Do you find that people see it as a challenge to lure you off the SW diet?

So really a diet or plan isn't at all about food on the plate it's about what in our head, other ppls head, confidence to say no, wanting to say no. Realizing some ppl even ones we love are not supportive have there own motives, all this just over what we fuel our body with. Powerful stuff is food

I have a work colleague who constantly tries to wind me up/tempt me with bad food and drink. He sits there opening chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc commenting all the time about how nice it is and waving it in my face. He has failed several diets and I think he's trying to make me do the same. Because I know he's going to do that I plan my meals for work, I take healthy alternatives with me so if he starts I'll have one of them, eg Hifi bars (using my HE's) this way I stay on track. I also save my syns for work so that if he does gets to me I can afford to have something a little naughty.

I think my friends did to start with. I think it shocked them how well I was sticking to the plan. However, they don't now.

I think this is due to a variety of reasons. I've been following the plan side August 2011, although my weight is going up and down a few lbs I had lost over 9 stone at one point (now just under). Just like it has taken me a long time to accept what I've achieved, I think it has taken them a long time to accept it. My friends are nothing but supportive and encouraging now. I think it took them a while to realise this is for good. Whilst I had to adapt to the changes in me physically and mentally, so did they... Confidence, personality etc.

In short I think it takes awhile for people who have known you a long time to accept a big change in your life, because its a big change in theirs too in some bizarre way.

Give people time and it all sinks in!

Yes i get the same as soon as i say i am trying again they offer me cakes n sweets !

One friend said when i lost a few stone oh well you will put it all back on again .... Took 4 years and an illness to re gain
But i think to myself at least i am trying good luck all

I don't find my friends or family are trying to 'sabotage', if anything it's more of 'come on one won't hurt' cos they don't understand it a healthy living choice and my choice to decide when and what I want to 'treat' myself to within plan. I do think its all down to lack of understanding about how SW works, and many if my friends have actually felt inspired by me and wanted to cook my ideas I share on Instagram and take up running which I post 4 times a week on Facebook. I seek to inspire, it's all health for me rather than a 'fat' competition lol.

I think my friends did to start with. I think it shocked them how well I was sticking to the plan. However, they don't now.

I think this is due to a variety of reasons. I've been following the plan side August 2011, although my weight is going up and down a few lbs I had lost over 9 stone at one point (now just under). Just like it has taken me a long time to accept what I've achieved, I think it has taken them a long time to accept it. My friends are nothing but supportive and encouraging now. I think it took them a while to realise this is for good. Whilst I had to adapt to the changes in me physically and mentally, so did they... Confidence, personality etc.

In short I think it takes awhile for people who have known you a long time to accept a big change in your life, because its a big change in theirs too in some bizarre way.

Give people time and it all sinks in!

Very well said, I think you hit the nail on the head and I totally agree with what you said about it taking a while for everyone (including ourselves) to accept the new lifestyle change. Once they see that it's a permanent change and how serious you are about it I can imagine most peoples friends would turn round and accept it and maybe even embrace it if they wanted to try something similar.

Yes i get the same as soon as i say i am trying again they offer me cakes n sweets !

One friend said when i lost a few stone oh well you will put it all back on again .... Took 4 years and an illness to re gain
But i think to myself at least i am trying good luck all

I've had people like that in my life (usually my dad of all people) who often say things like 'Well done for losing the weight, you must have been a real fatty before!' and 'I'm sure you'll put it all on again at some point'. I have to say that I use them as a motivation to push myself even harder in my weight loss. I've always found it hard to understand why some people are just always negative and unsupportive... Me personally, if a friend or colleague is attempting something I'll always support them and give them the encouragement they deserve for attempting it in the first place.

I think the dynamics of some friendships can change with a healthy eating plan. I have a good friend who is a drinking buddy (and a skinny one at that)! So we probably won't see much of each other at the moment. Sounds a bit shallow doesn't it but we don't actually have much in common when sober!
My Mr is a big eater and drinker but he's in the Army and is also incredibly fit with a metabolic rate on a par with the speed of light. My biggest issue is having to hold back when he's having a proper feast. Xxx

Yes and then there's the friends who like a fat friend. I don't know about lads but woman are awful for this.
Work colleagues used to be worst ppl for this I thought. they didn't actually care about you but loved to see you fail or give in.
I'm single but I see on here how unsupportive ppls partners can be and I take my hat off to those doing this having to cook different meals and partners wanting to go out and take aways. I can cocoon myself

I'm very very lucky with my family. My mums even put up a none food treat for my 3 stone target.

i bet some lads are jealous like this too lol we all know some *****y woman though and mostly it's just jealousy and fear that they won't be the only thin one anymore.

Im lucky my boyfriend will eat what I cook but he is a bugger for getting take aways. Most of the time I can resist but it is a little insensitive. X

Totally agree with this. I am so sick of people looking at me eating my lunch and giving me really unhelpful 'advice' about how maybe I should try a smaller portion or have this or that instead. I want to scream "who's the one that's lost a stone and a half here!!!" The funny thing is it's usually people who are always failing on 'diets' that try and give the advice...

I sometimes find that people are 'supportive' in the opposite way as well though. One of my work friends will go and get a biscuit and then say 'don't worry, I won't try and tempt you with one' then proceeds to put the packet away. What if I want one?!?!? I know she's trying to be nice though.

As for sabotaging, then, yes, I do have friends like that and I'm quite sure it is jealousy (although I hope that doesn't make me sound big headed!). The phrases "go on, one won't hurt" or "you've got to allow yourself a treat sometimes" come to mind.

Hate it when people who can never stick to a diet for longer than a month give you advice! I know a woman who lost her weight with a gastric band and hasn't a clue how to healthy eat (she asked me last week if FISH was healthy?!) comes ad says to me that grapes are fattening, and gravy is bad for you (even though I only make mine with bisto granules and water :/) feel like saying to her p***off I've lost nearly 6 stone on my own thank you and ive eaten grapes and gravy!!!

get sick of people questioning what I have for lunch every day at work too! I know most of the time it's cos they're interested as it looks nice but sometimes you just get bloody sick of talking about it. I've been doing this over a year and it just wears thin. Leave me to eat my lunch I don't sit and stare at yours. X

Just wait, you haven't got to the "Don't go losing too much, you'll look haggard" remark yet!:)

Back