Do Ketostix work?

Rocky Road

Hello all. I have ordered ketostix as I read they can tell a person when ketosis has been achieved from ketones in a sample. Has anyone used them to say if they actually work. I think it will be good to know when I'm in ketosis but I'm not sure if ketostix are a waste of money.

Rocky Road said:
Hello all. I have ordered ketostix as I read they can tell a person when ketosis has been achieved from ketones in a sample. Has anyone used them to say if they actually work. I think it will be good to know when I'm in ketosis but I'm not sure if ketostix are a waste of money.

Apparently they are notoriously unreliable! Aslong as you follow the plan you will get into ketosis :) the stix can be effected by allsorts of things, and most people deem them A waste of money! Sorry

I use them and they always turn pick for me however for some people they never turn pink. I'm usually in ketosis within 48 hours which is fab. I think there is a link to some more info about ketostix in the FAQs sticky, or so I seem to recall.

I'd say they're a waste of money. They're incredibly unreliable. If you stick to the plan you'll be in ketosis. So long as you don't cone off plan you'll stay in ketosis. Simple as that. If you're not in ketosis there's nothing you can do to speed the process up. The number of people on Minimins who get stressed because these stupid sticks give a negative reading is ridiculous.

Boots refuse to sell them to people on a VLCD. A great policy IMO ;)

Thanks for the info and opinions folks. I think then as I've ordered them I'll have a bash but not place any importance on the result and just trust the plan. At least if they don't turn colour for me I know that they can be unreliable so not worry about it.

Starlight said:
Boots refuse to sell them to people on a VLCD. A great policy IMO ;)
I didn't know they were that unreliable :s

Rocky Road - as you've already bought them you may as well try them. I've used them before and they did work for me especially if i used them first thing, mine would go reddy purple because of the concentration of ketones but once i drank loads of water during the day they would go a very light pink. They helped put my mind at ease especially during the first couple of weeks when i was new to vlcds but now that I'm a pro at vlcds :D I can tell by my breath and odd taste in my mouth. Almost like a cross between fruit and nail varnish remover!!! Not sure how many u bought but you probably won't need to use them often as you'll learn to recognise ketosis.

Also, as the others have mentioned, if the sticks don't go pink it DOES NOT mean that you're not in ketosis.

Thanks skinny sia. Well they have gone pink so that is good I guess. To start with it was neutral then after 2 days it was light pink then today it has gone 2 shades of pink darker so I am pleased. It seems to have taken 2 days to get into ketosis. I was particularly pleased to see that the colour was darker today after a bad incident with Jacobs crackers last night but luckily it does not seem to have done too much damage on this occasion.

I think they do work. For me they do, but I'm now able to tell without knowing with a stick. One thing tho...you are in. You are in. It's better for the ketostix to be lighter. The darker they are, the more concentrated the ketones, so you need to up the water to flush them out.

Allblue said:
I think they do work. For me they do, but I'm now able to tell without knowing with a stick. One thing tho...you are in. You are in. It's better for the ketostix to be lighter. The darker they are, the more concentrated the ketones, so you need to up the water to flush them out.

Thanks hun. I'll to get more fluid on board x

They wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they were that much of a waste of time, surely?

They're not a waste of time, for diabetics who are producing ketones in their urine they're potentially a lifesaver. Ketostix are a diagnostic aid not a dieting one.

For dieters obsessed with ticking a box to tell them they're feeling how they're already feeling - potential waste of time. That's why Boots etc won't sell to you if you're not diabetic.

Boots have no problem selling atkins products though do they?! :-/. I do buy the sticks and they do work for me also. But I don't really know why I buy them. Maybe it just subconsciously keeps me on track to know I'm burning my extra tummy rolls! As people say, if you stick to your vlcd plan then you will be in ketosis so you dont really need them.

Back