Divine EASY Roasted Green Pepper Soup (102 a bowl)

I love this recipe, it's so flavourful from so few ingredients, it's so low in calories and it's so easy to make! However, as I make it differently every time this recipe might be a little roughly written, please feel free to ask questions.
I personally weigh out all of my vegetables every time so I can get the exact caloric value, here I've estimated the peppers to weigh about 200g each, same with the onion, but of course it will be different every time. I've also only really estimated the amount of time in the oven as once your veggies are done it'll be pretty obvious, but of course this requires you to keep an eye on them. Despite all my nebulous instruction, this really is a gorgeous soup! and it makes a great lunch with a wholemeal pitta bread and a nice salad on the side.

4 large green peppers – 120
3 dessertspoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil (you may use any cooking oil) divided - 180
2 stock cubes /2 teaspoons bouillon – this varies, I use bouillon powder at 11 calories a teaspoon
4 large cloves garlic - about 10
1 large rib celery - about 4
1 large onion - 70

Step 1: Preheat your oven to gas 7. Cut your onion into halves, set aside one half, and slice the other into wedges, leave the skin on two of your garlic cloves and place the other two aside, cut your green peppers into halves and remove the stalks, membranes and seeds.

Step 2: Take two roasting tins, rub the skins of your pepper halves with one dessertspoon and one teaspoon of oil and place on the tray, skin facing up. Put these on a high shelf in your oven for about 40 minutes, or until the skins are black.

Step 3: Place another dessertspoon of oil into a smaller tin, this is for your two unpeeled cloves of garlic and your sliced onion, you don’t have to roast your onions and garlic, you can just fry them off in the next step but roast onions and garlic are delightfully sweet and rich, and the contrast of the sharper fried garlic and onions next to the mellower tones create a lovely depth of flavour. If you are going to roast them you’ll want to put them in 20 minutes after your peppers as they’ll cook faster! It doesn't matter if they get a bit black around the edges, but if they do that's when they need to come out.

Step 4: Slice your celery and onions fairly thinly, and mince your garlic. In a large pan or in a soup pot heat the reserved dessertspoon of oil until a piece of onion when dropped in sizzles, and then fry off your veg until soft.
Step 5: Once your peppers, onions and garlic are ready, place your peppers into a bowl and then tightly wrap with clingfilm, wait until they’re completely cool before removing them, as the peppers cool down they steam off their blackened skins, they should just peel easily off. Chop your roasted peppers, peel your garlic cloves and add your roasted veg to the soup pot. Make your stock up to 800mls and add to the pot. Simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes, or if your celery still has a bit of bite then simmer it until it’s quite soft. Blend, and serve!

If you feel like the soup is a bit thick, you can add a little bit more water at a time until you reach your desired consistency (or a bit of milk for creaminess if you don't mind the added calories). If you like to add herbs, then feel free to add any you prefer, if I feel like the soup is a bit lacking a crack of pepper, some salt, and a bit of lemon juice will liven it up, or some dried herbs; oregano and basil, or a little dash of coriander are also complimentary.
This should serve 4, at about 102 calories each! If you prefer a thinner soup obviously it’ll go further, 5 servings are about 80 cals each, or if you manage to stretch it between 6 it’s only a measly 68 calories! Enjoy :D

Back