Do you use all your syns??

Im just started back to sw there last week so this will be my first weigh-in this year i have gone over my syns at the weekend but i try to use about 10 syns a day. altho if anyone has any good ideas for reali low syn snacks id be grateful to you if ud share x

Hey yeah in east belfast i live in work x

I try to use 10-15 a day. I just read an article on the SW website which says that the more free food you eat the less likely you are to use your syns...but I've always been told by consultants to use at least 10-15 & never go without them....!?

I tend to use under 5 a day,then have a treat/naughty meal/good drink at weekend. I don't see the point in eating something if I don't want it just to use up syns or am I mad? Lol

Linzi

I tend to use under 5 a day,then have a treat/naughty meal/good drink at weekend. I don't see the point in eating something if I don't want it just to use up syns or am I mad? Lol

Linzi

Nope that's right! I think a motto of SW is don't eat if you don't want to or if you're full.

4 days in and I have been having about 5 syns a day- I have between 70-100 a week avaliable.
I have small some malteasers (19g) , snack a jacks or a curly whurly per day as a treat. I am trying not to have any other syns at other times.

I think you should use all your sysns if it keeps you on the SW diet plan but I want to lose my weight in a short time period so the less the better I think.

Hope this works for you but have to say:
1) SW is not supposed to be a get slim quick diet - its a lifetime healthy eating plan - where you learn how to eat healthy plus some treats FOREVER not just till you get to target!
2) From personal experience, the less you eat on SW (inc syns) the less i've lost (or STS)
3) If you start off on very low syns, if your body stops loosing at some (happens to 99% at some in their sw journey) you won't be able to reduce your syns to kick start your body again (5 syns a day is the MINIMUM sw say to eat!)

Each to their own, but hope it doesn't come back to bite you!

Last edited:
I think you should use all your sysns if it keeps you on the SW diet plan but I want to lose my weight in a short time period so the less the better I think.

When I first started SW I hit a major blip fairly quickly & told my consultant I wasn't using my syns as I thought that if I didn't eat them I'd lose the weight quicker, she said that absolutely won't work. She said you need them, maybe not all, but at least 5 a day.

I agree with c you ahuld use ur sybs as ur depriving ur body of bad food x

I agree with c you ahuld use ur sybs as ur depriving ur body of bad food x

There is absolutely nothing wrong with depriving your body of bad foods. Your body would welcome that. Depriving yourself which may cause you to fall off the wagon is a different matter. I often use my syns on healthy foods such as nuts, avocado and olives.

Brightonrosie said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with depriving your body of bad foods. Your body would welcome that. Depriving yourself which may cause you to fall off the wagon is a different matter. I often use my syns on healthy foods such as nuts, avocado and olives.

Agree with this. The bad food is processed and man made. Which is the reason we get overweight in the first place. It's nice to use syns on nuts, oats, etc as they're natural foods which are good for the body. Although sometimes it's hard to resist the temptation of the chocolate :p

Just hit 30 syns already today :-( for those of u that use 70 syns a week-i have used that since my wi on tues - if i use NO more syns till next wi cud i b ok ? Can u use ur 70 syns in one nite out r must u split them between 7 days ? Star weej so have given into cravin for choc plus found out not pregnant so double need for choc yesterday and today :-(

febbabe said:
Just hit 30 syns already today :-( for those of u that use 70 syns a week-i have used that since my wi on tues - if i use NO more syns till next wi cud i b ok ? Can u use ur 70 syns in one nite out r must u split them between 7 days ? Star weej so have given into cravin for choc plus found out not pregnant so double need for choc yesterday and today :-(

You may want an answer from a more experienced sw'er you my consultant always told us it was ok to use syns over a weekly period instead of day to day.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, now is more of a time than ever to get your head into the diet: your baby will thank you for it! :)

Was tryin for baby and was hopin to b this week but NO :-( thats why i want to lose weight so a healthy pregnancy.another month to lose weight before tryin again

I have done this diet a few times.

The first time I used about 5 syns a day just for mayo and gravy etc and lost about 3-4 stone in 5-6 months..

The second time I didn't use any syns, and although I lost 5 stone in 5 months..within a year i had put it all back on. Because I wasn't truly following the diet.. without syns you are not giving yourself an opportunity to experiment with different recipes and a chance to make it into a lifestyle. There are times in life where you need to syn..whether that's a kit kat a day or a birthday meal/night out.

I think that if you don't use them, Yes your weight loss will be quicker..but No you won't stick to it.

If you feel deprived I don't think you will stick to it long term and therefore won't be able to maintain when reaching a target. Slimming world is about making sure you can stick to it without too much difficulty and allowing that flexibility that everyday life requires :D

Ruth x

febbabe said:
Was tryin for baby and was hopin to b this week but NO :-( thats why i want to lose weight so a healthy pregnancy.another month to lose weight before tryin again

I'm sorry hun I read your post wrong. Sorry to hear you are not pregnant. Still, this is the time to buck your ideas up. Good luck xx

Omg all that weight in 20weeks Lucia Lucia!! How have you done it? Have you done loads of exercise?xx

Hey so for all you big losers (I mean that in the nicest possible way :) ) did any of you have excess skin after you lost all the weight?? Also did it take you ages to lose it round your middle? I've notice it everywhere bar my stomach and that where I want to lose it the most!!! Grrrr

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hey so for all you big losers (I mean that in the nicest possible way :) ) did any of you have excess skin after you lost all the weight?? Also did it take you ages to lose it round your middle? I've notice it everywhere bar my stomach and that where I want to lose it the most!!! Grrrr

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

This has been noted by a few people, particularly me. I took my bust/waist/hips measurement aswell as my wait when I started so on those days when I think my stomach is getting bigger I measure myself and am assured that it's not :D

Back