Does it ever get easy

Does it ever get easy to Diet

• Total voters
Hi all

New to forum rooms, but hoping to find help and inspiration on my weight loss journey.
i weighed in at whopping 29 stone 12 pounds 2 years ago, ignored it hoping it would go away (yeah right)
in June 2009 i got a huge wake up call - my back went!!! with being so big i no one able to help me and spent 5 weeks bed bound on very strong medication.
I soon got back up and moving and back to work and eating the same old junk food. so im sure i hit over the 30 stone mark :cry:
In October 2009 a friend took me to join a gym. started very slowly indeed, couldn't even manage 3 mins on a crosstrainer.
I tried to calorie count and exercised 3 times a week and i did loose some weight. In fact it was a nice surprise in June this year when i joined slimming world ( for the 4th time) the scales read 26 stone 11.
With a lot of hard work i have now lost 6 stone in total with 2 stone 12 and a half pound lost at slimming world. But i still find it so easy to slip back to old habits. I was and think i still am super morbidly obese. I just long to be fit and healthy. but when i know how much damage junk food does i still cant find a happy medium to stay on the right track for life!!! :cry:

Well you've just motivated me! Wow, what a story. 29 stone is a hurdle I cannot imagine and I'm so impressed that you have kept going and lost so much already. Obviously, I've not had the same experience as you, but I'm finding it's getting easier now. But I think you have to be in the right head space. I'm super motivated this time, have a great group and some very supportive friends. For the first time in my life, I'm happy to tell people what I weighed, my weight now and my target. Not caring what people think anymore has been liberating and stopped me from hiding.

Have you thought of some counselling or something to find out why you over ate? There is always a reason and I think 90% of our problem with food is emotional. Once I got my emotional baggage sorted out, I've had far less bad days.
Keep it up, you'll get there and in a years time you'll be on tv as SW slimmer of the year

Have you thought of some counselling or something to find out why you over ate? There is always a reason and I think 90% of our problem with food is emotional. Once I got my emotional baggage sorted out, I've had far less bad days.

Good suggestion - even if i do something at home on your own but you have to work out why you are eating.
Is it boredom or to fill a gap caused by something else?
Once you know what it is, you can and will beat it.
Yes we'll always have to watch what we eat but hopefully we'll have learnt that we can have bad days, even bad wks and thats ok cause its counter balanced by the good wks/months

I was fortunate - I never had an serious health complications when I was at my heaviest - 27st8.5lb when I first stepped on those scales. My "wakeup call" was a photograph but I was a walking disaster waiting to happen.

"Does it ever get easy to Diet" you ask...

My advice - don't view this as a diet - but as a healthy eating choice. The generally understood meanings of the "D" word when used in terms of weightloss/management conjures up - well - just those meanings - depriving yourself, eating salad every day, going hungry, blah, blah, blah, blah - and allowing your body/mind to adapt to new ways of eating and viewing it as a concious choice and not as a "diet" will go along way to helping you towards your goals - and the occassional slip up also becomes much easier to recover from - as you move from "ohh bugger it, that's the diet gone to spout this week" to "OK, i had a chocolate bar, that's not going to stop me from doing my best the rest of the week". That change of thinking though comes from initially believing in the plan to help you get where you want to be, and in believing that you can get there. It doesn't - alas - come naturally, and it can take time before you actually realise that's the case (even though realistically - it'd been the case for some time).

Hi all

New to forum rooms, but hoping to find help and inspiration on my weight loss journey.
i weighed in at whopping 29 stone 12 pounds 2 years ago, ignored it hoping it would go away (yeah right)
in June 2009 i got a huge wake up call - my back went!!! with being so big i no one able to help me and spent 5 weeks bed bound on very strong medication.
I soon got back up and moving and back to work and eating the same old junk food. so im sure i hit over the 30 stone mark :cry:
In October 2009 a friend took me to join a gym. started very slowly indeed, couldn't even manage 3 mins on a crosstrainer.
I tried to calorie count and exercised 3 times a week and i did loose some weight. In fact it was a nice surprise in June this year when i joined slimming world ( for the 4th time) the scales read 26 stone 11.
With a lot of hard work i have now lost 6 stone in total with 2 stone 12 and a half pound lost at slimming world. But i still find it so easy to slip back to old habits. I was and think i still am super morbidly obese. I just long to be fit and healthy. but when i know how much damage junk food does i still cant find a happy medium to stay on the right track for life!!! :cry:

I read this and I am inspired! At nearly 20 stone, I am finding it very daunting to think about needing to lose about 10 stone and I've already slipped after the first 7lbs.

If you hadn't slipped at some point while losing 6 stone I would think you were some kind of dieting machine sent from the future!

You've done amazingly and I think you should be proud and celebrate what you've lost rather than feeling guilty about struggling every now and then x

yeah i agree, I see all these magazine articles in the paper where someones lost 10 stone in 8 months or whatever and I always think that those people are hand picked just for that. Most people toil and struggle over every stone. I sometimes wonder how much truth is in a lot of them to be honest!! xx

yeah i agree, I see all these magazine articles in the paper where someones lost 10 stone in 8 months or whatever and I always think that those people are hand picked just for that. Most people toil and struggle over every stone. I sometimes wonder how much truth is in a lot of them to be honest!! xx

For those who have (or had) a lot to loose - 8st in 10months is doable - (and i know other people then myself who have done that kind of loss (i was 8st in 8months - so yes they're true (i did take a very very very direct journey though - it's only now that i'm where i am that it's turned into the scenic route)).

Yes the papers, etc will pick on those kind of success stories and unfortunately don't pick up on some of the stories where as you say - people struggle over loosing each stone. Each journey though is individual but can be just as inspiring.

Don't shoot me but I'm finding it fairly easy. 5 stone 10 1/2lbs gone in 27 weeks.

I do stick to plan 99% of the time & go to the gym 3 times a week on average. I am very involved in my SW group, I take the money & always have people asking me for hints, tips & recipes. Because of this I do feel motivated.

Luckily I've not had any major health problems due to my size but the way my back & joints were starting to feel I have probably only caught it in the nick of time!

I'm not on a diet, I have changed my eating habits & I want this to be for life.

You have done amazing so far, don't beat yourself up if you have a blip-you are human.

One thing that really helped me was changed my anti-depressants, within a couple of weeks of starting these I was ready to loose weight.

Last edited:
I tend to find it easy, most of the time, but when I'm close to another award, or to get into the next stone range, I tend to go OMG WHAT and just panic and stress over it, which is never good.

But, as long as your head's in the right place, it's fine.

X

I do hate when I have 1lb or so to loose to get to the next award, next stone bracket etc. Much as it stresses me it also motivates me.

I think people are right saying you have to be in the right frame of mind. A couple of years ago I lost 1 1/2 stone on Rosemary Conley and found it easy because I was in the zone.

A few months later I was signed off work with depression and it took me over a year to come out of that funk, and I came out of it a lot heavier. I've struggled since but it's a catch 22 because a lot of my depression issues come from my weight and self esteem but I know the only way to fix that (well, other than working on my confidence) is to persevere.

So yeah, I think some people can get in the zone and give it their all and find the weight can come off quite quickly but if you're not in that zone than it can feel like an uphill struggle at times.
I really do believe though that everyone will get to the finish line, just not necessarily at the same time!

I tend to find it easy, most of the time, but when I'm close to another award, or to get into the next stone range, I tend to go OMG WHAT and just panic and stress over it, which is never good.

But, as long as your head's in the right place, it's fine.

X

Yeah I tend to do this too. I've been 2lb off my first stone award for nearly 3 weeks now! Its almost as if my body is clinging on in protest!
Putting pressure on yourself is probably the worst way to do damage (well for me anyway), I just keep plodding along knowing I'll get there someday.

I cant believe nearly a stone is off already and I dont feel like I've really done anything! (As in.. its been so easy to follow the plan!)

I'm not giving an answer on this poll because I literally think it's all 4 answers!

Yes it can be easy if you plan, make it fun, involve other people and challenge yourself.

No, there are just some times when it is terribly difficult, it seems like the world is there to tempt us. It's 1.30pm and I've had a post-WI binge because I'm sat at home doing nothing, worked it out at 62.5 syns. It was so easy to do, I don't feel like I've eaten a lot, and I physically feel sluggish and...just generally crap haha.

Yes, having the right guidance helps. As I've said it's so easy to slip off, having the facts there in front of you can help to keep you on track.

And definately yes, I could not be doing this without my friends and family's support. At times they make it harder (mum bought the mince pies I've eaten today) but at the end of the day they are my cheerleaders.

I have a lot of weight to lose and at times the challenge can just seem way too much. My advice would be to make your own targets, even pound by pound is great, and seek all the support around you that you can find. I have to say that even though I have never met any of these people on this forum, they have given me a kind of support I could never find elsewhere. Well, maybe at group.

I wish you well, as I am sure you wish me too, we can all get to where we want to be with a kind word and a nice thought once in a while.

I am aware of how Disney-ish that sounded, and frankly I am a little embarrassed haha

hi joanne, as you can see from my stats i am in a very similar position :sigh:

I don't think it will get easier i think i will just learn to adjust.
I am braking it into small targets and most importantly forgiving myself when i over eat in order to break the cycle.

I have changed my mind set with a lot of help and am now changing my life style.

I think we need to take it one day at a time, we didn't gain weight overnight, and we need to cut our selves some slack.

Good luck you are doing fabulously well xxxx

I don't think it ever becomes easy, but it becomes a way of life.

I have been dieting all my adult life, but I have been on SW for over 4 years now and although SW is easy to follow, it is not easy to stick to.

There are always temptations, nights out, coffee shops, offers in supermarkets etc etc etc and, if my resolve is low then I give in to the temptation.

I am not a naturally slim person, I have to work hard to lose and keep the weight off, and for me it is never ever easy.

Back