do you feel comfortable at your meeting?

ammixx

Only joined a week ago - first weigh in was Weds and I had an appointment so couldn't stay. Consultant is great. I chose the Weds 4pm group as last week 'I had to join this minute!!!' - so joined one a bit away from my village for the time of 4pm. The time will work for me as I work from home so can avoid the mad busy evening ones. I'm not posh - I grew up in rank poverty in the 4pm meeting location - but I am educated so don't say 'thee n tha' n have a fairly posh job but I dress down in leggings n a scruff top .. So ... I join - I m a bit shy n all so I don't say much, apart from to big up a teenage lad next to me with his mum - he has some tiny learning disability so when his mum explained why he gained (hospital treatments etc) I turned to him and said - well I think you are just great for coming every week do you enjoy it? n he smiled and said yes its good. I sensed a tense wave from the group - you know, bit of a clique, all mates etc. No effort to say hi welcome from anyone. I want to lose a stone but dress to cover the worst of it, I accept others might think why is she here? This week, chat with consultant then queued up to weigh in the line. I could feel eyes on me. I turned round and there was just this icy blanking face from the clique. The weighing woman is a stern faced old trout. The scale read same as last week but she insisted I gained 1/2 lb as it had flashed briefly before the scale settled at 10 1lb, last week s weight. I didn't comment. But she had a smug look as if to say 'I ll pull you down a peg or two, madam'. that's the vibe in that part of town. if it carries on, I ll move to another group. But I honestly felt if I d stayed to class there would have been no effort to join me in or be friendly. I might be new member but I know a vibe when I sense it. Anyone else had issues? xx

If the scales say so then it's right.. It shows up on the tablet in front of them detailing your current weight, difference from last time you weighed and total weight difference since starting..
You can ask to see their screen if you don't believe it..
If you think she has written it down wrong ( or last weeks was written down wrong ) then it might be worth a call / txt to your consultant asking what your weights were this week and last.

You don't fall into this category from what I read above but if you are over the 20st bracket then due to the design of the scales it doesn't show half pounds.. The first digit on the scale is 1 so anything over 20 shifts all the numbers to the right to display it..

If the scales say so then it's right.. It shows up on the tablet in front of them detailing your current weight, difference from last time you weighed and total weight difference since starting..
You can ask to see their screen if you don't believe it..
If you think she has written it down wrong ( or last weeks was written down wrong ) then it might be worth a call / txt to your consultant asking what your weights were this week and last.

You don't fall into this category from what I read above but if you are over the 20st bracket then due to the design of the scales it doesn't show half pounds.. The first digit on the scale is 1 so anything over 20 shifts all the numbers to the right to display it..
Hi thanks for your reply Col. I didn't see a tablet in use - she asked for my book - I stood on the scale and the reading showed on a black thing standing on the desk, facing me, not a tablet. It flashed 10 st then briefly 10 1 1/2 and settled on 10st 1lb. Not bothered about the 1/2 lb, it was the smug gob on her which annoyed me. :(

I'm sorry to hear your not getting on well with group! I had a similar issue with the very first group I joined - it will take some time to settle in and I know from experience that half the time the consultant doesn't have any idea and the other half is that the women don't always see how their coming across! Maybe talk to the consultant first and see what reception you get and if that doesn't make any difference possibly try another group? The group I joined on Monday has a clique but its going to happen being I came on my own. End of the day I just think I'm not there to please them, I'm there to make myself healthier and happier. Hope you get it sorted I know its not nice when you feel that way xx

I'm sorry to hear your not getting on well with group! I had a similar issue with the very first group I joined - it will take some time to settle in and I know from experience that half the time the consultant doesn't have any idea and the other half is that the women don't always see how their coming across! Maybe talk to the consultant first and see what reception you get and if that doesn't make any difference possibly try another group? The group I joined on Monday has a clique but its going to happen being I came on my own. End of the day I just think I'm not there to please them, I'm there to make myself healthier and happier. Hope you get it sorted I know its not nice when you feel that way xx
what a grounded attitude - not there to please them, there for your own journey - am going to apply that to my own situation :) Thank you xx am gonna skip W I today as I have massive work commitments but will give it one more go next week and if no more comfortable I will seek another meeting. Although I have to be honest, I could pay to do it online as the books are bit out of date any way and don't get updated with latest things plus the camaraderie here is great :) Thanks for your advice and good luck with your journey :) xx

the half pound could be down to so many things as well. Type of clothing you wore if slightly heavier, time of the month, ovulating, retaining water for any number of reasons, heavy meal night before. Don't lose heart - weight loss is a journey of ups and downs I have found.

I hope you find a solution whether its sticking with the group, moving to a new one or doing it online or even on your own.

There must be a tablet.. They can't weigh you without it..
Do they have your card off you to weigh in? It's the bit that plugs into or the but that's attached to the bit that plugs into..
If they aren't using a PDA or tablet then I'd report them to head office..

what a grounded attitude - not there to please them, there for your own journey - am going to apply that to my own situation :) Thank you xx am gonna skip W I today as I have massive work commitments but will give it one more go next week and if no more comfortable I will seek another meeting. Although I have to be honest, I could pay to do it online as the books are bit out of date any way and don't get updated with latest things plus the camaraderie here is great :) Thanks for your advice and good luck with your journey :) xx

No need to thank me hun that's what we're here for! Good for you hun give it another go and if still no good then def find a different group I promise their not all like that! I had a letter through the post today from my consultant - it was such a personal touch makes me more excited to go back to group next week. Good luck to you too babe and remember I'm always here if you need to rant or anything! Xx

I went to a group like this were if you moved the chairs they would moan don't sit here because we sit here an so on I changed group an that was with friends, I think if you go on your own the consultant asks the group to make you feel welcome an feel free to ask for any advice I try to always say hello to new people an have a chat as I do the shop at my group.

An as @ColJack said your weight is logged on a tablet that the card reader an scales are attached to it brings up your name your weight your loss an you awards if you reach them.

Maybe next week say hi to some of the others everyone's there for the same reason so I can gaurntee you will all have something in common good luck hope you find the right group for you

Back