Disheartened!

Raspberry

I really want to lose some weight as I've always been quite big and I know how much happier I'd be thinner, but it feels so hopeless!
I'm starting uni again this coming September, for the last year I've been promising myself i'll lose weight but I always think 'I'll do it tomorrow!'

My main problem is that I'm living at hoome at the minute, and my folks don't have the best eating habits and theres always temptation. Added to this, I live in a rural area and never EVER make it to a supermarket. My local shops are absolutely awful, the little bit of fruit/veg they have looks like it's been there for about 4 months (you'd think better in the countryside where it all grows really wouldn't you?!)

Added to this I'm really self conscious and have no motivation to get out for walks/jogs etc and no friends who live nearby who I can bribe.

Thats a huge rant, but I had to get it out somewhere!
I really need to sort it out and make an effort, somehow, I'm just not sure how :confused:

Hi Raspberry, Ive just seen where your from.. my family are from welshpool and surrounding areas. Am so jelous your living there...

Anyway back to your post.. Have you tried maybe doing an internet shop from your supermarket to get delievered to your door? That way you can track what you buy, you can order what you want to order and get all the healthy food. :)

On the fitness front, maybe a DVD, or The Wii? Im not a huge fan of traditional gyms, so I have a 'Biggest Loser' DVD an The wii fit, on the days that I can want to go out walking, or that its not the weather for.

I hope ive been able to help in someway x

Hi Raspberry. I was going to suggest the internet idea especially if you have a freezer as a lot of the frozen veg are ok. I'm doing Slimfast which you can check on the separate thread to see if there are any offers and bulk buy when there are (they have a good use by date). I'm presuming you don't have the dosh to do a sole source programme (where they give/deliver all the food you will eat in packs)? Being the parent of a teenager, I would suggest you either offer to do the shopping for the family (faint :) ) or go along to help. That way you can influence what's bought for the larder and your parents will adore you.

For exercise I could be naughty and suggest housework (I'm just hoping my teenager is reading this) or dig out your old VCR, get down the local car boot sale and buy up some exercise vids. Some of them don't need much room at all. Good luck. xx

Raspberry.

I know how hard it is when you live at home and what the parents say goes kind a thing. However, looking on the positive side, when you are at Uni, you will be able to choose the healthy option and buy your fruit and veg. Uni life is not all about take-aways and getting drunk! I've been there and done it! There are also clubs you'll be able to join where you'll be able to motivate each other, even if they are just walking clubs...it doesn't have to be at a gym. I used to do aerobics at uni. Maybe get a dvd and you'll be able to do it with you housemates - it'll be fun. In the meantime get the dvd now and start - you've nothing to loose except pounds!

As for the eating at home, I agree with the others, perhaps an internet shop or have you told your parents how you feel - if not they may surprise you and buy more fruit and veg and it will encourage them as well as you.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on...

xx

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I know once I'm at uni I'll be able to choose things myself, I used to live on healthy stirfries etc and with all the walking it wasn't too bad! I'd just like to get some of the weight off before I go. You know when you feel you'll always be the fat girl even if you lose masses once you're there?! I'm not fancying that!

I did the internet shopping for a while but I don't know what it is, we're never home before 7/7.30pm and its always more of a convenience, whatever is quick for tea. I tried making things of a weekend to freeze but it always seems to drift off.

I've kinda realised that all this is just excuses, even though I genuinely can't seem to change anything! I guess I'll just have to try cut down and make my own eating habits instead of following suit. I've made a massive list of things I want to achieve, and realised I only have 25 weeks to do them, so at the minute fear is motivating me!

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to dig out an exercise dvd and draw all the curtains! =S

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I know once I'm at uni I'll be able to choose things myself, I used to live on healthy stirfries etc and with all the walking it wasn't too bad! I'd just like to get some of the weight off before I go. You know when you feel you'll always be the fat girl even if you lose masses once you're there?! I'm not fancying that!

Oh god, yes :(. I'm going back to Uni in September as well, desperate not to be 'the fat one'! If I lose 2lbs a week, I should reach goal by mid-September, so here's hoping! :) good luck Raspberry and try to motivate yourself for the long walks / exercise etc x

I was the fat one at uni (many years ago now - well 10 anyway). It was ok, until we all went clubbing and I was always the one with nothing to wear and always felt fat and ugly next to my size 0 friends! It's funny you know. Today, I met a guy from Uni who I've not seen in years. I never really liked him back then..always felt he judged me coz I was/am fat. Well anyway we met at a mutual friends house for the afternoon and although he seems happy enough I'm the one married with 2 beautiful kids and he was telling me that although he is in a long term relationship, he doesn't know when he'll get married and he'd love to have kids, but who knows when.. Who's got it better, me or him. I would definitely say me. I may be fat, but I got a hubby who loves me for me and 2 adorable children! It reminds me that size really doesn't matter. Be happy, honest and true to yourself and the rest kinda just happens.

Good luck
xx

Back