Do you think you can eat too many eggs?

philly_x

I REALLY love eggs, ideally i'd love to have eggs in some way or form, for breakfast every day!

However, my mum has started suggesting that I shouldnt eat too many eggs, because it can give you high cholesterol?

I'm not sure if thats accurate or not, but im young and healthy (apart from being overweight on BMI), so im not sure if this high cholesterol buisness applys to me if it even is the case???

Would like to hear what everyone thinks! x

Tell your mother not to worry because the most recent medical research has shown no link between eggs and high cholesterol. So don't let that put you off eating them. That said, I do think it's possible to eat too much of any food and depending on how many you are eating you might want to think about introducing more variety into your diet.

i love eggs and they keep u full for so long go for it

http://www.minimins.com/

This is taken from the foods standard agency.

Is it true that eggs contain cholesterol? And how many eggs can I eat each week?

Eggs do contain a type of cholesterol found in many foods, called dietary cholesterol. Eggs, liver, kidneys and prawns are higher in dietary cholesterol than other foods.

But the cholesterol we get from our food has much less effect on the level of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat.

If you are eating a balanced diet, you don't need to cut down on eggs (or kidneys and prawns), unless your GP or dietitian has advised you to do this

I keep it in the back of my mind that they can cause constipation so I don't have too many.

thanks for all the great responses! I'm really happy to hear all the positive stuff about eggs! The maximum amount I'd have a day would be 4...and that would be if I had a 3 egg omlette (or scrambled eggs), and then if I was to have a sandwich with egg in later on (which would be unlikley if id had eggs for breakie!).

Glad I can feel guilt free about them now :) xxx

I eat lots of eggs and don't suffer with constipation. Tuck in, but make sure you eat a varied diet.

thanks for all the great responses! I'm really happy to hear all the positive stuff about eggs! The maximum amount I'd have a day would be 4...and that would be if I had a 3 egg omlette (or scrambled eggs), and then if I was to have a sandwich with egg in later on (which would be unlikley if id had eggs for breakie!).

Glad I can feel guilt free about them now :) xxx

I went through a phase of eating 1 or 2 eggs a day and just for doing it a week I really noticed the consitpation issue, so I reduced how many I was having and doing eggs on alternative days, so I would suggest you try and vary your days of eggs like have 2 one day and none the next or have one a day or something like that :)

Obviously have as many as you like, but I like to know my motions will happen to help with weight loss hee hee

How many eggs would you say you eat a week, just out of interest?

Well I prob have 4-6 but I make sure I dont have them everyday otherwise it really cloggs me up ...ewwww :)

I love eggs so I had to work away round it, but if I say have 2 on sat and 2 on sunday I feel the effect very quickly so i have say 2 on a sat, then another 2-3 on different days during the week.

I have an egg everyday, for brekkie, and I don't have any blockage problems! :)

I know that an older SW book recommended no more than 10 a week for health reasons but that is no longer the case - i think the rules on cholesterol have changed a bit

I have an egg everyday, for brekkie, and I don't have any blockage problems! :)

I so wish I didnt have any blockages hee hee

I have a problem with constipation with boiled eggs! I also think everything should be moderation and having variety is also important when losing weight on SW!

I have eggs whenever I feel like it, and don't have any ill effects. Some people have problems with them - it depends on the individual.

The cholesterol issue has been explained in BrightonRosie's very useful posting above.

It has been known for years that there is not a link between cholesterol in foods and high cholesterol in people, but it has taken ages for this to filter down to the general public, and many people still believe it. And you still see foods marketed as low in cholesterol (especially American foods) although this is totally irrelevant.

How many eggs would you say you eat a week, just out of interest?

I dont know to be honest! I had a 3 egg omlette for breakfast today, and i'll probably have another 3 egg omlette through out the week (when I have time), and i'll probably use a boiled egg or 2 for a sandwich? Guess thats it? But that can vary, sometimes I forget about them for ages!

and also, I dont think I've had any constipation problems before. I guess if I was I would know about it??

Has anyone noticed today on the SW website there is now a receipe competition for eggs!! and a little blurb about how they arent bad for you. Might have to get on that competition!! :) x

Back