It was absolutely delicious and the yoghurt (full-fat i'm afraid) works out at about 3 sins per serving.

Thank you too Jen!! The chicken does sound lovely, although I am not sure that everyone eats bacon, I would need to check. I might do that on Sunday for me and hubby though :)

The dessert is a fab idea, as I said in my other post, most of those coming love eton mess and things like that so your idea is perfect because I can make theirs with cream and mine with yoghurt.

how about low fat fromage frais instead of quark?

I hate quark!

Jen - that's sounds lovely and well worth the syns :D

Rachel - Can you add sweetner to FF to make it more....well....sweeter? Lol xxx

Why don't you replace your cream on top of your desert with total 0%fat free yoghurt mixed with some sweetner, it is absolutley gorgeous and creamy x

Why don't you replace your cream on top of your desert with total 0%fat free yoghurt mixed with some sweetner, it is absolutley gorgeous and creamy x

just reading your post for a cream replacement for your meringues,on xmas day i used total0%greek yoghurt,its free and well worth using imo
hope this is useful
xxx

yes definitely - just dont make the mistake I have before and put too much on, it makes it taste yuk!

Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies!! You are all so full of fab information!!! It is very much appreciated!! xx :p

If your having a red day a dip made by whizzing smoked salmon, quark and lemon juice is really nice and free, if its a bit thick to dip just loosen it with some 0% fat greek yoghurt - I've given it to non-dieters before and they didn't notice.

Good luck with the dinner party.:)

Hi there,

Hello
I have just joined this site and wondered if you'd mind me offering some advice. For your dinner party you could have the poatoes with the steak as an Extra Easy day. That way you may not be tempted with the dessert.
Good luck
Saffycat x:)
Well, I am only a week in to SW and on Saturday we have a few people round for dinner. I don't really want to put them off because this is something that we do often and I don't want SW to mean that we can't if that makes sense!
So, all of the people coming know that I am on SW and are happy to eat as such but I am a little stuck for ideas!
We wouldn't normally have a starter, just nachos and dip so I thought that we can still have that but I will chop some veg etc up for the dieting ladies and do a dip with nat yogurt, mint and cucumber or something. On to the main course, I want to do something nice and tasty and don't want them to go away thinking that because I am on SW their meal was bland.
I will definitely be on a red day, so any ideas? At the moment I have thought about doing steak, a big mixed salad and then on the recipe thread I noticed a recipe for garlic and rosemary pots. I am thinking that by doing this My steak and salad will be free and then I can Hex B and syn the pots if I fancy some. Same goes for if I do peppercorn sauce etc, I can syn it! However, any other ideas would be gladly received :D
For dessert I am going to have a look in the dessert book tonight so in the meantime any recommendations would be great too :D
Thank yoooooou you smashing people! xx

If your having a red day a dip made by whizzing smoked salmon, quark and lemon juice is really nice and free, if its a bit thick to dip just loosen it with some 0% fat greek yoghurt - I've given it to non-dieters before and they didn't notice.

Good luck with the dinner party.:)

Hello
I have just joined this site and wondered if you'd mind me offering some advice. For your dinner party you could have the poatoes with the steak as an Extra Easy day. That way you may not be tempted with the dessert.
Good luck
Saffycat x:)

Cakeyourday - That dip sounds lovely, I am definitely going to give that one a try!

Saffycat - Good idea! I am a little nervous of EE with it only being my first week (well will be my 2nd by then) but worth giving it a try!

Thanks again ladies, you are all stars! xx

Back