Does anyone else go to meetings on their own?

I didn't really know anyone when I started going either, but I'd echo the suggestion of volunteering for the social team - it really helps you to get to know people!

And just talk to people, ask if they mind if you sit near them, that sort of thing!! Most people are very welcoming!

I've found that since going to group I strike up conversations with strangers in queues and such a lot more now..
I used to keep myself to myself, but I guess my confidence is growing..

im now a consultant and i have a buddy system in group, which works really well, i not talking about becomming bestie buddies but it does help

ive only been going to class 4 weeks...

to be honest i hate going alone but i have no choice, cant do it alone and need to lose weight so i just try and go near end of weigh in, so i dont have to wait to long for meetings to start.

I go to group alone but already feel after 11 weeks as "part of the group" - I've never missed so that helps and I'm a good mixer anyway.

Or as my mother used to say, I was vaccinated by a gramophone needle!! - a little harsh methinks.

One thing I did notice was a few people started group with a friend, then after a week or two they dropout. This was done for "moral-support" I later found out.

I go alone but don't stay after weigh in. Find it ok and feel confident enough to be weighed in leggings and black cami vest. Only place I could do it though. We are all there for the same reason!!!
Good luck
Julie x

I didn't know a soul when I joined my group. I was new to the area too. I'm quite a confident person, but it took a few weeks of sitting alone twiddling my thumbs before I got chatting to people.
After 4 years I have made some fabulous friends, SW meetings are now a part of my life and I look forward to seeing my friends.

It may seem like everyone knows each other, but there are always newbies and they soon get to know people too. I find Image Therapy helps as you get to know people's personalities and what makes them tick :)

I actually think it's better to go alone as if you have a regular SW buddy and they don't want to go one week, you can often decide to give it a miss too and that's never a good thing!

I go alone, because when I started I was fairly new to the area and didn't know many people. I've been going since may, and now I don't feel like I go on my own because I've gotten to know people at class and it just feels like meeting up with friends for the evening.

My first class I was really nervous as I don't like going places on my own, especially groups. But I had a talk with myself and asked myself if I wanted to lose the weight more than I hated social situations, and the answer was yes. I'm so glad that I did because with the class and losing weight I've also found more confidence for other situations. I think my weight held me back so much and now I can let go of that a bit.

I "go" alone and there are a number of separate cliques in the group. It's a very large group and there are a number of women who come in get weighed and go. The C seems to mix me up with another woman and despite my attempts to correct her she keeps doing it. I haven't been for weeks (hence "go") and wonder if I will go back after the holidays. I don't mind attending on my own, after all this is 'all about me' so another person would be an emotional strain I am not sure I could take on right now.

I think the replies here are as varied as life and it depends on the person you are as well as the dynamics of your group. You know you best and will find your way.

Good luck!

i started slimming world with my bf mum and she dropped out due to being at target weight anyway and just joining to support me, i have been going since august on my own and its funny, cos we all sit in same places and all got to know eachother alot over past months

I went to meetings on my own (and plan to again after Christmas) and everyone was lovely. I just plonk down to someone/anyone and they'll usually say something, if not its only a few minutes before the meeting starts anyway.

I've found everyone is lovely at group, plus its only a hour out of my week, and I can cope if no-one talks to me for a hour :D

Good luck petal!

Hiya, I recently changed groups to a nearer one and I don't know anyone. Everyone seems to come with a friend or their partner and I'm on my own. I'm not a very confident person but I try and remember we are all there for the same reason and now after 4 classes and a food taster I feel a bit more relaxed and have had the odd chat with a few ladies. Believe in yourself we are all here to help one another and you are not on your own. :eek:)

Hi there,

I'm also new to SW and attend classes on my own. My chosen class is a small one and there are more older attendees than ones my own age. I guess for me this made it easy to go on my own. I always find people my own age to be intimidating or too competitive in these situations. Everybody is friendly and chats away (sometimes a little too chatty for my own tastes!). Theres no pressure to stay after weigh in so im going to preservere with the class rather than go it alone!

Natalie

I started alone too but if u stay too group and exchange ideas you get to know people and then the next week is much easier for you to talk. Just think everyones in the same boat

I went to my first meeting on my own and sat down with someone else new to fill in the forms and became firm friends. As time has gone on I've got to know more people and enjoy going.

I joined on my own didn't no a soul a friendly lot they are I don't no many Ppl were i live been here 5 years but not very friendly ... So i do most things alone and I prefer it that way :)

I don't go to the group with anyone, (either of the groups I've been to) and yes - at first it can be a bit "lonely" - and there may appear to be a few "cliques" as well, but over time you will find you integrate better into the group.

One thing to try - if it is possible, is (especially if it's a split session and you go to the later session) get there before weigh-in starts when people are queuing to go into the room - the banter we have with everyone (regardless of the apparent "clique" once in the room) is great (i'm actually surprised our consultant hasn't told us to be quiet as we're disturbing the first session yet).

Alternatively - find out when the busiest time for the booking-in/weighing-in desks are and try to be there for that - nowt like standing in a queue (and normally full of dread about the results) to get the tounges loosened.

WelshCake said:
I do everything alone as I recently moved to Birmingham and know no one, I did go to meetings but due to work hours changing I now cant go (I work from home) I go to the gym alone at 6.30am so I can do an hr come home shower breakfast then work, I'm dieting alone and I'm not doing too badly I've lost 50lbs

Not doing badly!!! 50lbs is amazing!!! Well done!

Back