Do you keep it a secret.....?

To start with, only my hubby, MIL (she's on SW too so I went to her for advice) and my parents knew. I just didn't want the extra pressure. Now everyone knows!
And what I do when I'm eating a chocolate bar and someone says "you can't have that" is I bang on about SW and Syn values and they soon wish they hadn't said anything haha!!
No one says anything now, apart from saying how slim I look :D

I've never kept it a secret from anyone. This is a fairly small town, and most of us know each other, and to be honest, I'd say I personally know at least 20% of my group since I was a child lol
I find that if I have that bit of added pressure, as you said, it keeps me going.

My OH is great, and cooks me a lot of SW meals, as I can't be @rsed half the time with all the prep haha.
My Mum started in my group last week, and I just don't see her sticking to it, which is a pity as she does need to lose weight. She just leads such a busy life, and with my elderly gran, and downs syndrome uncle living with her, she just never gets a minute to herself.

Hi

I tell people if they ask. My work are supportive as most of them are on or have been on SW. My OH is good with it too :). The only person that makes me upset about it is my house mate,I have known him years. He saw me eating a SW full breakfast 'how's that healthy,, then I had an omelotte after gym at 9pm 'carbs after 6 tut'. Also he is adement that SW is crap and doesn't work 'I've told him its not a diet it's a lifestyle change, his response was 'it's a diet because you are trying to lose weight'. He just keeps telling to to eat healthy, in moderation and go to gym. To me that's exactly what I'm doing!
Ooh and I said 'if it doesn't work, how are people losing 5st, 10st and 20st. He said gastric bypasses.

In that case see you in operating theatres with about £10,000 girls and boys!

Lisa xxx
Ahh that's awful. I hate know it alls! I've lost 4st 2.5lbs plus an extra 9lb before I joined slimming world so 4st 11.5lbs and I certainly haven't had a gastric bypass! And I agree, slimming world is a healthy life style plan. Weigh watchers people have heathy fry ups too so they're even good calorie wise, not just slimming world wise.

Oh and doesn't he know eggs are protein, not carbs. So give him that one next time he tells you off for eating an omelette :)
I've never kept it a secret from anyone. This is a fairly small town, and most of us know each other, and to be honest, I'd say I personally know at least 20% of my group since I was a child lol
I find that if I have that bit of added pressure, as you said, it keeps me going.

My OH is great, and cooks me a lot of SW meals, as I can't be @rsed half the time with all the prep haha.
My Mum started in my group last week, and I just don't see her sticking to it, which is a pity as she does need to lose weight. She just leads such a busy life, and with my elderly gran, and downs syndrome uncle living with her, she just never gets a minute to herself.

Its a shame isn't it. My mam is planning to join next week but is a shift worker and only will get to go every fortnight rather than weekly. Plus she's a terrible picker, and I can't see her sticking to it BUT she might prove me wrong. I have proved I can do it so she might go the same way as me x

I've never kept SW a secret, I think people get bored of me banging on about it so much :p but its done me nothing but good and if it can help others like it has with me, it can only be a good thing!

I started my healthy eating (hate the 'diet' word) in jan 2011, i think it was about early march and people in work were coming up to me and asking if i was on a diet. i kept saying no, and i'd probably lost some due to that cold / stomach bug i had etc.etc.

it was around april 2011 when i got back from a week off work, even more people were asking and i knew i couldn't keep it a secret any longer, so i decided to tell the truth, i was trying to lose weight. the majority of people were made up for me and thought i was doing amazing.

i've noticed now it doesn't get mentioned much unless someone new starts work for us, then it'll be brought up into conversation somehow, and someone will ask me to show off my 'before and after photos'.

i think keeping it a seret for me was a good thing, because i know people would have put preasure on me to lose weight and i would have snapped, i had to do this on my own, untill i was confident enough to tell the truth.

I hadn't made a huge point of telling people, although wasn't a secret, except my close family and friends. But when I won class miss slinky I was so happy I put it on Facebook and ended up with close to 100 likes, and lovely comments from people I wouldn't of expected!

My friends have been great too and help where they can. We were having a night in and my friend had bought crisps etc but made me a wee separate fruit salad and chick pasta.

Ahh that's awful. I hate know it alls! I've lost 4st 2.5lbs plus an extra 9lb before I joined slimming world so 4st 11.5lbs and I certainly haven't had a gastric bypass! And I agree, slimming world is a healthy life style plan. Weigh watchers people have heathy fry ups too so they're even good calorie wise, not just slimming world wise.

Oh and doesn't he know eggs are protein, not carbs. So give him that one next time he tells you off for eating an omelette :)

Haha I know. It's just everyone else supports me. Just the 1 person that I live with doesn't. Good luck with your journey :) xxx

I've only told some people as I don't want people judging what I'm eating every day and commenting either. My friend who knows I'm following came over the other night with Haagen Daaz ice cream even though she knew I was doing a SW meal!

I've always been quite honest about it previously but I've failed so many times before it just got embarrassing. This time if anyone asks I just say I'm trying to be more healthy, no one needs to know any more than that! :)

My answer is exactly this as well! My mum knows and my Husband and anyone else who asks I just say "i'm trying to be a little more healthy that's all" that way if i'm having a Syned packed of Crisps at work or a curly wurly no one bats an eye lid haha!

Its to hard to keep it a secret here almost every woman in our town is at SW so everyone sees everyone.
I love my group and my consultant is fantastic xx

I've been quite open about it mainly because it's the first proper diet I've done that I've actually lost weight doing and Im really proud of myself. My Mum is the worst for commenting though. She has always been in the 9st size 10 bracket and when I started SW I always got comments about the fact I could eat carbs and "how can my healthy all bran be syns when you're big bowl of pasta is free?" and she forever asked me how many syns she's eaten that day. Now that I weigh less than her she's started to try to get me to eat crap. Last night she wanted chocolate but would only have one if I did. And the other night I said how much I enjoy cooking because I like feeding people to which she commented "you feed people but don't feed yourself" to which I replied when was the last time I cooked dinner and didn't eat it!? She seems to think I have some kind of eating disorder just because my diet was successful and I weigh 2lbs less than her!? It's frustrating as however much people are happy for you (and she is) women especially get very competitive and jealous when others lose weight.

I've been quite open about it mainly because it's the first proper diet I've done that I've actually lost weight doing and Im really proud of myself. My Mum is the worst for commenting though. She has always been in the 9st size 10 bracket and when I started SW I always got comments about the fact I could eat carbs and "how can my healthy all bran be syns when you're big bowl of pasta is free?" and she forever asked me how many syns she's eaten that day. Now that I weigh less than her she's started to try to get me to eat crap. Last night she wanted chocolate but would only have one if I did. And the other night I said how much I enjoy cooking because I like feeding people to which she commented "you feed people but don't feed yourself" to which I replied when was the last time I cooked dinner and didn't eat it!? She seems to think I have some kind of eating disorder just because my diet was successful and I weigh 2lbs less than her!? It's frustrating as however much people are happy for you (and she is) women especially get very competitive and jealous when others lose weight.

My mums like that except she is more then half a stone lighter then me. But she's commented loads on how I don't eat properly ect.

I tell some people but not others. My boyfriend is doing it too so we talk about it together. If my mum sees me cooking slimming world chips I get 'the look' but I have given up explaining the plan to her. I don't post about it on Facebook as a lot of people I don't see regular and it's a test when I see them. If they mention it I know it's working rather than the fact that they know I'm doing slimming world and feel obliged to say something, if that makes sense?

I don't keep it secret but I don't broadcast it in Facebook or anything like that. People I spend time around all know because I'm always checking things in my book for syns and meal ideas lol.

I think it's really hard when people scoff at the plan you are doing or act unsupportive when you are trying to make a positive step. I do have a friend who makes remarks when I try to make SW puddings or anything like that ("did you make that cake out of talcum powder and wallpaper paste" aka sweetener and beaten egg instead of flour and sugar) she is on a diet as well at the moment but says she would rather not bother than eat 'fake' cakes. Which is fine, she needs to diet how she feels it will work but it does annoy me on occasion when I feel proud for having synned iced gems and not a slab of dairy milk (my ultimate weakness) and she makes a comment.

Hers seems to be working for her and mine is working for me so I just let it all go over my head. The competitive person in me so wants to lose more than her (pleas dont think I'm a nasty cow) but that only serves as motivation for me!

I told my closest friends, my OH was one of those people at the time, the guy I was seeing back then joined with me. Generally I tell people if they ask rather than offering it up, but when I first joined someone from work was there, I’ve since changed groups due to moving home but get copied in to all the round robin slimming world emails, so there’ll be more people that know than I think know, if that makes sense? I’m not massively vocal about it, especially as I’ve been wobbling a bit lately, but if anyone asks me I’ll tell them yes I am losing weight, and that I’ve been doing slimming world. I didn’t mention it to my family at first, as they have naturally awesome metabolisms and always ate the same as me but stayed thin, and even after they knew it was a bit of a fight to get them to stop with the ‘just one won’t hurt’ remarks.

I would never deny it or refuse to say as I’m grateful for what SW has done for my life so far, I just aren’t the sort of person to upload all my meals and my losses to Facebook every week! (No judging if you are, do what makes you happy! ;) )

its been great reading everyones stories! i started on 27 dec last year and ive lost 4 and a bit stone, im now a slinky size 8 and feel great!
i tried to keep SW a secret except my really close friends and the other half and my mum. but what does my head in is those people who know keep telling everyone who comments on my weight loss by saying 'oh she did it on SW', like ive cheated or something! it really gets my back up, i feel like they think ive failed because ive been guided by a diet! its so stupid. i say to them please dont be telling everyone but its like they have to justify my weight loss!
im now at target and maintaining, and feel great but its started with the 'oh uve lost too much, blah blah blah', and thats frustrating too! im eating healthy and exercising and they seem to frown up on it! im not sure if its jealously but its very annoying! wish they would leave me alone!
H xx

Losing 4 stone is a great achievement and shouldn't be frowned upon no matter how you managed to lose the weight! Well done for getting there!! Maybe they mention it because they are proud of you, if they wasn't they would change the subject when it comes up.

I keep it a secret. I told one sister at the beginning and the rest of my family about 8 months in. It was nice to lose weight without people obsessing about what I was eating. I needed to be able to restructure my eating without worrying that other people would think i was 'failing my diet'-- so if I had a chocolate bar at work (planned in, deserved, enjoyed) it didn't have any external baggage.

Nearly Five stone lighter now and it's not so much of an issue, but this is an indicator of how much I have changed. If I started again I would be a secret keeper, too...

Do what is right for you. xx

I wasn't going to tell people but my Mum comes with me and is so proud of my achievements tells everyone lol.
I haven't said anything at work and on FB I only post to our Slimming World group.

Back