Does anyone else calorie count

Hmm.. I agree with what others say, I trust the plan!
You obviously can't lose weight without reducing calories and fat.. but I am always way to scared to do a calorie check as in my head it would be about 4,000! I know this is not the case, but we're eating regularly, and foods that make us feel fuller for longer.
Food combining especially (doing red/green days) also makes a difference. It's the way your body processes the food!
i.e. I eat a lot of soup on SW (which makes me feel full for longer and of course consume less calories).
I could eat a lot of soup, say on WW or cabbage soup diet, but the weight loss would not be the same as psychologically I would feel restricted (as to what I could eat) and be much more likely to binge.

This is just my personal opinion of course, but the fact that I am 'allowed' to eat so much food (that I like!) on slimming world, makes me consume a *lot* less.

Elaine x

Im sure calories do have something to do with it however having lost 7 stone (which was all I had to lose back then :-((( ) on the Atkins diet I know that the way your body metabolises the food is actually more important - and I think we are all different in that respect which is why there are all those thin people who eat truckloads!!

I think it is more important to try to find a way of doing SW that works for you. I do have 1/3 superfree every meal and only one of each HE. Some days I use all my syns, some days I use none - but I no longer eat anything for the sake of it!. I try to think 'what do I fancy eating' and make it SW friendly - whereas before I would eat 4 mullerlights a day -because I could- but I dont actually like fruit flavoured yoghurt and only ever eat it when Im 'on a diet'

Please excuse my ramblings - it all made perfect sense in my head!

I haven't counted calories, but as a result of this thread I've counted them for yesterday and I think I only had around 900 calories... the soup I have everyday which is homemade comes in at 50 calories per serving....

Hope it's not too late to revive this thread lol! It made me panic because if I follow the plan and satisfy my appetite with free foods, I'm hitting around 2000 calories a day, lots more than others on this thread. My net calories after exercise will be less but I still struggle to believe I can lose weight like this. I have 3stone to lose (post pregnancy weight) and I started sw 10 days ago after losing 5 lbs on slimfast

Hope it's not too late to revive this thread lol! It made me panic because if I follow the plan and satisfy my appetite with free foods, I'm hitting around 2000 calories a day, lots more than others on this thread. My net calories after exercise will be less but I still struggle to believe I can lose weight like this. I have 3stone to lose (post pregnancy weight) and I started sw 10 days ago after losing 5 lbs on slimfast

Just trust the plan x

I used to calorie count, about 20 years ago and I was thoroughly miserable - I would even measure out 20 cals worth of milk into my coffee. I kick myself for all that wasted time and frustration. As long as you stick to the plan, it will work. Good Luck xxx

My trouble is that the plan is meant to work by naturally lowering your calorie intake by filling you up on low energy density free foods. But my calorie intake isn't low enough! I checked the calorie count for a coupla days on the sw free 7 day plan from their website and they came out at around 1300 calories plus 200 for syns. I'm coming out at closer to 2000 because I'm greedy and always want more food. For example, a couple of days this week:
All bran 42g (hexb)

Like others have said, I don't strictly count calories but I am aware of them. I stick to the SW way of doing thinks, but when choosing free foods I'll check their calorific content before deciding what to have

Years of calorie counting (look how successful that was, haha!) have left me with an insane need to mentally calculate everything I eat. So, I know pretty much how many calories I eat on any given day. However, I follow SW to the letter and don't let the calories influence what I eat.. I just happen to know how many my food contains. My average daily intake is 1400 but there are days when it is 1200 and days when it is 1800. I just eat until I am satisfied and mock my inner calorie counter!
Slimming World is a breath of fresh air :D

Sorry pressed post by mistake!
My food diary:
Breakfast
All bran 42g (hexb)
Skimmed Milk 350ml (hexa)
Banana
Lunch
Creamy mushroom and tomato pasta (sw recipe but with added tuna and a big serving)
Half a melon
Dinner
Chicken tikka masala sw recipe
Rice
Muller light
Blueberries
Snacks
Sw super speed soup
Alpen light bar (3 syns)
Turkey Slices
Banana
Petit Filous little dessert (4.5 syns)
Go ahead yoghurt break (7 syns)
Total 2040 calories (minus exercise credit)

Another example:
Breakfast
Fried egg
Quorn sausage (1 syn)
3 lean bacon rashers
Baked beans
Toast (half a hexb)
Lunch
Stuffed peppers sw recipe
Cheese (hexa)
Dinner
Lean beef
Spinach
Sw chips
Cherries
2 muller light
Snacks
Banana
Grapes
Ham
Ryvita (half a hexb)
Quark
Apple
Apple Betty sw recipe (4 syns)
Total 2020 calories (no exercise today)

I know I'm eating loads but it's all allowed on the plan- so how can I lose weight this way? How come I'm having so much more than others who posted on this thread?

Sadowska, I'm wondering if you're eating enough superfree. Remember that on extra easy, a third of your plate needs to be superfree veg. This is another way that the slimming world plan helps lower calories. The plan does work even if you have a hearty appetite (like me!), I promise!

Well apart from breakfast on the second day all the meals had 1/3 super free (eg tomato and mushroom in the pasta, fruit as dessert). I suppose what I'm asking is, does anyone eat as many calories as this and still lose weight?

I probably do yeah. I can pack away 4/500 just on fruit. Erm I dont count that much but I have massive meals and often 4 a day and I snack on like rice a lot. This week I've had barely any calories and got an unexpected gain but usually my losses are awesome

ohh :/ lol what book do you have? i have the orange food optimising one with a heart shaped orange on the front. xXx

You're not having enough superfree with your meals,you need 1/3 superfree with EVERY meal.
you should be filling up on the superfree at mealtimes-not pushing it in as a dessert or snacks. Also try and go for superfree foods as snacks as a 1st choice.

And only eat until your satisfied-not stuffed,that is the most important sw rule! Try eating half your meal then stop for 10minutes and if you're still genuinely hungry then by all means eat the rest but only if you're not satisfied.
Xx

Ok maybe I don't get it - I thought I was eating 1/3 super free. Eg the pasta was with mushroom and tomato, the tikka masala was made with tomato (ok pushing it!) and I had spinach with the beef and chips. Does it count if I have a side salad with my meal, eg spaghetti carbonara sw recipe tonight with some cucumber and tomatoes on the side? Plus a serving of super speed soup as a starter?
Anyone with daily calorie counts as high as mine?
Would I be better to try original and green days as these seem to be more restrictive?

Back