Do I go for this job??

Caz

Repeat Offender
Hey guys,

I've got a kind of interview this afternoon. Well, a meet the family. It's a nannying position for a family whose youngest baby is in hospital and so they're hiring someone as it's hard to balance the children, work and hospital. Thing is, it's looking after 5 kids! 5 kids ages 18 months to 8 years. I mean, I can do it, but I know it would be hard work. And they're only paying £6 per hour "or more depending". The thing is, £6ph doesn't seem like very much for a nanny job anyway, but nanny for 5 young kids?? But then, it's a job, and I don't feel like I can turn down a job. But it's a 25 mile drive to their house which takes about 50 minutes, so 50 mile round trip, for £6ph to look after 5 kids.

I'm not sure whether I should just go for it. Or go for it but say that to look after 5 children I'd need more than £6ph. Or maybe say I'd take £6ph, but could they cover travel expenses too. Not sure what the hours are like, have sent her an email asking. If it's just for a couple of hours each morning then it's not really worth the drive and petrol.

But 5 kids?! Sheesh. Not sure what I've let myself in for here!

x

Gosh, rather you than me! I think £6 per hour sounds a bit cheap actually with all those children - especially as they are so young. Is it just for the holidays? I guess you could ask for a higher hourly rate if you have experience of nannying or ask for them to cover all travel expenses if you don't. Don't forget that you'll need to be paying NI cover for your pension/benefits even if you don't earn enough to pay tax.

Good luck - when you meet the family and children you'll probably get a feel as to whether it's right for you or not:)

There might be a bonus there though - all that running around 5 children would certainly keep you exercising and losing weight, LOL.

To be honest, and I'm coming from a teaching point of view, I think £6 ph is nowhere near enough for 5 children. Are the wanting an experienced nanny? How long would it be for and what exactly would they expect you to do for that price? If the children were in a holiday/after school club they would need to pay about £15 per child, per day! It depends if they want nannying or cheap babysitting- sorry to sound a bit negative- a job is a job after all, but looking after kids in the holidays is a lot of hard work and should have a wage that reflects that. I suggest you have a look at the kind of prices the local kids/holiday clubs charge to give you an idea xx

I would say that is well underpriced, my childminder charges £5 per hour for my 2. (£3 for 1st and £2 for sibling), with 5 kids I would want £100 an hour ! Also because of the difference in age ranges you will be having to occupy them all with different activities. If you take them to the park or anything it will be hard to manage.

I would ask for at least £10 an hour !

There might be a bonus there though - all that running around 5 children would certainly keep you exercising and losing weight, LOL.

Yup, exactly! I thought that, much better than an office job!!

To be honest, and I'm coming from a teaching point of view, I think £6 ph is nowhere near enough for 5 children. Are the wanting an experienced nanny? How long would it be for and what exactly would they expect you to do for that price? If the children were in a holiday/after school club they would need to pay about £15 per child, per day! It depends if they want nannying or cheap babysitting- sorry to sound a bit negative- a job is a job after all, but looking after kids in the holidays is a lot of hard work and should have a wage that reflects that. I suggest you have a look at the kind of prices the local kids/holiday clubs charge to give you an idea xx

No, I know exactly what you mean, and that's my thinking. £6ph for one kid, fair enough, but for 5, that's ridiculous to be honest. It didn't specify experienced, but I have a fair bit of experience. I don't know how long it's for, asked that in an email this morning but no reply yet. Basically I'd have to look after them, entertain them and clean up any mess they make. I think I'm going to go and meet them but explain that for 5 children, £6 per hour just isn't enough.

I would say that is well underpriced, my childminder charges £5 per hour for my 2. (£3 for 1st and £2 for sibling), with 5 kids I would want £100 an hour ! Also because of the difference in age ranges you will be having to occupy them all with different activities. If you take them to the park or anything it will be hard to manage.

I would ask for at least £10 an hour !

I was thinking £10 per hour would be more acceptable to me. I'm going to see what the hours are like and make my decision based upon that I think.

Well interview wasn't meant to be til 5. But I emailed her and asked what the hours were and explained that if it was just a couple of hours, at £6ph it's not worth a 25 mile drive there, and 25 back. She just emailed me back and said that she was looking for someone to do 2-3 hours each morning, so it's really not worth my while, so I've left it. To be honest I got a really odd feeling about it anyway, like something just wasn't right.

Yup, exactly. I had found their details online on gumtree, so I have no idea whether I could trust them. Never met them. Spoken via email. Didn't have a phone number. Said she couldn't call me as the house would be too noisy. So yeah... I don't know, just didn't feel right. It's not like I'd have been going to an office, would be their house. So didn't feel right. Just need to find a job now! And soon!! :-s

good move i think you have to be qualified to be left in sole charge of 5 cildren and there are regulations on ages to, mothers help isnt as strict, i was a mothers help for 4 children when i was 18 twins under 2 a 3yr and 4yr old, i was paid £70 a week and used to work about 50hrs a week,it was crap money, that is 14yrs ago mind, god i didnt realise i was getting old lol xxx

Back