Does anyone else find slimming world expensive?

There's lots of threads about budget meals, have you included the money spent on takeaway, shop sarnies, chocolate bars, lattes etc? A few people here reckon they spend less than before, I spend about the same. But I was never a big takeaway fan, I don't eat chocolate often but my sandwich bill is now nil!

Yeah that's true actually. Feeling a bit negative today have weigh in tonight so hopefully I've lost which will spur me on thanks for the advice. How long have you been doing it and what plan do you follow?

I must admit I find it very expensive living as a single person food optimising. Often means I eat 'samey' foods throughout the week -always got my eye out for offers! :)

Wow I'm the opposite - I cook for one but have loads of different foods and meals as I don't have to consider anyone else's taste. I also cook in batches and freeze portions so they are like ready meals for when I want a quick option.

I feel like I'm always shopping for food but hubby and I look over the past few months food spend and we have reduced from £700+ to £500+ so we are spending less. I put this down to the takeaways and processed/treat foods we would buy before... yuk!

I'm eating a lot more veggi food, lentils & pulses which are cheap and make nice currys, I shop at the market for fruit and veg which having been a bit of a food snob for many years I am finding that the quality is better than the shops...also the meat van off the market has been an eye opener, good thick bacon without any water in it at a reasonable price and a bit of banter thrown in for nothing...I actually look forward to going shopping now!!!!

I spend alot more on fresh food and alot of time cooking, but for me it doesn't matter as losing weight balances it out. My oh won't eat sw meals so u do my own shopping and cook my meals. If I'm on a red day I will buy a pack of mince and use half for burgers and half for mince and onion pie ( filo pastry as syns) I buy sausages for breakfast ANC then a couple days after can have sausage and mash for tea. It's things like this that keep my costs down a bit but I still spend a small fortune! X

My groceries are roughly £200 a week :eek: so yes I find the whole thing quite expensive! I am buying so much fruit & veg now that I wouldn't have bought so much of before!

I have just got back from Tesco and at this time of day therre are bargins to be had! Bananas- still greenish just 59p for a bunch, bag of brussels 13p, lamb steaks £2.50. Aldi super 6 at 69p each fruit and veg are always good too.
Another idea would be to have a veg box delivered. A basic box is about £13 which says it is for 2 people for a week but has loads of stuff in it. Always fresh and different things each week.

I invested in a food saver (vacuum packer) a few months ago and it's been a godsend since starting back on SW ! This week I cooked and froze 6 portions each of chicken tikka masala, bolognese sauce, shepards pie, single bags of cooked rice and pasta and a basic tomato and basil sauce. I try and buy the more expensive things like meat when it's on offer, then cook up a big batch of one or two dishes (eg. a chilli and a bolognese when minced meat's going cheap). They only take a few minutes to re-heat and they're a lot cheaper (and tastier ;) ) than ready meals. Plus, I save on energy as i only need to cook once for 5 or 6 portions :)

xx

My groceries are roughly £200 a week :eek: so yes I find the whole thing quite expensive! I am buying so much fruit & veg now that I wouldn't have bought so much of before!

I spend £130 a week but I feed a vege family of 6 and I think that this is expensive. I do my best to keep the bill down but these little people just don't stop eating lol!
I tend to make a lot of currys/ bologneise/chille etc...things I can survive on while the family have more calorific meals.

I spend £130 a week but I feed a vege family of 6 and I think that this is expensive. I do my best to keep the bill down but these little people just don't stop eating lol!
I tend to make a lot of currys/ bologneise/chille etc...things I can survive on while the family have more calorific meals.

Yeah i'm a family of 6 too and yes my children eat me out of house and home too.... even the 8 month old lol

Vanilla, lol, I know that feeling. My youngest is 1 and she doesn't stop eating! I think if I wasn't so careful with the shopping my bill would easily rocket up.

I can keep shopping bill to around £100 per week for family of 3. I only do green days so 1 pk quorn mince will make chilli which will make 3/4 portions . Lentil spaghetti bol which will make 4 portions. OH & DD don't eat a huge amount of meat but do love chilli or pasta dishes. We eat good wholesome food & the money I save from not buying crisps/choc etc etc is amazing so def cheaper for us & Im losing weight into the bargain :)

My bill for food is tiny! I think it's because I cook a lot and rarely buy processed food, like mug shots. My exceptions to this are quorn products and fat free yogurts. I get fruit and veggies from veg box scheme, buy bulk rice, couscous, pasta etc, use lots of pulses that are cheap. Bread is local bakers small wholemeal sliced, tastier and bigger weight for weight than supermarket diet breads. And lidl supplies me with baked beans and passata etc. I cook in batches, freeze/refridgerate portions for later. I also alter leftovers to make different meals, like the other day my leftover veggie chilli was baked in the oven, with an egg cracked into it and a HEA topping of cheese. Mmmmmmm. I think the key to being cheap is to vigourously plan your meals, so you use the items you buy more than once.

I do green days

Back