Disappointed

I'm a new member here and am absolutely loving the forum, you all seem so supportive, it's great.

I started SW last week and had my first weigh in on Thursday. I was really upset to see I had only lost 1lb. I stuck to the diet 100% and didn't even have the full 15 syns every day because I didn't want or need them.

In the past when I've tried WW (3 times I think but quite a few years ago) I've had a 3-6lb loss on the first weeks and then gone on to a steady 1-2 lb loss most weeks.

I weighed myself at home before I left for SW to get my starting weight and it matched my starting on the SW scales exactly. So on Thursday night when I weighed myself before leaving the scales at home said a 6 lb loss. I was really disappointed when at SW (15 minutes later) 5 of those pounds had gone "back on"

My leader kind of just dismissed it by saying not to weigh myself in between classes which is fair enough, but if I had been just dieting myself at home, that would have been a clear 6 lb loss as I weighed myself at the exact same time on the same day of the week wearing the same clothes.

I guess I'm just a bit worried that SW isn't going to work for me.

Hiya - you have clearly lost weight, and regardless of what the numbers are saying you have had a successful first week! Don't judge it just yet - give it a bit more time, and see if the differences between your scales and your leader's scales change. Well done on your loss :clap:

I'm a new member here and am absolutely loving the forum, you all seem so supportive, it's great.

I started SW last week and had my first weigh in on Thursday. I was really upset to see I had only lost 1lb. I stuck to the diet 100% and didn't even have the full 15 syns every day because I didn't want or need them.

In the past when I've tried WW (3 times I think but quite a few years ago) I've had a 3-6lb loss on the first weeks and then gone on to a steady 1-2 lb loss most weeks.

I weighed myself at home before I left for SW to get my starting weight and it matched my starting on the SW scales exactly. So on Thursday night when I weighed myself before leaving the scales at home said a 6 lb loss. I was really disappointed when at SW (15 minutes later) 5 of those pounds had gone "back on"

My leader kind of just dismissed it by saying not to weigh myself in between classes which is fair enough, but if I had been just dieting myself at home, that would have been a clear 6 lb loss as I weighed myself at the exact same time on the same day of the week wearing the same clothes.

I guess I'm just a bit worried that SW isn't going to work for me.

Hi Feistyblue :)

I can understand your disappointment hun and confusion with the scales, it must be frustrating.

It's just my opinion as I am not following SW but I would say that maybe you could give it a while longer before you decide if SW is right for you or not? I don't believe myself that any weight loss plan can be fully assessed on one week but obviously that's your decision.

I know many of us do not weigh at home anymore as it can be so self defeating when you get 2 different readings in a week. I know it is v.tempting and can be motivational but not when you see different numbers on the scales.

We are all here to support you on whatever plan you decide is best for you so try and stay strong and come on here as much as possible if you feel it helps.

Lacey..xx :)

awww hey im sure you have done just fine! stick at it, in my 3 and 4th week i stayed the same! but i stuck at it and then on 5th week i lost 5 1/2 lbs.
Chin up hun
Ruthy xxx

Thanks for the replies both of you.

I generally won't weigh myself at home, except on weeks where I can't make the weekly meetings which hopefully won't be often. I guess I just wanted to be prepared for what I was going to see.

I will give it another couple of weeks because this weight I have put on is from medication and it really needs to go!

Hiya Feisty Blue,

It is really frustrating! Last week I had a cracking week <my scalles always say same as SW> according to my scales Tuesday Night I had lost 4lb then at class only 2lb....

I was really peed off.... But when O looked back over the 7 weeks, I could see that this is the week where I stayed the same in my cycle, so obviosuly a water thing with me.....

I know loads of goirls that can put on a LOT of fluid weight at certain times could your mysterious gain have been this..... Keep at it!!!!

This plan is not hard and it works!!! At least give your self a month to see how your body fluctuates...

I too am on medication which puts the weight on.... but I also know the only way we get to tak it off again is by losing it the hard way.... so you said yourself you did the plan 100% so had a great week.... this week will be just as good and hopefully a better lose at WI (byt he way we had two new girlsa t class last week, both weighed in with 1lb lost this week! so not just you... but go look in your fridge at a lb of lard!>

Good luck for the coming week
x

Hi feistyblue, congrats on your loss this week, i know it's a lot less than you wanted, but it is still a lb in the right direction. I know how you feel, I stuck to it 100% in my first week and lost 11/2 lb, i thought being the first weigh in it would have been 2 -3lb.

I was really disappointed but stuck with it and the next weigh ins i lost 5lb then another 5 then another 4lb. Give it some time, it may be that your body has just had a bit of a shock and holding onto everything!!

I am terrible with weighing myself, i will weigh in the morning, after i have had something to eat to see how much i have gained and before i go to bed too. I am in my 8th week on SW and have managed to break the cycle (a bit) to be honest it hasn't helped doing it.

It probably doesn't help at the moment and its up to you want you do but i would say just try it for a few more weeks!!

:talk017:
Well done on yr 1lb loss!
Don't get disheartened- You may find that you have a better 2nd or 3rd week-
We had a lady join out group gained weight in the first 3 weeks- she really wanted too leave but we got her too stay- then on the 4th week lossed 13lbs:eek:

As for the scales:sigh: My are always 4lbs off from slimming worlds scales- and boots scales- well i weigh 7lbs heavier- :doh:

Make sure your getting enough fibre & water too...

And as long as the numbers go down- yr doing good:clap:

Thanks everyone you are so supportive, its lovely.

I think I was also irked because my mum joined at the same time as me and she has really struggled, eaten loads and loads more sins than me because she kept messing up with her green and red days and was only coming to me for help when the food was already on her plate!

Anyway, she lost 1 lb too despite everything she ate, bless her.

Hi FeistyBlue

I think you need to throw your scales away and buy a tape measure instead. You will have lost inches!! I only lost 1.5lbs in my 1st week but have been having really good losses since. You will have weeks when you have stuck to it 100% and have still only lost a bit.

I know you said you stuck to it 100% but have you been eating enough free food? We have 2 ladies at our meeting who have slow losses because they don't eat enough free food. They can't seem to accept that you can eat it freely and still loose weight. Some people think if they limit their free food, then they are limiting their calories and by doing so, will lose more weight, but in reality, the body thinks it's starving and withholds fat for energy.

I hope that this helps people who are new to the plan and are worried that you can eat all this food and still loose weight - because you can!

Think everyone has covered all that i would say to you so ill just say hang in there, trust the plan, it will work and keep posting. You cant get better support anywhere.

First of all, well done on your loss....a loss is a loss, however small or large in my opinion! (and so much better than a gain, anyday;)!!)

I have to say, over the many years of going to SW clubs, I have seen lots of dissapointed people, who, on their first week have lost less weight than they would have liked...however like most have said on here, they then went on to have some fantastic losses. I really think we have to look at our losses over a month rather than weekly, especially as us women have weight fluctuations due to water retention etc.

Another thing though, I noticed you said your Mum had lost 1 lb also even though she had eaten lots of free food and eaten all her syns? Don't be fooled into thinking that you can cut back on these and lose weight.....it doesn't work like that. Maybe subconciously you haven't eaten as much as you can......just follow the diet to the letter and you will get results.

Good luck for next week

Sam
xxx

I know you said you stuck to it 100% but have you been eating enough free food? We have 2 ladies at our meeting who have slow losses because they don't eat enough free food. They can't seem to accept that you can eat it freely and still loose weight. Some people think if they limit their free food, then they are limiting their calories and by doing so, will lose more weight, but in reality, the body thinks it's starving and withholds fat for energy.

These comments from SpaceAngel are spot on - the people at our group who always lose are the ones that maximise their free and superfree foods and use all their syns. Our group leader is ALWAYS telling us "you've got to eat it to burn it". After all these years of "dieting = deprivation" i was very sceptical, but over the last few weeks since starting SW i've found it's true!

There were a couple of ladies started at the same time as me and they've been losing 1lb a week, they were very disheartened after the first couple of times and were going to leave. But they they persevered and have now both lost half a stone. They have come to the conclusion that they should have been eating more free foods.

Well done on your 1lb loss, keep to the plan, eat plenty and you can't not lose over time.

Thanks everyone.

Yes I've been eating lots of free and superfree foods, I've even starting eating Muller Lights and I've always been a yogurt hater!

Been eating lots of melon as snacks whenever I'm hungry inbetween meals as I love it and its superfree.

I have been wondering if the fact that I haven't actually had to change my diet habits that much is going to be a problem. Before starting SW I pretty much did green days as my usual diet, as I don't like meat really but love pasta, rice, couscous, potatoes and veg and have always eaten lots of those. I'm a single parent who has always cooked from scratch and doesn't really even use sauces from jars etc.

The only things I've had to change is less biscuits, sweetner in tea instead of sugar, stop drinking fruit juice or squash, wholemeal instead of white bread and no toast in the evenings when I'm watching tv! I think that's why I'm finding it so easy, because green days and healthy eating are what I've always done.

We don't eat junk food, my son has never had nuggets, chips or ready meals so I haven't had to cut any of these things out.

I guess I need to accept that my weight loss will be slower and more gradual because the plan isn't a big change for me as it is for some people.

Back