Do you count calories too?

yes i do.. i was told by the doc when i got my tablets not to go over 1200kcals so i always stay under that..not too much under though

I really wouldn't advise have your calories so low, especially as low as 900-1100. Apart from the fact that our bodies need a minimum of 1200 calories just to function ( that's breathing etc and no exercise), if your calories are too low just now, then you'll have nothing to cut back on further down your weight loss journey. Personally, when I started the tabs I concerned myself with counting fat grams, and fat grams only. I have no idea what my calorie intake was, but I still lost and I was heavier than both of you. Now I purely count calories as I feel that I'm at that stage in my journey where its more important for me to concentrate on this ( even though I still eat food that for the most part is 5% fat or less...few things higher, but not many)
Have a look on myfitnesspal.com, its free to join, fill out your stats and it will give you an accurate guide of what your calorie intake should be, I think you'll both be surprised.
Oh and if my dr, who knew nothing about how to take Xenical, and what diet I should follow told me to have 1200 calories a day, I'd nod politely and ignore lol
x

lol... i did think it was very low but him being a doc and me not i obviously took his word.. i did my fitness pal a few weeks ago (godsend that place) and that told me i need 1350 which with what you have said i will start using that number instead of the number the doc gave me.. cheers for the info hun

Your welcome :)
Generally when my Dr tells me how to take something, I do what she says, but so many Drs seem to be unaware of what we actually need to do while on Xenical, it's really shocking :eek:

Thanks alibablibee

I dont know how i am going to up my calories as at the moment i am eating comfortabley but if i eat more then it would be just for the sake of it iykwim. Hmmm will have to have a look at the foods.

On my fitness pal which i have been using as a food diary it says i need 1600 + cals a day :eek:

I am also only managing about 18 - 20 g fat a day too. :rolleyes:

Dont worry so much about the amount of fat that your having, you can have a virtually fat free diet on Xenical. Although Xenical works by getting rid of the fat you eat, it also works to stop people cheating and eating what they shouldnt (thats how it works for me anyway! lol)

But as Ali said, its very important that you eat no less than 1200 cals a day. Your body goes into starvation mode and will store all your excess fat rather than burning it. Your body thinks its not being fed properly so will keep hold of everything it can. My Dr told me to have no less than 1000 cals a day. But i wasn't losing much weight, about 1lb a week with a couple of weeks at .5lb. When i bumped it to between 1200-1500 i was losing 3-4lbs a week. Also, its worth remembering that Dr's can't know everything, thats why we have dieticians. And also, as Ali said, what on earth are you going to be eating when you need to reduce your calories? As you lose weight, you'll need to reduce your cals but an 8st woman and a 20 stone woman will still need a min of 1200 cals to survive.

Also, i would suggest that if your new to the tablets, stick to counting the fat. Then as your weight loss tapers off then add the cals too. I just did fat and found i was eating about 900 cals and wasnt losing much because i didnt realise how little i was eating in desperation to not have side effects! lol So when i spoke to the Dr, she said a min of 1000 was fine, but still wasnt losing enough, but since upping to 1200-1500 i have been doing well.

I am calorie counting cause thats how I started out, I have lost all of my weight doing this but went through a plateau so decided to take the tablets as well as calorie counting :) and it seems to be shifting again! I agree, I would really try to eat 1200 calories a day to keep your metabolism going and stop your body holding onto fat :)

Can you not bump up your calories with "healthy ones" like fruit, I was quite surprised that bananas are about 130 calories each.

I calorie count with the help of myfitnesspal. I do find it a bit hit and miss though but a good general guideline. Specially as I know how many calories I'm burning with my exercise :)

Hi, I don't religiously count calories but if I'm hungry during the day and havn't used my daily fat allowance (I plan main meals a day in advance) I'll work out how calories I've had and will be having , and count for snacks if needed.

Back