DOCTORS SIGNATURE

As a cdc i hadnt heard about this new ruling until yesterday when another local cdc said she had two ladies, both on low dose blood pressure tablets have their GP's refuse to sign their MRF saying a new law was passed 4 weeks ago preventing them from signing such things. She phoned Hq and we are waiting to hear back about this as we didnt know anything about it via Hq or otherwise. Will let you know when we get a response.

Lynjo.

I'm really confused now! Is your colleague saying that there is a new law stating that GPs must not sign MRFs???

well have had form signed, no probs, doc had never even heard of vlcd, he did my blood pressure and all so i am all fine, so i called my cdc and it appears he 'forgot to give me the form to sign' it was the same form i filled in when i started.
he did say its coz i am bmi 40+, but said he had no concerns about me as i look so well????
anyway, its signed, so that should please him now!!
thanks everyone for your thoughts
nat xx

Well, it's good that the panic is over lol - glad it all went well for you.

xx

Im not sure what this means as we are still waiting to hear from HQ. Dont know whether to start worrying or not. This may not be good for cd if they dont!!! Will keep you posted though.

I certainly hope it is not the case - how mad would that be? Patients' charter and all that!

I have heard of GPs refusing to sign MRFs because it's 'against' their group practice policy, but that's just a cop-out IMHO (maybe to flog more pharmaceuticals??? Or am I being too cynical?)

xxxx

I'm a CDC too and like Lynjo had a client about 4-6 weeks ago who needed his doc's signature as his BMI was 50+. His GP told him the same thing, i.e. they (the practise) had been told by some ruling body that under no circumstances were GP's to sign forms for any weight loss programmes or even Gym memberships unless they were being specifically prescribed by the GP on the NHS. The client spoke with the GP and practise manager at length about this and his wish to lose weight and although they sypathised with him, they said their hands were tied because of this ruling. I brought this up with Lisa at the time and she just said she'd never heard about it. Since then I've had a couple of clients have their forms signed with no problems (different GP surgery). As you say if this is the case then this could have a serious impact.

Lyn

Hi,

I was told by a local nurse that the local PCT had sent out a letter to all GP's surgeries advising them not to sign forms for LL but there was no mention of CD.

I have not had any problems at all with the local GP's and I must refer 2 or more patients a week to their GP.

Under the changes in the NICE guidelines I would think this should not be a problem.

Linda

This is rich, the Bloody NHS are complaining that they are having to fork out money for all overweight patients, and that "They are a strain on the NHS" and now they are saying that patients have to have diets on the NHS!! What a load of Bull Crap this has made me really angry.

Fair enough if like my GPs they have a policy of a Weight Loss Clinic for all patients over a BMI of 30+ and they run this clinic three times a year as the fiscal calendar, but I still go to my clinic and am weighed, its good for the self confidence and if I have any queries I can get a prompt appointment the next day.

But this new ruling is so blasted stupid, if indeed they are telling the truth. There is always another way round this, he could get himself referred to a Hospital Dietician, most of them agree and believe in CD and then the GP would have no other option than to sign the form, as then it is being monitored usually 6 monthly, or he could move practices?

Sorry to go off on one, but I have to say that the only people who make money out of the NHS are the Managers the grass roots people don't make a penny.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Back