Do people treat you differently because of your weight?

I've never been treated differently, apart from the obvious if your arguing with someone they bring out the fat card as a insult lol

While I agree most of it is in the mind, I have to say that it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I myself had a terrible experience when I was in my teens when I applied for a job in a clothing store and the manager LAUGHED me out of her office saying "You can't even fit into our clothes, how do you plan on selling them?". It broke my confidence and it was a year before I was brave enough to apply for work again. I also had problems at school with a couple of teachers talking to me as if I was slow. It was very soul destroying.

Plus..... hands up! Who has been ignored by the opposite sex for your skinnier friends?

I myself had a terrible experience when I was in my teens when I applied for a job in a clothing store and the manager LAUGHED me out of her office saying "You can't even fit into our clothes, how do you plan on selling them?".

Plus..... hands up! Who has been ignored by the opposite sex for your skinnier friends?

That's bloody awful :( I don't get how some people can be so rude and hurtful. And anyway, i find it so off putting in New Look or Top Shop where the girls on the till look like models or something, i would much prefer to be served by a normal looking woman! I always avoid the make up counter in department stores for the same reason!!

Yeh i've been ignored for my skinnier friends by men, its just something i take as a given now, ive never been the most attractive one out of my friends so now it doesnt bother me so much cos im used to it. Although now it means i cant actually believe there is anyone on earth that could possibley find me attractive, but i guess thats just cos throughout my teenage years i was always the minging one!

that's changing slowly but surely tho!! :D:D

I don't think they treat me differently because I'm bigger. But I know I react differently! If I'm feeling self concious about something at the time, I'll be thinking everyone else is noticing it, and that what they're doing must be because of it. Mostly though, I'm pretty sure it's just in my head.

I guess I'm lucky in that I haven't had some one be as blatantly rude as a few of you though! Some people are just horrible!

Yeah I think they do TBH. Fat people still face huge discrimination, like ....thick, fat and lazy, fat slob, fat and smelly etc .... I dont get how its still a big issue cos now soo many people are 'big' its so common yet people still stare, snigger ect grrrrr Lol

That's bloody awful :( I don't get how some people can be so rude and hurtful. And anyway, i find it so off putting in New Look or Top Shop where the girls on the till look like models or something, i would much prefer to be served by a normal looking woman! I always avoid the make up counter in department stores for the same reason!!

Yeh i've been ignored for my skinnier friends by men, its just something i take as a given now, ive never been the most attractive one out of my friends so now it doesnt bother me so much cos im used to it. Although now it means i cant actually believe there is anyone on earth that could possibley find me attractive, but i guess thats just cos throughout my teenage years i was always the minging one!

that's changing slowly but surely tho!! :D:D

Ahh, QueenMaude, that's awful.

I had a good experience once when I was a student at uni...my housemates (at this time) were all thin girls so I always felt big even when I was only a size 14! Anyway, one evening one of my housemates wanted to go to the union and no-one else did - I ended up going with...to cut a very long story short, we walked into the union, and I got all the attention and she got none! It was the first time it happened. I had a whale of a time and she didn't. I think I went in that evening having had a good day and nothing was going to bother me. I must have been full of confidence or something and it must have shown....I still remember that night now....I guess it's not all about the size we are, but the confidence we give out. I guess it just goes to show being skinny/fat/thin whatever doesn't matter it's how we see ourselves that helps and counts.

Good luck and keep losing.
xx

I just found this thread.
I think some very ignorant and unpleasant people might treat you differently.

I think it's wrong though. You know what I feel Aimée.

I don't think people treat me differently however I know I am more cautious of peoples first impressions of me.

I have noticed a lot more men checking me out.. so I guess that's treating me differently? lol. I'm not sure but it's better than nobody ever looking at you, even if it makes my man jealous lol. A little jealousy is kind of cute sometimes anyway.

I was quite disgusted by myself at work this week. There was a rather large woman eating with her husband, she must've been easily 350-400 pounds. And they seemed to be having a nice time, having dinner and what not. But I couldn't help but look at her, and think 'obviously she's sat in the couch, not the chair', and 'obviously she's having cake', and 'how is she dating a man who is so thin'? And then I realised I was thinking all those things and couldn't believe myself. I'm sure people must've have thought the same of me at some point, even if I was never that big. I was really shocked! But to be fair, everyone was looking at her, and she looked slightly uncomfortable so I'm sure she knew and she is kind of used to it. But still, how awful am I?! Ugh!

Yes society does treat fat people differently. We are one of the few fair game targets still left for quick and easy insults and discrimintion.

Fat people can and do get written off by others, some employers for example who will automatically equate being overweight with being lazy and undisciplined.

Yeah, i also see the difference coz of my weight, hopefully my coinfedence will change n it will change

Back